“Great Stay for a Hampton Inn Hotel”

Hampton Inn Baltimore-Downtown-Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed November 10, 2008

When i arrived at the hotel around 12pm I noticed my name at the Front Desk: I happened to be the "Guest of the Day"

I received a free movie rental for my one-night stay, some water, some cookies, chips & some little squishy balls (baseball, football, golf ball with the hotel logo and such)

The room on the six floor was excellent. Had a great view of Camden Yards and the room was very big with a kitchen right when you walked into the room.

I was thoroughly impressed with this Hampton, this is one of the better ones that I've stayed at in a long time.

All the staff in the hotel were great, and very warm and helpful.

I would stay here again if i am traveling through this area.

Info:

Inner Harbor (Seven Blocks) 15 min walk

Camden Yards (no blocks) 30 sec walk to Camden St Entrance

If taking the Light Rail (Get off at Convention Center Station and walk straight up 2 blocks to the hotel) It is behind the new Hilton Baltimore.

Airport is about 5 miles a way, train station is a 15 min train ride to the Convention Center station.

Nice big breakfast area with big screen television in the breakfast room (had seating for both indoors and outdoors)

1  Thank caneshockey31
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Baltimore-Downtown-Convention Center

Reviewed November 2, 2008

I spent five nights at this Hampton Inn while chaperoning students who competed at an event nearby. The hotel seems very nice. Rooms are clean and nicely furnished. Bed is very comfortable. The room has a flat screen TV and a small refrigerator (although my students tell me that their rooms have no frig - not sure why I have one). The hotel serves a breakfast every morning from 6 until 10. It's typical (one hot dish, sweet rolls, cold cereals, fruit) but still very generous and good. Coffee and tea are available all day in the lobby and cookies are available in the afternoons. The hotel has no other food service but there are several restaurants and delis nearby. The Inner Harbor is within walking distance. We took a taxi back from dinner in the harbor area one evening and the fare was only $6.00. So good location, good hotel. My room was on the 7th floor (the hotel has 8 floors) and was very quiet. On one side of the hotel there is a bar that has outdoor speakers and sidewalk tables. I'm sure that the music can be heard from rooms on that side of the hotel. Only complaint was that last night the desk clerk was totally clueless as to how to arrange for transportation to the airport this morning.

1  Thank pjcasey
Reviewed October 24, 2008

This hotel is over the road from the ballpark and within easy walking distance from the harbour front area.

The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great and the constant supply of hot coffee was a real bonus. Our room was large and very clean. There is free internet access if you need it. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Damaskfan
Reviewed October 18, 2008

This is a great hotel. The staff go over and beyond to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Some examples: if a staff person sees you coming towards an elevator they press the button so when you arrive at the elevator it is waiting on you. They always ask to give you directions and constantly wish you a good day or good evening. The valet are particularly helpful and always ask can they give you directions or help you get somewhere. The cleaning staff speak to you and welcome and say "Have a good day." They are real sticklers about keeping their hotel spotless; the housekeeper on the 8th floor where I stayed was even dusting the glass on the table by the elevator and the windows to the vending machine room and each time she saw me she asked was everything ok or could she get me anything. Every staff member I encountered from the women and men at the front desk, the lady who takes care of the breakfast each morning, the men and women of the valet staff, as well as the maintenance and all the housekeeping are all the nicest and most helpful people I have encountered at a hotel in a very very long time. They all went out of their way to make sure everyone had an excellent stay. Thank you all for a wonderful stay. If there is an award for this hotel chain this group should win. Excellent view of Camden Yards and in close proximity to many things downtown including the Inner Harbor.

Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed here one night over labor day as we were visiting the Balitmore Antique Show. After a lot of research on this website, we decided to stay at the Hampton Inn Camden Yards and what a pleasant surprise, especially since I look for things to be wrong. We got to Baltimore early (11:00am) and the hotel let us check right in. Our room was very spacious, clean, recently updated and comfortable. We didn't make a dinner reservation but Dorian, the friendliest and hardest working front desk man, was happy to make some suggestions and show us menus. We ended up going to Obrycki's for crabs. Having eaten crabs from the time I was 4, I wasn't very impressed, if I were you, try somewhere else.

When we returned from dinner Dorian was there to greet us with a smile and asked how dinner was. In the morning we took advantage of the free breakfast which was adequate with coffee, juice, muffins, bagels, eggs, yogurt, cereal and fruit. It wasn't the best breakfast ever (we're breakfast snobs), but if you have children and don't feel like spending more money, this is perfect. Check out was a breeze as Dorian was still there! When does this guy sleep? I read some reviews where the valet was slow but they brought our car around in under 5 minutes. From the hotel we went over to Fells Point for some shopping and afternoon bar hopping.

We are planning a return trip to Baltimore and will most definately stay at the Hampton Inn! We usually stay in 4 star hotels but we find absolutely no reason to spend the extra money when the Hampton Inn is such a nice hotel and such a great value for the money!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed at this hotel as part of our 10-day Baseball Road Trip. The location of this hotel is perfect if you are in town for a game – it’s a one minute walk to the stadium. Rooms were very nice and a so-so breakfast is included – adequate, but nothing special. When we made our reservation, the 2-queen-bed rooms were sold out, so we got a king w/ rollaway bed. The rollaway was a bit short for my son who is 12, but already 5’10”. Our room looked out on an alley way and brick buildings, but I think the other rooms look out toward the stadium. View and access to sunlight would be better there. One word of caution is that there are eateries and bars next to the hotel that party-on after a game (nothing seedy, but potentially noisy), so it could be loud on the stadium side. Ask the hotel or read other reviews on this.

The hotel has a small pool, and even though some folks said it had limited hours, we could swim from 9AM to 10PM. It’s a basement pool, so no view to the outside, but it was good for a quick dip once or twice a day.

I am sure this is not as swanky as other hotels that are $400+, but those were not in our budget and we hardly spent any time in the room. We very much enjoyed our stay here and would certainly come back. Book early!

One last word on finding the hotel. We came down Green St and attempted to turn left on Washington Blvd in front of the hotel. It seemed like Washington Blvd was a one way street, so we kept going and circled all over the place. Called hotel and they encouraged us to just bully our way on to Washington Blvd, even though there were lots of cars and trucks parked there on game day. They were right! We made the turn successfully. You may have to hop out and find the valet since it’s really crowded in front of the hotel. Also, request car well in advance to get it out of valet parking on a game day. Ours took about 20 mins, so just plan ahead.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We stayed here to attend a Saturday baseball game in late July. We arrived early afternoon, and check-in was a breeze. Our 2 queen room on the 5th floor was clean, spacious, and comfortable. T

he hotel is ~ 10 minute walk to the inner harbor, and it's right across the street from Camen Yards. Valet parking was convenient. However, if it's busy it can take 1/2 hour or so to retrieve your car, but they make you aware of this. It took less than 10 minutes to get our car on sunday morning.

On game days, the some streets around the ballpark are closed off and full of street vendors. Also there are several bars adjacent to the hotel that overflow onto the sidewalk on game days.

Overall, the location was great, hotel was clean, and the breakfast was standard Hampton Inn fare. My only complaint was the staff was not overly friendly of welcoming, but they were not rude either.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business