“Just like home... (wear and tear included)”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed July 16, 2012

You know you like a property when you return year after year. This hotel is very convenient and is still very good. It has a generous breakfast, a "lodge", a wine reception every weekday, an AMAZING fitness facility and is in the right neighborhood. I do have to admit that the room has its battle scars and the management has not worked hard enough on fixing them. There are scuffs and blotches all over the room and it no longer seems new (only 12 months have lapsed!). This can be fixed with a little more attention to detail. Don't get me wrong: This is still my choice for a spacious, generous, comfortable and convenient stay in Baltimore. Don't let it deteriorate anymore as this gem may be tarnished. Staff is attentive and nice. Location is unbeatable and amenities are adequate. Kudos for free internet!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the internal plaza or the fountain
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ViajeroESQ
Delens, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your visit to Baltimore. I am very pleased you continue to enjoy the amenities and service provided to our guests. I also appreciate the details regarding the wear and tear. While it takes a little more time to replace items than we prefer, we absolutely control the overall cleanliness and I will share the details of the stains with Housekeeping Management. I am sorry for how this impacted your visit. Again, thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed July 15, 2012

This shares it's property with a Hilton Garden Inn next door. Both are give you fee access to the Maryland Athletic Club. So if you are looking for a good gym at your hotel, this is hands-down the best spot in-town. Homewood Suites is definitely engineered for extended stays, and is solid with a small kitchen and sitting area. My stints are shorter, and the HGI on the other side, has a better chair and desk for work. Both properties share the restaurant, so the breakfast is the same and quite nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to Baltimore and I am pleased you enjoyed the Maryland Athletic Club so much during your visit. I will share your comments with them. We agree with your suggestion to stay in the Hilton Garden Inn for shorter visits and the Homewood Suites with full kitchen for longer visits - and both hotels are located at the same address! Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great hotel, close to everything. In the Little Italy neighborhood, go to Mo's Crab and Pasta Factory awesome foodthen go to Vaccaro's for dessert both are within a 5 minute walk...you won't be disappointed! Stayed here with my family and had a great time. My only complaints would be that the carpets needed cleaning and the fan in the bathroom was very loud and couldn't be turned off, but everything else was wonderful!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend. The hotel is in a good location, near Little Italy, Fells Point and Inner Harbor. We arrived around 11:30 on Friday and parked in the open air lot near Pier 6 Concert Pavilion since check in wasn't until 4. We left that lot, paying the max rate of $22, and went to check in. Check in was long, the two people ahead of me took forever. The woman who checked us in gave us very little info, and handed us the key. I asked about parking, which I think would be standard to inform the guest about, and she said it was $32 for valet, $22 for self parking in the lot behind the hotel which did not include in & out access. I thought I heard her wrong, and she clarified that it did not include in & out access. I think when you are paying the rates that you do for a room parking could be a little more reasonable. We ended up parking elsewhere, since weekend rates are cheaper at other garages. I saw one in Fells Point that was $3, unfortunately not until I was already parked! The room itself was okay. Of course it had the little kitchen area which is nice. One of our sheets had an old blood stain on it, so we called down to get a new sheet and within 15 minutes the maid had come up and replaced it and remade the bed. I thought that was nice, most times they just hand it to you. The bathroom and rest of the place seemed clean. We didn't utilize most of the amenities. We did go down for breakfast. It was ok, wasn't the best Hilton chain breakfast I've ever had, but it wasn't crowded, which was nice. All in all it wasn't a bad hotel, but it wasn't one of the best I've ever been at either. Just average. You're paying for location I guess. We did enjoy James Joyce, the Irish Pub across the street and our favorite place in Fells Point was One Eyed Mikes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank GSP13
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed a week at the hotel with family. Lots of little issues to frustrate the week but otherwise excellent choice for a family visit to Baltimore Inner Harbor.

Pros:
Location (you can walk to most shopping, dining and entertainment in inner harbor). CCC. Room Size(better than average). Free Breakfast. Duty Manager. Great gym & Indoor Pools for adults.

Cons:
Expensive and very busy parking (can take you 20-30 minutes if you don't call valet in advance); Avg food quality (limited selection and not fully stocked - you'll have to wait for/ask the attendants frequently to stock up items & silverware - so if you are in hurry to go some place, arrive early); access to gym pools & hot tub limited for young (<16); no harbor views (the hotel is on the inside street and encased by taller buildings)

Minor:
Hot water went out for 3 days (Hotel offered transfer to nearby Courtyard and also made arrangements for shower use at the hotel) - probably a one of that was beyond the hotels control.

Major Frustration:
Booked at Hilton on-line and pre-paid for the stay for a 1 bedroom suite. Hotel provided studio and also charged the current rack rate (much higher). Despite having confirmed the booking with the property before arriving, they gave us a different room.

Needless to stay there was a lot of distraction and angst at having to deal with Hilton customer service (who refused to refund the pre-pay) and property staff during and after the trip to finally resolve the billing and rate issue. Credit to the efficient Duty Manager for her prompt attention and stepping in but till she arrived, no other staff member paid any heed. It was a pain to have to do the go between the Hilton corporate staff and franchise Hotel (Hilton acted like they had nothing to do with the indep. business). Since another reviewer had similar frustration, there is an opportunity somewhere for Hilton to ensure pre-pays are communicated to the hotels and honored.

Tip:
Take free CCC (Charm City Connector) buses and water taxis. 45 minutes by car to National Mall in Washington DC

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place is great. Rooms are large and clean. The staff are really helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My organisation booked me a one-bedroom king suite at Homewood Inner Harbor for just under one month while I completed summer courses at Johns Hopkins University. Aside from a disappointing beginning (I was initially given a smoking room, but was able to switch the following day, when a non-smoking suite became available), I was generally pretty satisfied with the rooms and amenities.

The one-bed king suites are spacious and offer the advantage of self-contained kitchens, which is particularly welcome during a long stay - making it possible to cook up a storm with fresh delicious ingredients from Wholefoods (located on the adjacent block). Coin-operated laundry services were convenient, the free wifi was speedy and reliable, and the furnishings were relatively modern and generally in good shape. Complimentary access to the MAC Fitness Centre is also a drawcard.

As I took a couple of short trips to NYC and DC during my time there, I changed suites a couple of times and experienced different room layouts. The higher floors offer a more peaceful sleep, protecting against some of the noise form the bustling street below, while the corner suites benefit from sunlight streaming through windows on both sides. The latter also offer great city-skyline views with harbor glimpses. The 2x double suites are the most spacious - with very generously proportioned living spaces and bedrooms.

The hotel is centrally located within the tourist-heavy inner harbor precinct. There are some great restaurants (many boasting picturesque harbor views), however I found myself preferring to mix with locals dining in the neighbouring streets of Little Italy and Fells Point. Most of the city's major attractions are a pleasant and easy stroll from the hotel, but venturing further afar (e.g. to JHU's medical campus or Hampden Village and Mt Vermont) was really easy with the regular and free city shuttle (the 'Charm City Circulator') - located right out the front of the hotel.

There was little to be disappointed by, however some of the bathrooms were fitted with unusually noisy exhaust fans (which could not be switched off) and, I had the unfortunate experience of enduring a hot water outage for three consecutive days (during which guests had to shower at the nearby Marriott Hotel or MAC fitness centre). I must stress that this incident was really out of the ordinary, and the staff did everything within their power to resolve it as quickly as possible (going so far as to offer refunds and organise alternative accommodation for newly arrived guests). The international calling rates seemed unreasonably expensive (though, perhaps not disproportionate to any other comparable hotel's charges), while the room-service dining was pretty underwhelming and overpriced. Notwithstanding these criticisms, Homewood remains a good value option for extended trips in Baltimore.

Room Tip: Higher floors (10-12) are quieter than lower levels (3-5) which suffer a little more street noise. C...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business