“Really liked dessert!”
Review of Sammy's Trattoria

Sammy's Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Sammy's Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #297 of 2,202 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mount Vernon
Cross street: Biddle St.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Since my son is attending the Univ of Baltimore, we were in the area and were hungry one Sunday afternoon. We decided to try Sammie's (a block away) around 5:00pm in the afternoon. We were worried that it would be crowded and we would have to wait, but as luck has it, we were immediately seated. The waiter was really good. He was fast and covered most all of the tables! We enjoyed the bread and olive oil and my son ordered a caesar salad that was big enough for 3 of us! I had the chicken francese and my son had chicken parm and my husband had lasagna. All of the meals were very fresh and really good. They were pretty good size portions too. The ambience of the restaurant was really pleasant. It was low-key and I didn't feel under-dressed in my jeans and sweatshirt (okay - nice sweatshirt!) We decided to order dessert and had cannoli and amaretto cheesecake. The amaretto cheesecake was REALLY GOOD. The waiter told us that it was his favorite. We could see ourselves going back just for the cheesecake! Overall, we really liked this restaurant and would recommend it if you were going to be in the area to go to the Meyerhoff or the Lyric. There is a garage on Maryland Ave that is just a block away.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I visited Sammy’s this past weekend for dinner before a concert. We had dined there twice before and found the food tasty and the service OK. Well, things have switched at Sammy’s. Our server was excellent; the food however was another story. My husband ordered one the specials which was a crab topped fillet. While the fillet was excellent, the crab on top tasted very old. Had we not been in a time crunch, it should have been sent back. I ordered the veal Masala. The quality of the veal was excellent and tender. The sauce however tasted so sweet it should have been on the dessert menu. For dessert we had the Lemoncello cheesecake. I love Lemoncello but the sauce has so much lemon peel in it was almost inedible. Lastly, I was seated in view of the open kitchen. Each time a plate was finished, whichever cook had been working on it, stuck their fingers in a communal bowl of cheese for topping. Ew, get a spoon! Based upon the cost, I don’t think I will be back. When you are paying over $50/pp with drinks, you expect more than Olive Garden.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our waitress seemed liked she had every intention of moving us along quickly so we could make a show at the Meyerhoff...but we still had to rush at the end. The food was very good. I had a pasta dish with a ton of great veggies that came together really well and I really enjoyed it...for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it was so greasy. My husband did not like his Chicken piccata...it was more creamy then lemony (not his preference) and the olives (while I was happy to steal a few) seemed odd with the dish. I was surprised that is was just chicken and not served with a small side of pasta. We were really crammed in our table, which was wobbly but I enjoyed sitting on the balcony with a birds eye view to the bustling restaurant.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I dined at Sammy's on Valentine's Day 2013. We had reservations for 5:30, because we had other plans for later in the evening. I do understand that it was Valentine's Day, however we got seated promptly. We had one waitress take our order then pass us off to another waitress stating she needed to collect her tips from the tables upstairs from the lunch crowd. The second waitress asked us multiple times what we ordered, because she couldn't make out what was written and the original waitress was unavailable. One would have thought the original waitress would have put in our order. We sat there and watched the other patrons get served bread. The busboy ended up bringing us our bread after he located some plates. Our food was delivered, however our waitress NEVER came back to check on us, although she waited on tables all around us. I asked her for some hot sauce, but she was unaware if they had any. Thankfully another very attentive waitress overheard the conversation and proceeded to get us some. We ended up inquiring to the waitress, who got our hot sauce as to what was on the dessert menu. After witnessing our waitress pick bread up from a plate w/ her bare hand we decided dessert wasn't for us. We finally got our waitress to bring us the check, but she was too busy, so the very attentive busboy took our bill to the bar and processed it. We tipped the busboy and left an undeserving tip to our waitress and vowed to come back for drinks and sit at the bar only. Food is good, but poor customer service will beat out good food any day. I hope this is helpful to anyone that is not a regular at this restaurant.

1  Thank Edward L
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Last night my wife and I and another couple, all from outside the Wash D.C. area, drove up to Baltimore to Sammy's Trattoria for dinner. We had been there about a month ago when we attended a performance at the Meyerhoff just two blocks away. I had "found" Sammy's simply by Googling restaurants near the Meyerhoff and liked the menu and the reviews. I was not in a good mood by the time we arrived, as we were late due to a driving snow squall most of the way and awful traffic. We enjoyed our dinner however, so my mood changed before leaving for the show, and therefore enjoyed the show (Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky) very much also (another story).

The last time up there we parked at one of the parking lots adjacent to the Meyerhoff and walked to Sammy's, but this time I wanted to see if we could get an on street parking space, as I observed the last time that there was such parking where Sammys was located, and it was cold and very windy so we didnt want to walk far. As luck had it, we got the first space on W. Biddle on the side of Sammys and right by the froont door. We were early so it wasn't crowded yet and we sat at as window table just in front ot the open kitchen. Sammy's isn't large and probably holds about fifty or so. Upon entering the bar is on the right and tables are on the left and straight ahead with the open kitchen along the end wall, all one room. There is also a small upstairs balcony with a few tables that looks over the main dinning room below. It is all casual, as most restaurants are these days.

We were seated at the last table by the window and in front of the open kitchen. My wife quickly realized that there was cold air blowing out of the floor venton her we switched seats and asked that two menues be placed on the vent to block the cold air, which semed to work.
reasonably well.

It seemed as if it was going to take our ladies forever to make decisions on what to order as they went on and on about each dish as to what was good and asking the background of the waitresses personal life etc. unfortunately this is the norm when we go out to eat whether alone or with others. Finally I said, lets make decisions so we can order and eat. The waitress was being very nice and patient but the place was also starting to fill up. the chef must have heard our discussion and offered to let him decide what to make for us under their option of a four course dinner for a fixed proice of $30 w /o seafood, as we had been discussing. There is another option for the fixed price menue of $40 w/ seafood. The menue overall offers a lot of good options and a good selection of wines. My wife and I ordered a glass of Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, a red Tuscan wine which is a decent inexpensive table wine at $8 / glass, or $27 / bottle. If our friends didn't have diet restrictions we would have ordered a bottle.

First there was hot fresh bread, and a dish of olive oil mixed with garlic chese, peper and other stuff all of which was delicious althouth it had a little kick to it, maybe a little hot peper. this was followed by a large bowl of salad with lettuce, some tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, and mixed with a type of grated cheese that was delicious. Although I don't like onions or the pepers, I simply left them and ate the rest, which was delicious. Next came a dish of chicken breasts in a light cream, cheese and spinach sauce that was very light, with a distinctively different taste, and delicious. This was followed by a yorki dish stuffed with ricotta cheese and lightly cocered in a grated cheese that was also very light, also with a very distinctive and delicious taste. If that wasn't enough, next came a dish that I had ordered seperately before I realized that we were doing the fixed price special and forgot to cancel it. This dish was baby veal stuffed with prosciutto, spinach and some kind of cheese with sliced mushrooms and cooked in a marsala sauce, which was also delicious. We were so full that We had to take half of the veal dish home to enjoy hopefully tonight. Then came desert with home made cannolis and tiramisu, which the ladies sacraficed and ate and said was out of this world. I didn't want to fall asleep while driving home, so I passed and will enjoy that also tonight. Sammy seems to use top quality food and ingredients, which contributes to the fine flavors, as well as his own cooking expertise.

During the dinner, my wife kept talking to the waitress and then the chef (since he was right behind us) to find out more about them and the food. She always does this, which i would rarely do, but it usually results in finding out a lot about both and makes for a more enjoyable dinner experience. Come to find out the waitress was the chef's wife and has a new eight month old daughter, so my wife related to that and mentioned our nine month old grand daughter, Antonia along with our four year old granddaughter, Gianna. The chef was Sammy, the owner and Italian by birth, and he said that he learned to cook from his grandmother. He was very personable, although very busy as now the place was getting pretty full. As we were leaving i told him that the meal was excellent and his grandmother would be proud of him. He seemed to be genualy pleased with that comment and was wery thankfull for it. Earlier my wife mentioned that her parents were from Italy also and that we were originally from the Boston area. Sammy mentioned that Bill Belichick, the coach of the N.E. Patriots, liked to dine at Sammy's when he was in town and was a really nice guy. A nice piece of trivia which clearly shows that he is a man of good taste also.

All in all our dining "experience" was excellent and fun. Our friends were so impressed that they want to return, which we will. I must give credit to my wife for much of our "experience" however, as I mentioned she always has to find out everyone's life history and how each dish is made, which I would rarely do, but that is how we find out so much during our dinning "expereinces" and which makes each one much more than just "going out to dinner".

Although I have checked off the $$$ price rating for our dinner, that was only because of our selections. there are many other lower priced options on the menue to chose from and I expect, still enjoy.

Kudos to Sammy and his wife!