“Awesomely Quaint” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 13 Baltimore B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Awesomely Quaint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

My boyfriend and I were looking for a room with a fireplace and stumbled upon the Gramercy Bed & Breakfast. The rates are a little high but it was a romantic getaway for the new year and we figured we'd spend about the same money if we went to a party or gala. It was the BEST decision that we've ever made. We booked at 6 and arrived by 8. The area is a little secluded at that time of the night and the B&B provides breakfast not dinner (but they will arrange dinner service and provide a listing of restaurants and delivery services). The room we stayed in (Bar Harbour) was exquisite. The room is comfortable and we felt that we had enough room without feeling like we were being invaded by others, as a matter of fact we had the entire wing to ourselves. We met another couple at check in and saw another couple at breakfast but that seemed to be it. After a very restful night in one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in in a very long time, we went down to a delicious breakfast. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, juice, coffee, eggs cooked at request, pancakes and French toast and crispy beacon. They ask that you highlight what you would like for breakfast the night before and the time that you would like to have breakfast and it was perfectly timed with excellent service. The owner, Anne, came and greeted us as well as provided us with the history of the B&B. The staff are very helpful and willing to provide whatever is needed to make your stay comfortable. The property has a pool, tennis court, hiking trails and various activities to keep children and adults entertained. We eagerly await our next visit, we feel that we have found a diamond at the end of a long, lonely road. Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — evrything but price
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2008

My husband and I love this wonderful B&B. We stay here several times a year just to get away, relax and reconnect as a couple. The rooms are awesome with special touches like jetted tubs, extra towels, candles, robes, fireplaces, refrig, etc. We love the Tudor or Tower Rooms the best but each room has something special. Breakfast is always great and we love the before breakfast coffee delivered to the room. They don't have a restaurant but we like to take advantage of the monthly catered "wine dinners" as a special bonus. The grounds are pretty for a casual stroll and bird watching but the common rooms and hallways are well used and just beginning to show it. Overall it's a beautiful place and a great get-away.

• Liked — each room has a fireplace and most have jetted tubs
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

I am finally coming to the end of my To Do list from this summer… and I would be greatly remiss in not sharing my experience on a lovely July night at Gramercy Mansion.

I chose to attend one of the ongoing events “Wine Dinners”… presented monthly. It was a night of Champagne Caviar, an extended course of gourmet food pleasingly presented and pleasantly served. The Chef’s humourous explanations added the extra touch. The owners of Gramercy were in attendance and could not have been more gracious. They hosted several walk abouts in the mansion, pointing out art and architectural details.
My husband and I also took walks along the fragrant and colourful garden paths.

Unfortunately we were unable to get a room at the inn for the night, we then chose to stay at the 1840’s Carrollton Inn also owned and managed by the Owner’s. We arrived very late, were cordially received and slept soundly in elegantly decorated room.
Is is a great location to explore the Inner Harbour of Baltimore..
After a scrumptious breakfast with attentive staff in attendance we set out for a fun day…
We plan on a re visit to Gramercy

Stayed July 2008
oc md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

I Would LikeTo Thank The Staff For The personal service and Tthe Cleaness. my wife had just finnished around of chemo they went over and beond to make our stay enjoyable we would like to thank william & cristine for the personal attention and the tour off the beautiful grounds I know you took time out of your busy day for us. The staff and the gronds on a proffesional level from An partner in the sevice industry was top notch.no one knew my proffesion as a chef . to us they set the standard for b&bs hope to be back soon.

LEN & ROB O.C. MD.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

We had my daughter's wedding at Gramercy Mansion at the end of May. We couldn't have asked for anything more. Everything was just perfect and we were delighted. Many of the wedding guests stayed at the Mansion overnight and they all loved their uniquely decorated and appointed rooms. The grounds are breathtaking and even though you are so close to Baltimore there is complete serenity. The morning after breakfast was delicious and the staff were so gracious and helpful. If you are looking for peace and tranquility with a touch of class, this place is for you.

• Liked — Beautiful old Mansion filled with antiques
  • Disliked — I have no complaints
  • Stayed May 2008
SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

Secluded property with charming rooms and excellent service. Rooms were clean and well appointed; staff was helpful and flexible. A full breakfast included - excellent pancakes, French toast and fruit dishes; they will accomodate dietary needs. Five minutes from the Baltimore beltway and around 1/2 hour to downtown.

• Liked — Spacious Rooms, lots of public space to spend time. Nice breakfasts
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

Had always wanted to have a romantic getaway at this Bed and Breakfast. To my surprise, my special someone came through near Valentines Day and I greatly anticipated the visit.

It was raining when we arrived up the steep, curvy drive that brought us around to the main house. I immediately noticed it did not look much like the beautiful photos the website proudly boasts.

Perhaps it was just the season (mid Feb in Baltimore isn't exactly beautiful and floral..) but it seemed the property was neglected and overgrown. It was clearly not something that happened overnight. It looked like it had been abandoned and more something out of a creepy movie than a romantic getaway. Not what I had in mind.

The house was staffed by one person. One. Thats it. One person for this huge house and she left around 10pm making it empty and to me, unsafe. She left the keys for a guest who was arriving late taped to the front door...where anyone could have got to them. That bothered me. That guest ended up walking most of the driveway in the middle of the night to get to the hotel due to the condition of the driveway , and then arrived to a keys taped to the front door....I dont know who was more disappointed...him or us.

Weather was bad keeping us in for the night as the driveway iced over making our going to dinner impossible, so we didn't eat that night. We made do with a hot bath and an early bedtime and held out for breakfast.

Breakfast wasn't bad but it was certainly no gourmet meal. Not any different in quality than what you would find at a pancake house. No complaints just seems to me the descriptions are a bit overblown and overmarketed.

For the price, I would have done better at a Marriott, and had access to SOME kind of food in the event of another iced driveway.

Perhaps another time,

and another place.

I think The Gramercy may have at one point lived up to the description, but it seems the desire to maintain it has been lost, sadly. It would serve better as a historic home to tour and it's current other strategy...weddings.

I would suggest to them a serious reduction in rate as a bed and breakfast or investing some time and money into the presentation. If unwilling to do either, perhaps less advertising that creates a luster of the mansion that leaves one searching while looking right at it.

A business is like a marriage. You can't expect it to always be new and fresh so you have to work at it to keep it that way. It didn't appear anyone was interested in doing that. The passion for making this house wonderful apparently died somewhere. Complacency in business is a dangerous thing.

For an example of quality service, appearance and overall value, go south to Charlottesville, VA to the Foxfield Inn. Splendid in every way. Mary Pat and John are good people, dedicated to their home and business, appreciative of the clients, prideful of their home and know a little something about modest advertising and exceeding expectations.

• Liked — I like older homes in general and out-of-the-way locations
  • Disliked — Like staying in an abandoned house with an IHOP style breakfast for 300 bucks a night
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple