“Poor choice of hotel”

Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Norfolk,VA
“Poor choice of hotel”
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Our first night we arrived late (approx. 8:30 p.m.) and were placed in room 720 - this room was supposed to be non-smoking but upon opening the door- stale cigarette smoke smell was present - stains on the ceiling in the bathroom and multiple burn marks in the center of the carpet of the room confirmed this. The wall beside the bed had two huge indentions with cracks in the plaster which appeared to be from some trauma (something being slammed into it). There was a constant dripping sound all night long either from the refrigerator or in the wall behind the refrigerator. Also, went to make coffee and the machine was dirty - had the grounds in the coffee maker from previous tenant still in the basket and the carafe had dried up coffee remnants. The overall cleanliness of this room was questionable. Needless to say we asked for a different room the next day and were moved two doors down to 718 the following night. In the new room, my son (5 yrs old) was walking beside the bed, towards the headboard, and his foot stuck to a sticky paper pest (mouse) trap that had been left there - thankfully, it did not contain any critters. We've been home for 5 days now and have found BED BUGS in my son's room which MUST have come from this hotel. This hotel is attached to the bus station (didn't know that when I booked the reservations) and unfortunately the bad element(s) that hang around bus stations wonder over to the hotel side - didn't feel very safe. The breakfast bar was Ok - the eggs were overcooked and so had a granulated texture. The view from our rooms was of the ghetto behind the hotel. Overall the look of this hotel was nice in the pictures but you can't hide yuck with nice decor once you're in it. I chose this hotel because of the shuttle service, indoor pool and complimentary breakfast - and those were the only perks worth staying at this hotel. Not worth it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Utah
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with my family. We stopped for a weekend layover in Baltimore on our way up north. We were pleasantly surprised by the overall service received at this hotel and would definitely recommend it to everyone wanting value, comfort, good service and cleanliness.
It started with the girl when we checked in, very nice and very helpful. We were directed to our rooms which were clean, fresh and well maintained. The beds were extremely comfortable!
Our stay included a nice breakfast each morning. There was plenty to choose from with a hot buffet type meal. It was free too! One of our family members has special dietary needs and we were very happy that the staff went beyond the norm in making something special both mornings. They even remembered what we needed the 2nd morning.
I would definitely stay here again. We received service with a smile and the staff were genuinely welcoming. Try this hotel, it's great service, good location with a shuttle to the inner harbor, and good value which is really important these days.
Until my next visit Baltimore......

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Stayed for several nights and found rooms most clean and roomy. Staff was NEVER too busy to answer any questions and were all most friendly. Very convenient to downtown and easy access to 95.
Was there for business and was close enough to sights to be visited.
Would always recommend and would stay again if necessary to visit area.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
louisville, ky
Reviewed February 25, 2010

my husband and i enjoyed our stay in baltimore and our experience at this best western. we were pleased at the convenience of the shuttle service which we used to see many downtown attractions. the staff was friendly and courteous and quite helpful to us. and when you visit, be sure to try the blueberry muffins!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
about baltimore
Reviewed January 22, 2010

I woke up to use the restroom and must have carried a bed bug on my night gown into the bathroom...it was crawling on the floor. Inspection of the bed under the mattress showed several of all sizes running toward the head of the bed.
Warning...these run many feet to get a blood meal so go from room to room. also with this many of them there was quite an infestation. Also food was in the sofa bed.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank bed-bugs-baltimore
JanetCampbell, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
I'm sure I speak for ALL Hotels when I say the bug problem is not a result of our housekeeping procedures. This is a problem brought in by a previous guest, confined to that individual room and eradicated immediately. We go to a lot of expense by discarding bedding to treat the room and even take it off market to aleviate the problem. We care about our guests and only want them to have a positive experience when staying with us.

Travelers are raving about these Baltimore hotels

Lancaster, PA
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Best Western Hotel and Conference Center is located in the middle of a gritty inner-city neighborhood, a sprawling graveyard and the docks. During my stay I experienced a police action in the hallway, rude employees and aggressive beggars.
The hotel is built on top of a sooty urban Peter Pan bus terminal. Though there is a card-pass interior security door between the hotel and the bus terminal/video arcade designed to keep the bus people and the hotel guests separate, some homeless folk simply walked around to the front door of the hotel to beg for cigarettes and change. One man asked me if I wanted sex.
On my first day, someone down the hall was wailing at the top of their lungs and pounding on the walls. Later, when I tried to go down for some dinner, I had to work my way through a crowd of armed, leather-jacketed Baltimore City police officers and hotel staff blocking the hall where my room was located and who brusquely told me they were trying to eject a "non-paying" guest. When I came back from dinner, they were still standing around the open door of the room, trying to get the crying woman to leave. No one responded to my request to be moved to a quieter, safer, room -- and it sure wasn't because the hotel didn't have any open rooms.
And it got worse from there, from an unclean room to rude housekeepers. The whole stay was one awful experience after another.
Worse, the staff was, in my opinion, not only utterly unconcerned but seemed to think that this was all very normal and somehow utterly acceptable. Maybe it is at Best Western Hotel and Conference Center.
Had I not been taking a seminar at the hotel, I would have checked out immediately.
Unbelievable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank Joe10Lancaster_PA
North Carolina
Reviewed November 28, 2009

After reading countless reviews of this hotel, I really wasn't expecting much but when we arrived very late Friday night we had no problems checking in and we were granted a room with a city view. (see picture) I was very happy with how clean the room was and they also came by & straightened up while we were down at the harbor on Saturday. The breakfast buffet had plenty of choices and even the picky teenager ate both mornings. Checkout was quick and easy as well. We did not use the free shuttle, you must schedule it way in advance but it was a very easy drive downtown. The sheets were great even though the beds were a little hard for my taste but all in all we had a very pleasant stay. We plan to use this hotel for any future trips to Baltimore.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family