“Wonderful, luxurious hotel in a surprisingly quiet part of town.”

1840s Carrollton Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Baltimore B&B and Inns
Washington DC
“Wonderful, luxurious hotel in a surprisingly quiet part of town.”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

My wife and I had a fantastic time celebrating our first anniversary at the 1840s Carrollton Inn. It is in an excellent location, just a few blocks from the inner harbor with all its entertainment and attractions. Additionally, the Inn is just a block or two away from Baltimore's Little Italy, with dozens of excellent restaurants. The staff gave us a complimentary upgrade to a suite and we received a half-off rate by booking the day before our stay, meaning we ended up with a killer deal. Breakfast was excellent and the room (the Scholars Room) was exquisite. The Inn is in a surprisingly quiet part of town, and we slept undisturbed through the night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alaskadavid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My wife and I decided to spend the night in Baltimore for our first anniversary. We found the Carrollton Inn to be exactly what we wanted. It's an old mansion originally owned by an American patriot. There is a very nice court yard in the center of the inn and it is close to all the attractions and the waterfront.

Our room, the patriots room, had a 4 poster bed, very comfy and a whirl pool tub. It had a fake fireplace that lit up and it was a great place to spend a romantic night with the woman I love.

They give you a full breakfast in either the dining room, courtyard or in your room for free and we chose to have it in our room. The french toast and pancakes are to die for. The staff was also really great.

The only downside is that the walls are really thin and since we were on the ground floor we could hear the breakfast being prepared and doors opening an closing. This might be better on the upper floors.

I would definitely recommend this inn to everyone I know who is looking for a place in Baltimore that's romantic.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PhillyCodeHound
Central Jersey
Reviewed August 16, 2009

My husband and I just returned from spending two nights at the 1840s Inn and absolutely loved it. We stayed in the Equestrian Room, and it was perfect. I especially enjoyed the whirlpool tub! The breakfasts were wonderful, and we enjoyed starting each morning in the beautiful courtyard. The staff was extremely helpful. We also really enjoyed how quiet the Inn was, it almost felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.
We we booked our trip, we weren't very familiar with Baltimore or where we would was to be spending our time, but we found the location of the Inn to be perfect. It was a quick and easy walk to the Inner Harbor and the water taxi stops, and we enjoyed strolling through Little Italy right next door. At the same time, we were far enough away from all the huge hotels on the water that we could easily escape all the commotion there.
Hands down, this was the best Inn we have ever stayed in, and we hope to return again in the future. Staying at the 1840s Inn made our vacation for our first anniversary everything we could have hoped for.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ImplodingChickens
NYC
Reviewed July 27, 2009

My girlfriend and I spent two nights in the Carrollton Inn. We called ahead of time to see if it was an LGBT friendly place, and it was. The staff was very helpful and they went out of their way to make us comfortable. We reserved the Scholar's Room but got a complimentary upgrade to the Annapolis Suite. The room was beautifully furnished and clean. The Inn is in walking distance to most tourist attractions, and local bus stops are nearby. We found the city of Baltimore itself to be just "ok" - but staying at the Inn made the trip worth it. Our only suggestion for the Inn staff would be to provide more variety for the breakfast items. Having stayed at different B&Bs before, we've found that one of the highlights of the trip is having a different breakfast menu each day. Other than that, it was a great stay!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thefanmyj
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We stayed at this Inn while visiting a relative in the hospital. The location was fabulous - close to the Inner Harbor and around excellent restaurants including the famous Obrycki's Crab House - just down the street and open until 11PM on weekends which was perfect for our schedule. Our room and how it was appointed was just spectacular. The room overlooked the courtyard and was quiet and we could see gorgeous trees through every window. The bed was HUGE and unbelievably uncomfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed the made to order breakfast (we took ours in our room) and the service provided by the staff. We felt welcome and well cared for. We look forward to returning and staying at the 1840s Carrolton Inn again soon!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeoSin
Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2009

I loved this B&B. It was great. The breakfast was awsome. They had so many options for food and they were very nice. The only down fall is that we had the corner room that was on the corner of two streets. INDEPENDENCE SUITE The room was awsome my husband and I had a great time together but at night all I could hear was EMTs, Cops, and in the morning construction workers. I was so mad I spent money on a beautiful room that was destroyed by the city sounds. As my husband said, its because I'm used to living out of the city. My husband slept through it, but me, I did not. I would say, if your a city person it probably wont bother you BUT if your not used to hearing all the sounds RETHINK that room. Some rooms are inside the block so the sounds would be drowned out but ours was not. Do not get me wrong. I loved this place, it was beautiful. It was withing walking distance of little italy and areas where you could shop and dine. The best part was the romance package. It was great, it set the mood well. ;) Also, it had plates, silverwear, china, tea, coffee, water, wine glasses, fridge, and microwave. So if you want to tuck yourself in for the weekend you can surely do that with their set up.

• Liked — it was great for romance
  • Disliked — suroundings were loud and annoying
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank iveyslove82
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2009

We stayed here in November when we had to visit the Johns Hopkins Hospital. This place was absolutely phenomenal from the moment we arrive to the moment we left.

The staff was extremely friendly when we arrived. She took us up to the room we were staying in, which was the Equestrian Room. The decor was simply beautiful. When we were inside our room we noticed that there were some fresh roses left for us. The hotel itself is located on a quiet street in a safe neighborhood. Within walking distance is a plethora of great Italian restaurants.

In the morning we were treated to an excellent breakfast. You are given a menu and can choose whatever you like and they will make it fresh for you, all included in the price of course. There is a large selection of everything so even the pickiest eater will be happy. Also included in the price of the hotel is a complementary taxi ride to and from Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The decor and level of service here was second to none. It is not the cheapest place to stay in Baltimore, but it is definitely the best. I would very, very highly recommend it, you won't regret staying here!

• Liked — The decor was second to none
  • Disliked — A little pricy, but well worth it
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Brichacek