and 1 more site!
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Ohio
“Mostly Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

Just want to start by saying I always stay at Hampton Inns when I travel. Ok The location was Great! We were in town for an Orioles ball game and to be able to walk across the street to Camden yards and after a 10 inning Orioles win, a 2 minute walk to the Hotel was Fabulous!! Parking is an issue being that downtown there is virtually None. The Valet staff was top notch! Terri and Drew took very good care of us. The room was Great! The breakfast was Great! Overall we had a Great experience. The only issue was the woman at the check-in desk when we arrived. We had just drove 9 hours to get there, trying to get to the front door with cars all over and no place to park. We had been around the block a few times trying to squeeze in to register and find out about parking left us a little on edge. Once inside I was relieved to be checking in and I was greeted, (or lack there of), by a very Rude woman that talked to me like I was dirt. Not helpful at all. One word answers. Attitude All over the place!! I walked outside to ask my girlfriend to try and see if she had better luck with the woman. When I walked out front, I find Terri and the valet staff explaining things to my girlfriend and helping us unload our bags. Falling all over us with kindness. The type of treatment I was used to by Hampton Inn staff. Never the less when my girlfriend went in to try and check us in, (just in case I was just aggravated from driving), she too was met too with the Very Rude woman and we did not expect this kind of treatment after being a return customer for years of the Hampton Inns. This is not how a guest wants to be treated after being on the road for 9 hours. I was very shocked and upset with the experience, but I will say that the Terri, Drew and the valet staff saved the day for us. The next morning we were greeted by a lovely woman at breakfast and a very helpful staff at the front desk. Valets again went out of there way to help us load our van and allowed us to leave our vehicle parked at the hotel, (Again no parking downtown), so that we could enjoy the Babe Ruth Museum a couple of blocks away. When we returned to the hotel we again were greeted with smiling faces and I believe he was a hospitality person or maybe even the head of Valet, gave us directions to the highway, very personable and friendly. Overall the Valet staff saved our day in Baltimore. I hope that none of the travelers that read this, nor anyone else has to come in contact with this woman. Thanks everyone else from Hampton Inns for the wonderful experience other than this initial woman.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — check in person at the front desk
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jbeasley53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
San Tan Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

This is the place to stay if your main purpose for your visit is Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Directly across the street is the ballpark and its a beauty. The staff at the hotel are very very nice and Jim the hotel manager is always around to make sure our stay is acceptable. The room is clean and bright and very adequate. The breakfast was wonderful. We would definitely stay here again. It is a 10 min. walk to the harbor which was easy. From BWI we took the Light Rail for 1.60 to the Convention Center stop and walked 2 short blocks to the hotel and we took the Light Rail back to the airport for another 1.60. What a cheap way to get to and from the airport. We walked everywhere and felt quite safe though I will say we were not far from the hotel late at night. After the ballgame we went to the sports bars directly across from the park and next to our hotel. It was a great trip-short but sweet. The Hampton Inn was a great find for us.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank MTG1116
Mountain Top, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

My wife and I and our two sons (ages 12 and 8) frequently visit Baltimore for a baseball game and usually book a long weekend. We normally stay at one of the Marriotts but decided to stay at the Hampton this time (over Memorial Day weekend) because of the great reviews. Boy, am I glad we did! Even with the Yankees in town, I saved about 100 a night by staying at the Hampton. We booked a double queen studio suite and it was huge. There was a wet bar in the room with a refrigerator, about a 32" or 40" flat screen LCD, two extremely comfortable pillowtop queens and a comfortable sofa bed, and the toilet and shower was separate from the sink (which is very convenient, guys). On arrival, we pulled in front of the hotel and the valet unloaded our bags and took our car. The hotel is right next to some of the Orioles fans hometown bars such as Pickels and they even block off the triangle in front of the bars during game days and food, beverage (alcohol and non), and souvenir vendors set up. The hot sausage and grill smell is incredible. The walk to Camden Yards was right across the street, very convenient, and the walk to Inner Harbor shops and restaurants was about 15 minutes. We even walked back to the hotel from the Inner Harbor at 11:00 on Sunday night and the area was safe. I can't comment on the breakfast because we did not eat at the hotel but it looked busy and smelled good. A few small extras that the hotel affords its guests that puts it over the top as compared to other area hotels is that it held our luggage after checkout at no cost and allowed us to keep our car there for only a $15 extra charge after checkout as we went to the baseball game. Most of the other hotels (or the Marriotts we usually stayed at) charge $35 or higher on game days. Valet parking was $26 per night and that is average or even cheaper than other hotels in Baltimore.

Finally, the only thing from me giving this 5 starts was the valet service when we were leaving. I have to believe there was an internal issue on this day because I have not seen the same complaints on other reviews. But when we left the game and wanted to retrieve our car, all of the others who were staying at the hotel were doing the same and we waited over an hour for our car. Normally we would just sit in the lobby and wait but we just sat in the heat for 2 hours and were eager to get home.

That, in no way, took away from the cleanliness, hospitality, and comfort the hotel provided us that weekend. As another reviewer wrote, we also had a view of the electric station but, frankly, who cares. You can pay for a view of Camden Yards.

• Liked — Location, Room Size, cleanliness, convenience.
  • Disliked — Nothing, just a bad day with the valet.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank skydyver89
Washington Dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel last weekend and had a fabulous experience. We were attending an event at the Geppi Museum and booked the hotel rather than driving back to DC that night. It was well worth the excursion. The room was large and very comfortable. We had plenty of room to both get ready for the formal affair and relax after. The staff were courteous. The pool, while smallish, was clean, refreshing, and uncrowded- the first night we had the area to ourselves with just the lifeguard (very polite and helpful). Breakfast was more than substantial, as always with Hampton, and they had many options. The decor is very modern and new, not at all what we had expected and a very pleasant surprise. While we did not have much of a view at all, the room still had plenty of natural light, easily blocked out with the black-out drapes. The hotel is also very convenient to Pickles and other traditional sports bars in downtown. Every part of our stay was wonderful and we will certainly go back for a casual retreat.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank DCTraveler18_8
Sterling, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

We chose this hotel for 3 reasons: 1) We're Hilton Honors members and were looking to stay in a Hilton property; 2) We liked the location--an easy walk from the MARC train station and 3) The reviews on this site have been very positive.

When making our reservation, we noticed that a room with one king-sized bed cost the same as a room with a king-sized bed and a sofa bed. Given that, we chose the latter. We were given a corner room on the 4th floor. The view wasn't the greatest on one side--across the street was an electrical substation. However, the view from the other window was nice--next to the hotel is an old brick building that had a great mural of the Inner Harbor on the wall.

The bed was comfortable--no complaints there. The bathroom had a granite countertop. The only problem was that the sink was too high. I'm short and my husband is average height and we both agreed the sink could have been lower. The hotel provides some toiletries--shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash and lotion. Also provided are shower caps, a makeup remover cloth and a shoeshine cloth.

We were pleasantly surprised to find a refrigerator in the room. This especially nice to have in hot weather for storing cold drinks.

The free breakfast was decent. In addition to pastries, cereal, milk, yogurt, juices, fruit and coffee, there are some hot items. Both days there were eggs. In addition, one day there was biscuits and gravy and another day there were sausage patties. At night, there are free cookies at the check-in desk. Also, by the desk, there is an area where you can purchase cold drinks, ice cream and snacks. Each floor had a soda vending machine and an ice machine.

Housekeeping was excellent. All the staff was friendly and helpful. Thinking back on the experience, I have to say that the hotel offered many amenities that made the stay very pleasant. We would certainly stay here again next time we're in town!

• Liked — refrigerator in room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SueFee
Chittenango, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

This hotel is very nice overall. Its located just across the street from Camden Yards, I mean you cannot really get any closer. Its also a 15 minute walk to the Inner Harbor. The walk to the harbor is easy, the walk home is not so easy (its a little uphill). But its a $4.00 cab ride either direction. Valet parking at $26 is a little steep, but you do have in-and-out service, so you can get your car at anytime.

The rooms are immaculate. The bathrooms are great, and the bed is so comfortable.

Breakfast is on-par with other hamptons. The warm cookies in the evenings are superb.

The only complaint I would have is that Greene Street is really busy, and if you have a room that faces Greene, you'll hear trucks as early as 5am. Also, the curtains don't close all the way, so you can never get your room completely black. Bottom line, avoid a room that faces Greene Street if possible!

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank bkafrick
Capital District, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

My wife and 10 year old son stayed here for one weeknight in April. Valet parking was very attentive, check in was a breeze. The lobby is extremely clean and pleasant. Our room had a great view of the Camden Yards. In fact, we could see 3rd base peeking between the stands. What a thrill to see a game, then walk one minute across the street to our room. The room was spacious and bed very comfortable. Only drawback is the pool. There are limited hours (5pm to 10pm) and it's located in the basement. Not a big deal, but thought I'd share if you or your kids want to swim in the morning. It's a good 10 minute walk to the inter harbor, but on two beautiful days like we had, no big deal. The Continential Plus breakfast was plentiful - fruit, yogurt, muffins, danish, premade eggs, juice, etc. Lots of families in the lobby and everyone very courteous. The staff gave my son a souvenir foam baseball. The hotel staff also gave us late checkout (until 2pm) which was plenty of time to go the aquarium in the morning. We can't say enough about the Hampton.

• Liked — Cleaniness and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Pool hours
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family