Gramercy Mansion
$172
$159
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
Days Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor(Baltimore)(Great Value!)
$175
$127
$119
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor(Baltimore)(Great Value!)
$231
$210
  • Pool
All reviewstudor roomtower roomambassador roomhunt roomromantic getawayrose petalswedding venuebed and breakfastromance packagebreakfast was deliciousnext morninggas fireplacewedding nightbeautiful propertywonderful staycassattrelaxation
Reviewed March 5, 2012

After several very trying weeks on the home front, my wife and I decided to spend a weekend at Gramercy Mansion for a much needed rest.  Upon our arrival at approximately 8:15 pm, Jill, the concierge, greeted us very warmly and showed us to the Tudor room.  Just as we had begun to unwind from long drive, at 9:00, I heard what I thought was a screaming child.  "Fine," I thought.  "Some family has just returned from dinner and the child will be put to bed soon."   Bringing a loud child to a bed and breakfast-though perhaps inconsiderate-is not a crime.  Next came the sound of what seemed to be five children running back and forth in the room above us, and yelling more loudly.  Then about ten more were yelling and stomping up and down the stairs outside our room, and in and out of the room directly above.  It sounded like a combat zone.  "Give them until 9:30," my wife said.  I tried.

After we reached our limit, my wife notified Jill of the ruckus, who proceeded to investigate and told my wife that the noise was not coming from above us but from some the owner's child's birthday party.  After Jill consulted with owner regarding the noise, we were assured that the girls would settle down and be quiet.  The noise worsened. In addition to the little kids above us, we heard girls talking and running around.  It being an old house, the noise traveled far.  We decided to leave while we still had time to find a room elsewhere.

After my wife returned to our freshly packed bags with our refund confirmation, she informed me that the owner did not even come out to offer an apology for the mayhem.  No apology, no offer to change rooms.  Nothing.  Fortunately for us, the mayhem began early enough for us to be refunded, leave, and check into a proper hotel.  Had we waited an hour, and the reception desk would have been vacant.

Family is important to me, but a business should be run as such.  If the owner of an upscale bed and breakfast wishes to operate the establishment in an unprofessional and inhospitable manner, that is her prerogative, but I refuse to pay $275 per night (or any amount) to experience it.  Gramercy would have been my first bed and breakfast, so I cannot recommend any to acquaintances seeking suggestions.  I can, however, recommend one they should never visit.  Absolutely dreadful.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank Mamalookaboobooday
bnbsweetie, Public Relations Manager at Gramercy Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

First of all, thank you for reserving a stay at Gramercy and venturing to try a bed and breakfast for the first time. We sincerely apologize for any disturbances that prompted you to cut your stay short. We feel terribly that your first B&B stay was not a more positive experience.

While we do acknowledge that many of our guests are couples seeking a quiet and romantic retreat, we are a family-owned and family-friendly bed and breakfast as well. As such, we often welcome children as our guests. There is rarely a problem with poor behavior or excessive noise.

We wish to once again extend our deepest apologies. I do hope that you will remain open-minded in considering bed and breakfasts for future accommodations, keeping in mind that each property is as unique as its owner and some may suit your needs more than others.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was our first B&B and it sure will not be our last.. Easy check-in also ! Our room was nice (garden view) with the fireplace being a plus. Breakfast sunday morning was great! French Toast and our omlettes stood out the most. We had a short stay but with no issues. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stepping from the car after the drive down the long, neglected driveway, we noticed a number of paint cans leaning against the front of the house, half-hidden by the massive bushes. The entrance was drab and dirty with mail thrown carelessly on a table, as if the intendent recipient had long stopped collecting it. After ringing the doorbell and waiting several minutes, a gentleman appeared to let us in but swiftly skittered away to attend to other customers without saying a word to us. We found the reception area, checked in, and were taken to our room by a pleasant young woman. We had booked the Tower Room, right next door to, what appeared to be, the repository for Good Will rejects. We later found out that the objects entombed there were antiques for sale.
The Tower Room had been decorated with hodge-podge of "antiques" with almost no surface left unscathed. In the corner, by the armoir holding the flat screen TV stood not one, but two plastic trees, coated liberally with dust, as was the "silk" floral arrangement perched on the corner of the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. There were candle holders, but alas, no candles. The bathroom was spacious and by and large clean, except for the rungs on the rocking chair in the corner which had not been dusted for a very, very long time.

The room seemed clean but with all that dust, one had to wonder just how clean it really was. The king-sized bed was covered with a polyester bed spread that we later found out was stained on the opposite side. The mattress dipped toward the middle, and it was necessary to grip the side of the bed to enjoy any of the width. There were many uncomfortable chairs in the room all with worn and stained fabric seats. It had been a very warm for January day, but the room was heated to about 78 degrees and only one small window opened into the bedroom and it was adorned with a heavy swag that was, wait for it, dusty. There was a ceiling fan and it whirled lazily overhead, helping not much.

After a sleep deprived night, a large breakfast was delivered to our door by two women. My husband liberally tipped the server and was rewarded with a begrudging thanks. The window for the inclusive breakfast is 7:30 to 9:30, ridiculous for a Sunday morning. Nevertheless, the fruit was fresh and the coffee was good. The eggs benedict were tasteless and the english muffin they sat on was hard as a rock . Since salt and pepper were not delivered with the breakfast, my husband picked up the phone to request some. He was diverted to voice mail necessitating a trip downstairs in his bathrobe.

After breakfast, we were more than ready to be on our way. We dropped the key on the desk and walked out. No one said "good-bye", no one asked how our stay had been, no one wished us bon voyage. We walked to the car, peered at the abandoned basketball court/large trash dump and the soggy, left-in-the-rain settee and checked it all off to experience.

I'm not one to write overly negative reviews but the prices these people are charging are outrageous for the run-down, shabby facility they are operating. We've stayed at bed and breakfasts, both posh and simple and have always been happy with the accomodations. We appreciate the "antique" look when it's done with taste. Gramercy Mansion wins our prize for doing almost everything wrong.

Room Tip: Run away, do not book.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank michele7770127
bnbsweetie, Guest Relations Manager at Gramercy Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Dear Michele,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and experience. We sincerely apologize for your disappointment with your stay. Please know that we have taken your criticism to heart. All feedback enables us to continually improve our property and guest services.
Thank you once again for making us aware of items that need attention. We will be sure to address them so that future visitors have a more positive experience.
We wish you happy future travels.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our 5 year. We purchased our stay using the GroupOn deal promotion that ran Fall 2011. The first B&B experience for both of us and we were very impressed. Our first night we stayed in the Bar Harbor room. It was comfy, the decor lovely. Every thing we needed to be at peace. They had a wine dinner that was held that night did not intrude on our evening, I couldn't hear a thing. We opted out of the dinner, assuming that it would cater to an older audience (we're in an our 20s) and we were right. But the set up and food looked nice from what we could see.

The second night we stayed in the Cassatt Suite. AMAZING! It's on a its own floor, so it felt a bit more like we were "living it up" in VIP. It has a small patio (great for the spring/summer). The bathroom, was probably my favorite part about the rooom. Seperate shower and jacuzzi tub for 2. Heated floors! And you'd think heated floors aren't a big deal but they are. I just wanted to stand in the bathroom just for kicks.

We had food delivered to our room from the catered service they offer. They didn't include heating instructions but, it's fairly simple to heat up food. It was okay for the price and the convenience. But not sure if we'd do it again. If you decide to do it, definitely get the crab cakes.

Room Tip: Get a Suite. The difference is major between the standard rooms and suites.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary recently at the Gramercy Mansion. We both felt it was the perfect way to celebrate. We loved walking around to see all the special Christmas decorations. Our room had a fireplace and we had plenty of wood to keep the fireplace going, the breakfast was absolutely delicious. I ordered the french toast which I highly recommend - there was so much there I could not finish it. This is the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion. We will definitely return to the Gramercy.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
bnbsweetie, Guest Relations Manager at Gramercy Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your review with other travelers! We're so happy you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate many more special occasions. If you visit our website and sign up to join our e-mail club, you'll receive our monthly newsletters with B&B specials and packages for a future visit. Wishing you a very happy New Year!
Jennifer