“A nice place to stay and a heck of a value so I would stay here again.”

Quality Inn Near Pimlico Racetrack
Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
“A nice place to stay and a heck of a value so I would stay here again.”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

First the neighborhood. Not the worst nor is it the best that I have ever stayed in. I am a Caucasian male and I did not have any problems or feel any problems were to occur checking it at midnight. This is Baltimore folks. This is a multicultural ethnic neighborhood. Don't let it bother you and it shouldn't bother you. The check in was quick and cordial. It has a 2 story inside corridor layout which is quite convenient. The rooms were nicely remodeled. The mattress looked new. Some of the natural wood furniture could have used a refinishing. My room was spotlessly clean including the carpet. It included a desk, a sofa and an upholstered chair. The air works well and the room was quiet. Definitely one of the better of the brand that I have stayed at. When I need to stay in this area again I will stay here again. I do not feel that the neighborhood is a deal breaker. This is Baltimore folks.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank gkinaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was traveling for Baltimore Comic Con last weekend and I found this surprisingly nice despite the reviews. Please don't let the other reviews lead you away this is a nice mom and pop Econolodge that is within walking distance from the Baltimore Subway station at a very nice price. The breakfast was very nice with bagels, coffee, and cinnamon pinwheels as well although the only extremely minor downside was the orange juice from the dispenser was noticeably watered down from the taste but at the price that isn't a major issue. The TV was a standard tube TV with some movie channels but this never really phases me because I am always using my tablet. Barring these miniscule issues this is one of the best Econolodge properties I have stayed at. I don't know what hotel the others who have left reviews here have stayed at but I would definitely stay here again.
Very friendly staff nice clean room keep up the good work. This is definitely a nicer alternative than the Rodeway Inn in midtown if you don't mind a little 20 minute subway ride downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank buzz86us
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed for two nights while apartment hunting with my boyfriend; we were relocating from Chicago. The hotel itself is just fine and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Even the people in the neighborhood were quite nice. However, it was rather obvious that two young, professional, gay, white males DO NOT belong in this location. We used public transport to get everywhere; I now know what it's like to have EVERYONE stare at you while you walk down the street. I didn't see any white people the whole time. I normally feel pretty comfortable being the minority, but definitely not the only. I witnessed a drug deal from my room. I got about 8 hang up calls. Left first thing in the morning. Do not stay here.

• Stayed August 2012

Travelers are raving about these Baltimore hotels

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

First off, I'm not a picky traveler and I realize that when you buy with a Kayak or Priceline that you're going to get what you pay for. HOWEVER...the pictures on travel websites do NOT accurately portray this horrible, run down, dangerously located property. We were supposed to stay at the Red Carpet Inn, paying for a non-smoking pet friendly room, only to find out they don't allow pets and the rooms aren't non-smoking. My hubby checked the room out while I waited in the parking lot with the doors locked (with people screaming and fighting with each other) and said we couldn't stay there. The door didn't close all the way and it stunk to high heaven of cigarette smoke.

So, the guy at the front desk, who was very snarly, didn't speak English, didn't understand anything I was asking, shuffled us off to the Econo Lodge property behind the Red Carpet Inn. Apparently, it's the same company. They're non-smoking and pet friendly. We asked to have a new receipt to state the change and he wouldn't do it and said to come back. We checked into the Econo Lodge with no paperwork and the guy just handing us a key. I asked for a receipt and he said I'd have to get it from the Red Carpet. We'd deal in the morning.

The room there was okay. Didn't smell and I could at least sleep there without keeping one eye open. It was pet friendly, so our two cats were good. Until.....one of them started playing with something...a packet...looked like a bag of M&Ms. NO...it was a pack of rat/rodent repellent. The package was compromised and I didn't know if my fur baby had done it or if a resident rat had done it. So, off we go to the Pet ER thirty minutes away. Two hundred dollars later, we had to have our baby's stomach pumped to make sure he got no rat poison. He's fine -- thank GOD! -- and the next morning when we checked out, we tried to complain to the manager. Not one to be found. We got a hand written receipt from the Red Carpet Inn saying we'd stayed there, but that was it. When I tried to explain what had happened and I was forming a complaint, the guy acted like he didn't understand me at all. Pretending not to speak English.

This was such a frustrating experience! I'm still waiting to hear from Red Carpet/Econo Lodge about reimbursement for my pet's vet bill since their "pet friendly" hotel had RAT POISON in the room.

DO NOT stay here. Not alone. Not as a family. Not as a couple. Not as a business person. Never. Don't do it. Pay more money and stay somewhere else...or just keep driving. This was a horrible experience and someone WILL be reimbursing us for what happened.

Horrible customer service, questionable clientele, nasty section of town. Avoid at all costs. I'm not exaggerating.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank marley_h_gibson
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I fall pray to this one for the low price n hasty booking. This is the worst place to stay. unsafe neighborhood, unclean room n rest rooms. All that is still manageable. But this place is a nightmare, u have completely naked, drunk girls running amuck in the corridore, people shouting and banking their doors, pimps, drug peddlers trying to make a business. thank god i was not shot or robbed, but I could have been so sure. I could sleep with the noise and the un-safe feeling. The beds were dirty (may be bed-bugs), had stains, hairs and holes from cigarette... It was a nightmare n will never again be here or recommend anyone to be there.

Room Tip: Just dont stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dan B
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Located just outside of the Park Heights neighborhood, this Econo Lodge is not the ideal vacation spot. Driving down from Boston, we decided to crash here on our way back from DC (trying to cut time off the drive). There is considerable poverty in this area, but the people around town were not a problem. I'm more likely to have my car broken into at home than here. We found the staff to be helpful and kind after an initial mixup with our online booking.

The room was HUGE, with a large king-size bed, an entire couch and a lot of floor space. A mini-fridge, microwave, and TV are also available. I could easily fit my entire life in this room. My boyfriend found the bed uncomfortable, but I thought it was great (I was also dead exhausted). Even in the non-smoking room, however, the scent of old cigarettes did linger throughout the hotel. If you are especially sensitive to this, you may want to book elsewhere. Embarking early on a 8 hour drive, I appreciated the complimentary breakfast (coffee, juice, and carbohydrates) which was simple but gratifying.

All in all, I won't seek out this area again, but considering the service and the size/cleanliness of the room, I would say this was a pretty good value.

Room Tip: Non-smoking king is the way to go.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2010

This place smells... literally.
The cigarette smoke can be smelt from the moment you walk in at the counter, breakfast room, hallways and even a stale smell in the (non-smoking room). The building is old, half hour drive from central Baltimore in a not so great area of town.
Breakfast was OK, but happy to leave. Interestingly, one of the more expensive places I stayed in yet not as good as some of the cheaper motels. The staff were friendly though.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baltimore
Americas Best Value Inn
Howard Johnson Pikesville
#2 of 4 in Pikesville
Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys
#27 of 66 in Baltimore

Been to Quality Inn Near Pimlico Racetrack? Share your experiences!