“Splendid French Pastries in Baltimore”
Review of Patisserie Poupon

Patisserie Poupon
Ranked #5 of 47 Bakeries in Baltimore
Cuisines: French
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Located near downtown Baltimore and within walking distance of Port Discovery Children´s Museum, this wonderful shop offers a wide array of French pastries: cookies, tarts, croissants, and wonderful cakes. The shop also makes superb Lilly coffee without much frill. The afternoon I visited I sampled a mixed fruit tart and an espresso. I also purchased macarons to take home. The tart was superb; nice fruits, delicately balanced flavor with an exquisite crust, full of flavor. The macarons were equally superb, full of flavor and fresh. They were a hit! Despite its unpretentious storefront and interior, it is a gem of a Pâttisserie. Worth the visit when you are in Baltimore.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

After my trip to Paris, where I fell in love with French macaroons, I sought out a bakery in Baltimore who made them. I found Patisserie Poupon in downtown Baltimore. I worked at Camden Yards at the time and would go in before work. It was a little over a mile away but with the traffic, it was about 10 mins drive. The bakery would sell between 4-6 different flavors each day. I have to say that their coconut and lemon are exceptional macaroons. The raspberry, strawberry, pistachio, and chocolate were all good, too but the coconut and lemon are standouts. Their price is around 90 cents per cookie.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

My kids loves their macarons! They come in different flavors and authentic as can be! If you've been to Paris, this is the closest one that you can get!

1  Thank Sprocket410
Reviewed January 20, 2013

While visiting a nearby business, I noticed a small bakery. After finishing my reason for being in the area, I decided to check out this bakery, dragging along my reluctant spouse. I went in expecting to find donuts and maybe bread (despite the French name) since that is what typically passes for a bakery these days. At least I could get a cup of coffee there.

To my utter delight, I found a real patisserie... one that could be anywhere in France and do well. As we walked in the door, we were greeted by one of the staff in a soft accent. The display cases were full ofreal pastries, tarts, and delicious sounding pastries. Almost all were annpunced not only by the name of the pastry but a description of the main ingredients. On the back wall, there were additional trays of danish-style pastries.

It was difficult to decide on what to have, so we left with a small treasure trove of baked goodness tucked inside a box,

The only drawback - - there were only two tables, occupied by well- ensconced patrons sipping expresso and coffee as they chatted across the tables.

We left with our box of treats a cafe americain and an expresso to delve into the goody box in the car. The Frasier was the first to disappear -- yummy goodness made of marscapone, strawberries and marzipan. A chocolate croissant was quickly devoured. Later that night, the chocolate souffle was delicious when heated at home in the microwave. The other delicious treats await us.

This was a mid- winter visit, I can only hope they put tables on the sidewalk in nicer weather so more people can relax and enjoy a coffee and real French pastry.

1  Thank luv2ride
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We got our wedding cake from Patisserie Poupon 5 years ago and still talk about how amazingly delicious it was. We got the Dacquoise (hazelnut cake with hazelnut, chocolate, and white chocolate) and it was unique in both looks and taste, just beautiful. Since then, we go back a few times a year to pick up another dessert (we got to sample many of their cakes when purchasing our wedding cake and they were all amazing - it was a difficult choice). If they had more room for tables (they have 1 or 2), we would definitely go more often. But when we are in the mood to pick up something amazing for dessert, this is our first choice.

1  Thank UseMassTransit