“Thank you Chef.”

Neighborhood: Canton
Carmel, Indiana
“Thank you Chef.”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I like to find good food when I travel. Something different. Something to challenge me a bit. Jack’s did all that. Get there early to find a seat at the bar because by 6pm it was packed… on a Wednesday! The first thing they get right is half priced wine bottles before 6pm. Can I take the unused portion home? Of course we’ll cork it for you! A good deal on wine became a steal at half price. The same offer extended to other drinks and they had some crazy concoctions available from the talented mixoligist.
My appetizer of muscles, lemon grass, jalapenos, fish sauce and shallots was a spicy contrast in flavors. I’ve never had anything quite like it and I enjoyed it immensely. The main course was Malaysian Laksa which include shrimp, chicken, noodles, boiled egg and cilantro in a wonderfully savory sauce. Quite filling and delightfully intriguing taste combinations. I kept trying the broth to understand its complexity because it was good enough to stand on its own. A large portion and I could not finish it all.
Finally, I have this completely arbitrary classification for fine dining and that is if they carry Madeira. Many place carry port as an after drink but that does not quite tickle my fancy as a nice Madeira. Of course it was on the menu and an already fine experience just transcended into a higher plane.
Sure it’s a neighborhood bar with a restaurant but the whole experience is everything I look for in a culinary adventure. At only $58 for my bottle of wine, appetizer and main course I would have paid twice that. Thank you Chef for introducing me to new flavors and dishes. I will be back.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank energydude

Weston, United States
“Food to Die For”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Jack's Bistro looks like a dive from the street, but the food is beyond wonderful. I had the sous vide duck, and it was delicious. My guest had perfectly-cooked fish. The sauces were so good. Desserts are not their thing, so go to the neighborhood gelato joint afterwards.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Martha D
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Nice Birthday meal!”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Small but seated right away in prime time (6:45 Saturday night), parking was available 2 blocks away on the street and our waiter assured us we would be ok (and he was correct). Quick service considering they were packed and the food was very good. Side of brussels sprouts were extremely appetizing and the crabcake was completely crab! (not used to that in PA!). Great value and we would absolutely return.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Doug P
Suttons Bay, Michigan, United States
“Unbelievably Good”
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

First, try the homemade tonic! Second, try the Meat and grits appetizer and/or the chocolate mac and cheese! Both really really delicious! We arrived early, got a table right away, servers were awesome!!! We come to Baltimore every year and will definitely be back!

3 Thank Heather J
Ashton, md
“Funky atmosphere, great food”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Four of us ate at Jack's before going to a movie at Harbor East. You can only make reservations for parties of 5 or more, so I was a bit worried since Jack's is pretty small. But at just a bit before 6pm on a Saturday we were able to get seated immediately. There is a good deal of street parking nearby.

I was the designated driver, but everyone else had the phenomenal sangria, which had nutmeg and other spices in it. We had a variety of dishes, which were all good but the menu changes rapidly. I had grilled kale salad and a spicy Mediterranean shrimp disk both excellent. One had the Bistro crab cake which was nothing special. The others had various appetizers, including a smoked tomato, some kind of cheesy grits and the baked oysters - all great.

The service is friendly, funny and fast - all in all one of the top places we've been to in Baltimore and definitely at the top of the list in Fells Point/Canton.

• Visited March 2014