“Clean But Beware”

Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #37 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed June 10, 2013

It was a very clean hotel, the staff was very nice and it had all the amenities. However some of the basics where not up to par. The mattresses were bad! We had 2 queens and on one of them I laid on the edge and rolled to the center of the mattress. When I told the staff the result was not any better. The Chair had a similar problem I sat on it in and sank into it. They need to replace there furniture. And the room was too small, we had asked for a crib for our son and it blocked the way to the desk. There is no way 4 people and luggage could stay in the 2 queen room comfortably.
There were no free electrical outlets to plug anything in. The outlet on the desk had the fridge plugged into it. And the TV remote worked only after pressing the button many many times in different angles.
Breakfast was decent, I liked the blue berry pancakes My wife didn’t like the eggs they were not that tasty. The pool was nice and clean and there was a life guard. Although it is probably the small hot tub I have ever seen. I couldn’t even dip my head in and the jets we so weak they might as well not be their.

The elevators were fast.

Room Tip: Maybe try the king not the 2 queens
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jakeb16
Janet C, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for your review. We just wanted to make you aware of the fact that we are now in the process of replacing all of the mattresses in the hotel. We have also ordered new furniture and will be updating the rooms one floor at a time.
Thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus when traveling into the Baltimore area!

A Best Western traveler
Reviewed June 1, 2013

2  Thank A Best Western traveler
Janet C, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were a little nervous driving to this hotel. Literally on the other side of the railroad tracks and not in a great area. However, we were pleasantly surprised when we walked in to see business clients checking in and lobby area was very nice. We were not happy when we walked into our room on the 9th floor. Had trouble with the room key, really smelled like stale cigarette smoke (this was a non-smoking room), really out dated TV, furnishings were dated and worn ripped desk chair,. Sitting on the bed I saw a black spider running across the cover (ewww nasty). Talked to Solomon at the front desk and he immediately up-graded us to a "Executive" room on the 12th floor. Thank you so much Solomon!! Nicer flat screen TV, nicer bathroom with better amenities, up-graded to a king size bed but mattress was soft and worn (found a small ant crawling IN the bed but not as scary as the 1st room with the spider), no desk chair at all, noisy older air-conditioner, leaking bathtub faucet, had trouble again with the room key not working. Had no trouble with the shower and water pressure/temperature. Not the best hotel but I guess it could be worse. But, I have to say the front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Shawn, the shuttle driver, was the nicest, friendliest guy you could ever meet. Gave us tips on where to eat, told us all about Baltimore etc. Loved riding the shuttle when Shawn was driving! Shuttle was a very nice perk but you had to pick a specific time to leave & return and make a reservation with the front desk (sometimes the day ahead if they are real busy). Didn't like that at all. We were lucky because it was kinda slow over Memorial Day weekend so getting a shuttle was not an issue. Breakfast was typical for this type of hotel, I'd say a little better than average. I would rate the 1st room "poor" and 2nd room as "average" and would only stay here again if I could be on the 10th-12th floors which are for their preferred loyal guests.

2  Thank zzmoo

Thank you for taking the time to write your very detailed review. I'm happy to tell you that we've recently replaced all of the TV's in the hotel with new flat screen TV's. We've also replaced all of the mattresses and new furniture is on order.
Excellent customer service is our goal, so I'm glad to hear that Mr. Soliman and Shawn were able to accommodate you. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was the worst hotel I've been in for a long time. If it had been for pleasure I would have left after seeing my room. I got a King suite. I'm not sure what kind of stain was on the love seat but I wouldn't sit on it. In the shower, on the ceiling is MOLD, how can that be possible these days! The dining room was filthy. I had nothing but trouble with getting into the room. You could see light all the way around the door at night that ended up being a very bright nightlight. Stay elsewhere and drive, if you need to, to where you are going. This isn't really near anything except a truck travel plaza. Very confusing when you drive in.

Room Tip: The king suite has two A/C units that run constantly. This door was not properly hung which impeded...
1  Thank jmca110

We apologize for the problems you had with check-in and the Maintenance and Housekeeping issues with your room. We are constantly striving to address these issues and appreciate your input. I hope you were able to let the Front Desk know of these problems so they can report them to the proper Department heads. Please contact me so I may extend a discount for another stay with us. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

It takes me quite a bit to be disgusted in the lower budget type of facilities, but this joint is a sheep in wolf's clothing. The lobby looks very nice when you first walk in, but man, once you jump on an elevator to go to your room, it's like going to the twilight zone. We checked in around 11pm, the attached disco was very loud from the lobby area, thankfully our room was on the other end of the hotel. The interior of this hotel has not been updated in 20 years by the looks of it, and it smells of it too. There's a dank, musty, smoky odor EVERYWHERE. A cockroach was literally on the wall next to our door when we went to enter. There were stains on the carpet in the sleeping area, a cracked picture in the bathroom, and the room stank just like the hallway. Water pressure in the shower was lousy. The beds were ok comfort wise, and everything in the room worked ok, which is why I didn't give the place just one star. But seriously, shampoo the freaking carpets at least. Peeling and chipped wallpaper throughout the hallways everywhere as well. Don't try scrimping on price, pick one of the better rated hotels closer to the Harbor if you value a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Stay far away from the disco side of the hotel if you want a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Weezulman

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Renovations have already begun and we recently finished replacing all of the TV's and the mattresses in the hotel. New furniture has been ordered and should be in place by August.
We are under contract with a pest Company and they have already been here to apply an extra application because of a guest complaint.
I hope you will reconsider and come back for another visit at a discounted rate. Please call my office and mention this review.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pjyoung02

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Everytime we stay here we have a pleasant experience. No matter what time we arrive for checkin the front desk staff are extremely helpful with directions and suggestions. The waitstaff at Tradewinds are very friendly and attentive and the filet mignon is very tasty. Housekeeping is very nice and flexible based on personal needs. The pool is very warm.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Janet C, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

We appreciate your kind words. It's nice to hear that our Front Desk staff was able to assist you with directions and other information and that your filet mignon was more than satisfactory. Our goal is to provide you with excellent service during each visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baltimore
Inner Harbor
Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor

Been to Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!