“Amazing Inn, Disappointing Experience”

1840s Carrollton Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Baltimore B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the 1840s Carrollton Inn before. We love the ambiance of the inn and thought that it would be the perfect spot to spend our wedding night. We were actually booked at the Hotel Monaco in Baltimore (also a lovely hotel) and cancelled in order to stay here. I booked the room many moths in advance and paid for the Romance and Roses package, so that there would be chocolates, roses, rose petals, and votive candles spread throughout our favorite room upon our arrival. It seemed like it would be the perfect way to spend our wedding night. I called a few days ahead of time to confirm our room, arrival time, and purchase of the package. I was told that everything was in order. When we arrived at the inn, our limo driver got out and rang the bell. After several minutes, he returned to the car and told us that no one had answered the door. Worried, we got out of the limo and began calling the front desk and ringing the doorbell over and over. We were incredibly worried that we would have no place to spend the night. 15 minutes later, the man who was supposed to be behind the desk came running around the corner apologizing. He had forgotten his medication at home and had left the desk unattended. We tried to be understanding, but our experience certainly sucked some of the romance out of the night. When we arrived upstairs, there were no roses, rose petals, etc. At this point, we felt defeated and tired and decided to just go to bed. The next morning, I went downstairs to speak with the desk about what happened. They explained that they wrote down that our Romance package was for the next night (even though we weren't booked to stay and I called to confirm earlier). When I asked to speak to the manager, he offered to refund our package. When I explained that this was hardly satisfactory, he had an offered us a $100 discount off of our next stay (with an attitude). I was tired of fighting and the unapologetic attitude, and accepted the gift card. To me, even this didn't come close to making up for our ruined wedding night. It's supposed to be one of the most magical nights of our life, and we'll never get it back again. Although I've been a loyal customer to 1840s Carrollton Inn in the past, I can't bring myself to go back now. In retrospect, we just shouldn't have switched hotels. I'd say this inn is a lovely place to spend a casual, romantic weekend, but I no longer feel like you can count on them for big events.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica F
Dianna L, Manager at 1840s Carrollton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

The 1840s Carrollton Inn is known for unforgettable experiences and luxurious accommodations. The management and staff are extremely disheartened to learn of your disappointing experience. From the time a guest walks through the door to check in to the time that they leave our establishment, we strive to make sure that every second in-between is pleasant and accommodating. Lack of service from the staff of the 1840s Carrollton Inn is inexcusable. Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience and realize that you probably chose a bed & breakfast accommodation for your stay because of the personal service and attention to detail characteristic of our industry. The details and requests negligently overlooked during your stay have been brought to the staff's attention and we will continue to work to improve service in every aspect. We certainly cannot replace your wedding night, but we would love the opportunity to have you as our guests once again to show you the attention to detail and welcoming experience that you deserve!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Everything about this place is QUALITY! Our stay was perfect and room was spacious yet cozy! We stayed in the Declaration Suite right off the courtyard. I was impressed how quiet it was! We ordered coffee and tea and it was delivered to our suite and we opted to have breakfast in the dinning room. Had we stayed more than one night I wold have chosen to be served in our room! Amazing breakfast! My omelet was cooked with great attention to detail! The egg was thin and tender and contents quite delicious! Hubby had French toast and he remarked that it was the best he'd ever eaten!

Room Tip: The fitness center none but walking around Little Italy was wonderful! Swimming...gee there is alwa...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Patriot's Room this past weekend and it was amazing!! We were warmly greeted and the lady from the front office. They provide complimentary bottle water, two soda, and even two bags of popcorn! The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were nice and soft. The two person bath was awesome and had a light inside the bath! Woot! They offer a great validation price at the parking garage...normal price is $34 and they pay $24 of it! There are many great restaurants a few blocks away in Little Italy...goto La Tavola! Also walking distance from Inner Harbor, National Aquarium and sever shopping areas. Must go! I'll def be going back! They also offer a pretty good selection of breakfast foods and free K-Cup coffee whenever you like.

P.S. If you need a nice place to stay, go to 1840s Carrollton Inn!

Room Tip: There are some room right next to the road and there are others next to a little garden area...check...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We used a Groupon we had received from my daughter for Christmas and stayed in the Scholar's Suite. It was one of the most romantic and best birthdays ever! The breakfast was delicious! We look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed here the night before and of my wedding. The room was spacious and wonderful . The service was top notch. At any moment of the day or night my questions and needs were addressed. I can't say a bad thing about the 1840's Carrollton Inn or the staff

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We spent July 4th night at the Inn and had a wonderful time. Within walking distance to the inner harbor, fireworks, was very nice. Our room was nice - spacious, clean, quiet. I am not certain but I think it was the Independence room (in the corner on the left at the top of the stairs). The breakfast was excellent. My only complaint is that the floors in the room were very slippery.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Long story short, you MUST stay here if you can, you get BETTER accommodations than the hotels in the area, plus a romantic ambiance that is unmatched by any other place in the area.

Why?

While the 1840s has a lot of historical charm, it also has the top notch accommodations of the modern hotels surrounding them. Then again, it has more: how many of those places have amazing whirlpool baths for two AND flat panel televisions AND attentive and smart staff AND the most luxurious king and queen sized beds ever AND a great breakfast WITHOUT the crowded feeling of a hotel?

The location is excellent, as we always walk to our favorite restaurants and attractions in Little Italy or downtown proper, which are both just minutes away on foot.
In the spring, summer, and fall, the atmosphere around the area is great.
In the winter, if it's tool cold to go out you could easily and comfortably spend a good part of your day in the luxurious bed reading (the pillows are great), watching TV, talking, or soaking yet again in the whirlpool tub.

We've been five times (starting with Wedding Night 2008) and are planning another visit in January. And do make sure you sign the guestbook, it's fun to read the comments that previous guests leave!

Room Tip: The sunrise can sometimes be really bright, so ask for one of the rooms facing the inner courtyard i...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple