“Great bar, average service”
Review of Sammy's Trattoria

Sammy's Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Sammy's Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #299 of 2,203 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mount Vernon
Cross street: Biddle St.
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

I currently visited Sammy ' s with my girlfriend. I've been walking by the restaurant for the past 2 months so we decided to get dinner. We decided to eat at the bar. The bartender Nick made great drinks and the price was reasonable. The only complaint I have is the hour and a half wait for two pasta dishes. I'm a very patient person and work in hospitality but it's hard to occupy yourself with drinks for an hour and a half when you are hungry. Either way, we ended up getting dessert to go, the tiramisu. It was delicious and the bartender was nice enough to not add it to the bill. Thank you again Nick for your hospitality, I will be mentioning your restaurant to others now and will be returning for drinks as well! Great little restaurant/bar in the heart of Mount Vernon.

1  Thank psupatrick

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We just love this place. I am continually impressed with the consistently yummy food, good service, and friendly atmosphere. Sammy's is able to capture traditional Italian cuisine in a way that is always fresh and bursting with flavor.

Sammy's is great for a date or larger groups. Most of my favorite restaurants loose me with poor service when I dine with a large groups, but not Sammy's! Between my boyfriend, friends, family, and I, we tried most items on the menu and everyone is always very pleased with the food and wants to come back.

Some of our favorites include the carpaccio (so thin and tasty, served with arugula), Rissoto Renee (this comes with lovely large scallops, but if you aren't into seafood, a side of the mushroom risotto is yummy and an good value), gnocchi with vodka sauce (my Italian boyfriend says this is the best he's had), the bolognaise (meaty with veggies), Veal Involtini (oh so tender), Veal Milanese all Bauxbaum (fresh arugula salad atop), the list goes on...

Did I mention that I'm gluten free and can still enjoy traditional Italian cuisine at Sammy's? Their gluten-free pasta doesn't make me miss the real deal.

I recommend reservations for weekend nights as this is a popular spot. While, a great place for groups, we often sit at the bar for dinner on a busy Saturday. The bartender, Nick, is friendly and takes great care of us. The food is excellent, the wine selection good, and the drinks from the bar always tasty.

Honestly, I can't say enough good things about Sammy's.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I had been here a few years ago and it was ok then but this time I had a really great meal. The wine was really nice and my sally salad with salmon was superb. A great place to catch up with friends.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We're relatively new to Baltimore, and have been searching for the better Italian restaurants here.
Sammy's ranks really high on many fronts. First, Nick at the excellent bar makes great cocktails.
Then consider the wonderful appetizers and salads, especially the Sally [sp] salad. Main dishes we've had over time that were great include various fish dishes, Chicken Francaise and Parm, and an excellent veal dish. When Sammy's isn't very busy, service is excellent. On a few occasions [as when Myerhoff is having an event] the full restaurant causes the service to slip a tad, but overall, we have always been well taken care of. The bread is super, as are the pastas. Pricing is moderate; portions very adequate. To sum up, try it...you'll like it...if you are looking for a fine Italian meal.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is my favorite Italian restaurants in Baltimore, and I don't know that I have had better Italian anywhere. The service is usually very good in the evenings, iffier at lunch. Very friendly staff. The reservation system is flakey. It is safest to call, and when you do, there is a good chance you will get a useless voicemail that typically says the voicemail is full. Keep calling until you get a person. It does not use open table, but from its website you can request a reservation. That may work, and it may not.