“Location, location, location, but book early for key weekends”

Hampton Inn Baltimore-Downtown-Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed at this hotel as part of our 10-day Baseball Road Trip. The location of this hotel is perfect if you are in town for a game – it’s a one minute walk to the stadium. Rooms were very nice and a so-so breakfast is included – adequate, but nothing special. When we made our reservation, the 2-queen-bed rooms were sold out, so we got a king w/ rollaway bed. The rollaway was a bit short for my son who is 12, but already 5’10”. Our room looked out on an alley way and brick buildings, but I think the other rooms look out toward the stadium. View and access to sunlight would be better there. One word of caution is that there are eateries and bars next to the hotel that party-on after a game (nothing seedy, but potentially noisy), so it could be loud on the stadium side. Ask the hotel or read other reviews on this.

The hotel has a small pool, and even though some folks said it had limited hours, we could swim from 9AM to 10PM. It’s a basement pool, so no view to the outside, but it was good for a quick dip once or twice a day.

I am sure this is not as swanky as other hotels that are $400+, but those were not in our budget and we hardly spent any time in the room. We very much enjoyed our stay here and would certainly come back. Book early!

One last word on finding the hotel. We came down Green St and attempted to turn left on Washington Blvd in front of the hotel. It seemed like Washington Blvd was a one way street, so we kept going and circled all over the place. Called hotel and they encouraged us to just bully our way on to Washington Blvd, even though there were lots of cars and trucks parked there on game day. They were right! We made the turn successfully. You may have to hop out and find the valet since it’s really crowded in front of the hotel. Also, request car well in advance to get it out of valet parking on a game day. Ours took about 20 mins, so just plan ahead.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 2, 2008

We stayed here to attend a Saturday baseball game in late July. We arrived early afternoon, and check-in was a breeze. Our 2 queen room on the 5th floor was clean, spacious, and comfortable. T

he hotel is ~ 10 minute walk to the inner harbor, and it's right across the street from Camen Yards. Valet parking was convenient. However, if it's busy it can take 1/2 hour or so to retrieve your car, but they make you aware of this. It took less than 10 minutes to get our car on sunday morning.

On game days, the some streets around the ballpark are closed off and full of street vendors. Also there are several bars adjacent to the hotel that overflow onto the sidewalk on game days.

Overall, the location was great, hotel was clean, and the breakfast was standard Hampton Inn fare. My only complaint was the staff was not overly friendly of welcoming, but they were not rude either.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Instead of driving down to Baltimore to attend a convention center event as we usually do every year, we decided to take a train. Seeing this hotel was close to everything I wanted to see (convention center - 2 blocks, Camden Yards across the street, inner harbor - 15 minute walk) I booked it for a 1 weekday night in July. I took the light train from Baltimore Penn Station to the convention center stop. From here it was only a 2 block walk to the hotel using West Camden St. Upon check in we were given a room on the 3rd floor overlooking Camden Yards. The room was extremely clean with a flat screen tv, comfortable beds, and a great shower. Downstairs they have a gym with a few elliptical machines,treadmills and a weight station. In the morning the hotel offers a continental breakfast which I thought was pretty good. They had your normal muffins, bagels, yogurts, fruit, juices, all which tasted very fresh. After check out, the hotel front desk held our bags for us until we came back later in the day. All in all it was a very nice clean hotel with good service. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We were staying at this Hampton for the same reason most everyone else does, a Baltimore Orioles game. When we arrived at 4pm (game time 7pm that night) we found the lobby mobbed with folks checking in. Waited about 15 minutes which wasn't so bad until the front desk person notified us that the 2 Bed Queen Suite (with micro/fridge) we booked was not available. When I asked why, I was told someone had "stayed over" which should not have happened when we had the room reserved and paid for that night. I asked for and spoke with the manager on duty and she tried to help by checking what was available. First she asked of we would accept two single rooms (at the price we paid for the suite) and Isaid that would be fine if they were connecting or even next to each other. She thought she found one and we said great, but then she found that one room was on 5th floor and the other on 3rd and that would not work for us. She went back to looking for a room and finally said, I;m sorry but it appears the ONLY non-smoking room we have is a one bed King room, no sofa bed. She asked if that would work and I said, not really since it was my wife, me and two boys. Now it is 530 and nearly time to get ready for the game so we could not really go find anything else, so I said we would take the room but for all our trouble, how about a reduced rate? She asked what would make me happy? I replied, I would have been hapy with the room we reserved and paid for and could accept the room at a reduced rate but was not "happy" about it and would not return again to this hotel. (We usually stay at Courtyard Marriotts or Residence Inns and have NEVER had a problem like this).
she still pressed on about what price would make me happy for the room and I said, Well, FREE would make me happy and she said OK you got it. Needless to say I was surprised as well as being "happy" with a free room. After all, they did waste about an hour and a half of our time anyway. The rest of the stay was great. Room was very comfortable (except for the boys sleeping on the floor). We will probably give them another try simply because the Manager went out of her way to "satisfy" the customer.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert_Greene
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Let me start by saying that I'm an "easy traveler"... not too picky...

My family (me, my wife, and two teen sons) were staying over a long weekend in Baltimore with the Orioles and the Inner Harbor as centerpieces. Overall, I stay was worth it and pleasant. However, we had mixed feelings about the hotel itself.

PRO: LOCATION - The location next to Camden Yards makes it perfect for a stay. If that is your goal, stay there. But also know that there are several other hotels there or being built.

PRO: CLEANLINESS - The hotel was very clean and well-maintained.

PRO: LAUNDRY - There was a free laundry next to the workout gym and pool. For a famiiy in the midst of an extended trip this might be a real plus.

CON: HOTEL ACCESS - When we first arrived, there was a game in progress. The street immediately in front of the hotel was blocked off with orange street cones. There was no obvious way to access the hotel. I circled the block three times before I finally ended up in an alley directly behind the hotel. Finally, I called the front desk with my cellphone. I told them what was going on. She instructed me to go back to the front where the cones were and she'd come out and meet me. I went there; she never did. Bottom line - with 81 home dates per year, I find it incomprehensible that this hotel hasn't done a better job of wayfinding for an arriving guest.

CON: POOL HOURS - This may sound petty but the posted pool hours are only 5p-10p nightly. There is no explanation for this. And if you desire to walk the Inner Harbor in the evening, a common desire, you basically can't access the pool. Again, for folks going to a 7:00pm baseball game that pretty much means you won't be swimming. The pool itself is relatively small, in the basement, and without windows to the inside. Bottom line - my kids felt gypped that they couldn't swim because our itinerary often had us away during the unusually limited hours.

CON: BREAKFAST SERVICE - The posted hours for a very nice complimentary breakfast served in the lobby was 6a-10a. I was traveling with two teen boys who like their sleep. When I arrived at 9:45am to get breakfast.... the cupboard was bare. Other guests told me that the woman in charge of this area had started breaking down the food service at 9:30am. No cereal, no fruit, no donuts.... just a few scraggly bagels.... Then, when we shared this information with the front desk the following day, we were told that we were mistaken and that breakfast had been avaible through 10am.... unbelievable.... we were there but couldn't trust our own eyes, I suppose. Bottom line - if you post breakfast hours, keep those hours fully available.

CON: ROOM SECURITY - Now this may seem really petty but it was important to me. I specifically placed a "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door one morning. I was willing to forgo room service because I was doing some work and had a lot of my stuff out. I wanted to run an errand without securing all of my stuff. (I know... I know... not wise). Nevertheless, I did it. Imagine my surprise when I returned to find the sign ignored and my room done up. Now, I appreciate the maid's desire to "do her job" but... I fail to understand why she would have ignored my wishes.

FINAL THOUGHT: Again, our vacation time was not "ruined" by any of the above and, ultimately, the location was terrific. I would advise others to shop around. There are other options; comparably priced.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Redd_Dogg
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We arrived at the Hampton Inn Baltimore at about midnight. We were refreshed to see that the doors were locked and that the bellman had to "buzz us in" (safety). The front desk was very friendly and professional. They even required an adult to give permission to allow food charges against the room (we had 2 teens with us).

The decorations in the lobby were baseball related (across from Orioles stadium) but very modern ... really nice.

The rooms were beautiful and comfortable. Flat screen TV's, comfortable bed and very nicely decorated. Each door had a unique photo next to it.

Will visit again

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Just want to start by saying I always stay at Hampton Inns when I travel. Ok The location was Great! We were in town for an Orioles ball game and to be able to walk across the street to Camden yards and after a 10 inning Orioles win, a 2 minute walk to the Hotel was Fabulous!! Parking is an issue being that downtown there is virtually None. The Valet staff was top notch! Terri and Drew took very good care of us. The room was Great! The breakfast was Great! Overall we had a Great experience. The only issue was the woman at the check-in desk when we arrived. We had just drove 9 hours to get there, trying to get to the front door with cars all over and no place to park. We had been around the block a few times trying to squeeze in to register and find out about parking left us a little on edge. Once inside I was relieved to be checking in and I was greeted, (or lack there of), by a very Rude woman that talked to me like I was dirt. Not helpful at all. One word answers. Attitude All over the place!! I walked outside to ask my girlfriend to try and see if she had better luck with the woman. When I walked out front, I find Terri and the valet staff explaining things to my girlfriend and helping us unload our bags. Falling all over us with kindness. The type of treatment I was used to by Hampton Inn staff. Never the less when my girlfriend went in to try and check us in, (just in case I was just aggravated from driving), she too was met too with the Very Rude woman and we did not expect this kind of treatment after being a return customer for years of the Hampton Inns. This is not how a guest wants to be treated after being on the road for 9 hours. I was very shocked and upset with the experience, but I will say that the Terri, Drew and the valet staff saved the day for us. The next morning we were greeted by a lovely woman at breakfast and a very helpful staff at the front desk. Valets again went out of there way to help us load our van and allowed us to leave our vehicle parked at the hotel, (Again no parking downtown), so that we could enjoy the Babe Ruth Museum a couple of blocks away. When we returned to the hotel we again were greeted with smiling faces and I believe he was a hospitality person or maybe even the head of Valet, gave us directions to the highway, very personable and friendly. Overall the Valet staff saved our day in Baltimore. I hope that none of the travelers that read this, nor anyone else has to come in contact with this woman. Thanks everyone else from Hampton Inns for the wonderful experience other than this initial woman.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family