“Would not recommend this hotel - disgusting!!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Furnishings and rug in the room were stained, old, and worn. First, I requested a non smoking room when I made the reservation. When I checked in all they had were smoking rooms. Second, when I went to bed there was something in the bed between the mattress pad the the sheet. To my disgust it was an old bloody condom. UGH!! I was ready to go home at that point. Will never go back there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank pd6050

Reviewed April 29, 2011

Must say first off that, Joaquin, the bell hop, was great each time we dealt with him, as were valet guys/gals.
Brought my 6 yr old for an overnight trip to visit Inner Harbor. My husband has stayed at the next-door Hilton Garden Inn and likes it, so I thought I'd try this hotel so that I could watch TV and read in living area while my daughter slept in bedroom. Arrival was fine, although front desk wasn't overly friendly. We got to our room, and I was a bit disappointed. The room was shabby with stains on furniture and carpet. The carpet did not look vaccumed in most places. There were what looked like chocolate or dirt crumbs on floor between beds, little plastic price tag pieces outside of and in bathroom, and other "things" that certainly would have been picked up by a vaccum. Got past that though because I was there with my daughter who was so excited;we just made sure we had our shoes on whenever we were walking in rooms.
The bathroom smelled strongly of mildew, and the lighting was so bad, that I had to shower with the curtain open in order to see anything. Both rooms were also very stuffy and smelled like air freshener had been sprayed. I don't like air freshener. I turned on the A/C and we left for dinner. When we arrived back later, the room was still just as stuffy/hot as when we left. Front desk sent up maintenance (who's name I forget, but he was pleasant as well). He was able to fix the A/C and the room cooled down quickly. So this problem was fixed quickly, but an annoyance nonetheless late at night with a young child.
The next morning, while I was dressing, my daughter and I were both startled by a banging on the windows in the living area. When I went out (half-dressed, mind you), imagine my horror as I was staring at a window-washer! It would have been nice if the front desk would have notified us at check-in that the windows were to be washed the next morning; I would NOT have been walking around half-naked, nor scared that something awful was happening.
We didn't make the breakfast, so I can't comment on that. Overall, not horrible, but a few mishaps, and our shabby room, make it difficult for me to recommend.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Leighanne D
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I met some business associates this past weekend (April 16-17) at this hotel. I have to admit I liked almost everything about it. The location is great, the fact they have a pub/restaurant attached is convenient, and I think the rates are comparable to the surrounding areas.

My issue with this hotel is the parking rates. It is about $50 to park from Friday-Sunday. I am supposed to stay at this hotel again this weekend (family trip this time), but I am just not sure about having to pay fees like that to park my car.

I will certainly provide more feedback as I learn more about this parking situation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mouthspe717
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This hotel experience was just plain ridiculous. To start, we arrived to find another family in front of us with the mom in tears because they couldn't honor their reservation - apparently they overbook the rooms at this place. So this family - with 6 kids - was sent over to the Marriott. My husband and I had 3 kids with us, so we were worried at this point. And rightly so. The desk clerk told us that she didn't have our room available either. But we could have a smaller room if we wanted it. Not wanting to trudge to the Marriott with 3 kids at 7pm, we took it. The front desk person told us that they don't guarantee rooms that are booked online. Nice. In 2011 this place can't guarantee your room if you book ONLINE??? Whatever.

Upon first glance, the room was ok. Till we noticed the musty, smoky smell and stained furniture. On top of not having the room we paid for available, they gave us a smoking room when we specifically reserved nonsmoking due to my very bad allergies and for the kids' health. My husband complained, but they said again that no other rooms were available. They sent a custodian up, who promptly started spraying air freshener all over the place - great for allergies, of course. At least he was extremely nice and apologetic - he left an "air purifier" that didn't do much.

The one thing I can say for this place is that the free breakfast is great - lots of selection and everything was hot and decent.

You would think that once we checked out, the crappy time was over. But no. I started getting weird random charges on the card I used to check in. Especially weird because they are from the Hilton Garden Hotel, which is connected to the suites - but where we did NOT stay. Neither the accountant nor the managers at the hotel(s) have any idea why these charges are on my account. So on top of everything else I now have to deal with fraudulent charges on my credit card and the (hopefully) temporary loss of $150 in my bank account.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - your room might not exist.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank goodyweaver
HGI_HW_Balt, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at the Homewood Suites Baltimore. I am sorry that your experience at our hotel was not amiable. We always do our best to fulfill all of our guest's requests including room preferences. Unfortunately due to some unforeseen circumstances we sometimes are not able to accomodate all request. I will reach out to you personally to obtain details regarding your reservation and hotel experience.

Kind Regards,

Charles Perrell

Reviewed February 28, 2011

My husband and I have went to this hotel once a year since it opened as our belated Valentines day getaway. We love it so much, I would never ever dream of even looking for another hotel in B-more! The hotel is spotless, the staff is wonderful, the rooms are spacious, beds are super comfy, location is great and the breakfast is yummy!!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
HGI_HW_Balt, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are so happy to read that you had such a wonderful experience at our hotel. We are even more so excited to hear that you are committed to our hotel, and have been since its opening. Our team truly does give their all to ensure the satisfaction of all of our guests, and it is very rewarding to obtain positive feedback. I will ensure I share this with our entire team. I would also like to invite you to join us on Facebook (Homewood Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor). We often post special deals and upcoming promotions on there.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2011

I had never heard of Homewood Suites... it is a part of the Hilton Chain. It was a nice surprise! We booked a King Studio and we were upgraded to a larger room w/views of the Inter Harbor. The room had a full kitchen w/dishwasher. A full hot breakfast was included in the rate and free entrance to the MAC aquatic club. Perfect winter getaway!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
HGI_HW_Balt, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am very happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant surprise. I have always felt that the Homewood Suites Brand is a great fit for traveling families. Thank you for sharing your kind words, I will definitely share them with the entire team. I would also like to invite you to come stay with us during the summer time. During that period Baltimore is very beautiful and vibrant and Harbor East and the Inner Harbor are full of events and activities for the whole family. See you next time you are in Baltimore.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

I have to be in Baltimore for two weeks of every month from January until May 2011 to receive treatment at Johns Hopkins Hospital. . Therefore I hoped to find somewhere affordable but with more than just one room. After some research and visiting other Suites type hotels I decided on The Homewood Suites and I am so happy I did. From the first time I approached the front desk everyone who works here has been friendly, helpful, and has done everything they can to make me feel welcome. The rate includes a buffet breakfast daily and dinner Monday through Thursday too! The meals are very good and the service is wonderful. They also provide free taxi vouchers that cover the cost to the hospital and back every day, which precludes my having to have a rental car or pay for a taxi.
The little suite is really ideal. Nice & light, and really has everything one needs for an extended stay. A nice little kitchenette with a full size refrigerator, a stove, microwave and even a small dishwasher! The bedroom and living room are completely seperated by a wall (although they also do have suites for a little less money where the rooms are not as completely seperated) so the days that my husband can join me here,one can watch TV and the other can sleep without a problem. The bathroom is perfectly adequate with a small dressing room area. I believe the hotel is fairly new because everything seems new and in good repair. Every day the suite gets cleaned well and promptly. The king size bed is a very comfortable with plenty of plump pillows and good linens. I have slept very well here, and there is no noise from other suites beside me.
There are guest laundy facilities with machines that are reasonable.

Half the building is the Homewood Suites and the other half is The Hilton Garden Inn which I believe are regular rooms. There is a bar and restaurant on the Garden Inn side which is shared. So it really is a nice set up. You can"t beat it for an extended stay. And overall the service I have received here is on par with 5 star hotels where I have previously stayed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JustJudie
HGI_HW_Balt, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We are very happy to read that your stay with us was so pleasant. Our goal is always to make our guests "feel at home" and it appears we succeeded with your stay. Thank you very much for your kind words we will share them with our team here. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Baltimore.