“dont go in the basement”
Review of Midtown Inn

Midtown Inn
Ranked #55 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is not nice at all; it is historical and in the middle of town. The neighborhood is nice, easy and safe to walk around. The front desk attendant was not nice or helpful. He was irritated that I arrived because I interrupted his newspaper reading time. My room 107 was a dump, stains on the carpet and chair. The walls are torn apart; the glass in the picture above the bed is broken. The smoke detector is not on the wall and did not have a battery. The toilet paper dispenser was not on the wall and paper was stuck in the hole in the wall were the paper holder was at one time. It is nothing like the add states, it was discounted as a midweek special but it is discounted because it should be closed and renovated. The area is great; they do have a parking lot down the road. I wish they would redo this hotel it could be a great place. I took several pictures because I was amazed a room could be rented in such bad shape. The man at the front desk told me that I had the last room but could offer no refund. I went to Walmart to buy sheets and a pillow. The television is very old and had three or four static channels to choose from. If you are looking for a hotel and see the special and think that it is a good idea to save a little money save yourself the hassle and pay the extra money.

Room Tip: dont let them put you in the basement. After reading the other reviews the main part of the hotel ma...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Robbie C
rodewayinnmd, Front Office Manager at Midtown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

We are exremely sorry that your stay with us was not up to your to your expectations. We are currently working to resolve all the issues that you stated. We hope to be completed soon and your next stay with us will be more pleasurable. Thank you

There are newer reviews for Midtown Inn

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I had a reservation here and needed to cancel it the front desk clerk was extremely ugly to me over the phone and told me I had to call the choice central line to cancel my reservation because it was made that way and if I didnt that they would charge me. First this is a bold face lie I work at choice hotels and it does not matter where you make the reservation out unless it is a prepaid reservation you can cancel it through the hotel. Also, Choice does not charge any guest what so ever!!! For anything!!!! The hotel charges you when you are a no-show which is fine that is what they are supposed to do. For this clerk to lie and to be rude to me was unacceptable and if I could do more than just write this review I would. I have already called choice and made a formal complaint!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Robin B
rodewayinnmd, Front Office Manager at Midtown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Called gst at 9:00 pm on date of arrival to see if gst was still coming because reservation was still in the system. Gst called back on my personal cell phone (not hotel phone) to inform me she had cancelled the reservation a month prior. Informed gst that reservation was still in the system and perhaps she should call Choice Central to cancel reservation to avoid no show charges per cancellation policy. Gst was never lied to, but became angry over phone. The situation was handled properly on this end.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

on behalf of me and my friend we enjoyed our stay at the Rodeway Inn. the room was nice and clean and it was a pretty view to see outside downtown baltimore. the service was very professional anything as guest we wanted all wee had to do was call and it was given in a very professional way. we look forward to spending another weekend at the Rodeway Inn. Again thanks alot for your hospitallty.

sincerely your Mr Levar Mcdowell-Goins and Mr, Timothy Goins

Room Tip: Think about the size of the room and beautiful view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
rodewayinnmd, Front Office Manager at Midtown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

On behalf of the management and staff, we thank you for your very kind comments. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have stayed on multiple occasions at this hotel. It always is a great deal. The location is in the heart of a thriving multi-cultural neighborhood with wonderful restaurants. The staff is courteous and helpful and your are right across the street from a free-circulator bus stop, allowing easy access to Downtown Baltimore.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

On behalf of the Management and staff, we thank you for your kind comments, and we look forward to serving you again

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Old hotel near a gourmet restaurant row and cat corner to Red Emmas. Staff was very professional. Access to purple line free transportation at Red Emmas. Reasonably priced. The neighborhood is a little live at night for children.. The hotel boundaries and perimiter are well kept.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
rodewayinnmd, Front Office Manager at Midtown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you very much for the nice comments. We sincerely appreciate them. The mention of the Gourmet Restaurants close by was a nice touch. We hope that you choose us again during your next visit to Baltimore.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is one of the worst hotels I have been. I could write a big explanation of how I disliked staying in this hotel, but instead I will just list the bad points. I do NOT recommend this hotel and I would never stay there again. For me, it is impossible to write a good review about this place. Probably the good reviews are old.
The only good aspect about the this hotel is the location.
The hotel is very old and smells moldy.
The stairs were almost falling down
Room was not clean
Towels very rough
The attendant was cranky
No parking (my girlfriend waited in the car while I took our luggage, so I found out we were in the 4th floor and the hotel has no elevator)
Bad breakfast
The heater cannot be controlled from the room and ghsts from 1st floor were complaining that the heater was broken
The room was very small

Room Tip: Never go there!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eduardo G
rodewayinnmd, Front Office Manager at Midtown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Our property is located within the Historic Mt Vernon section of Baltimore. The building itself was constructed sometime around 1890. We may not offer the flash, glitter and shine of a newly constructed Hi-Rise hotel. But many of our guest are quite happy and pleased with our accomdations. They especially give positive comments on the historic age and eclectic ambience we offer. Our staff are professiinally trained to meet the needs and wants of our guests. We are located within walking distance of all the attractions of Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Our rates are the most family friendly you can find in Baltimore

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We picked this hotel because we were looking for a somewhat inexpensive hotel in this neighborhood, and Rodeway Inn had quite decent reviews. I'm not sure where other reviewers stayed, because it was filthy and horribly staffed.

Location is fantastic. Keith was very grumpy when checking us in, which I was at first mostly amused by. I also found it somewhat odd that there was a sign above the front desk saying that the hotel offers no refunds under any circumstances.

I've worked in hospitality for a long time, and used to be a housekeeper - so by habit, I check hotel rooms I stay in for cleanliness, bugs, etc. Upon checking into this hotel - I think we were in room 103 - we found an unopened condom between the mattress and the boxspring, and a USED condom between the mattress and the headboard. We peeled it off the wood - yes, it was stuck to the headboard with fluids - and brought it to Keith at the front desk. He did not offer any sort of discount, explanation, or even a verbal apology. He made it very clear how we were inconveniencing him and moved us to another room, telling me he wasn't going to move us again and that, thanks to me, he was going to have to clean the first room himself.

Our second room - 101 - was no better. There were blood stains on every single piece of bedding in the room, as well as crusty white stains that I don't want to dwell too long on on the fitted sheet near the foot of the bed. Some of the bloodstains were a rusty color, as if the sheet had been washed, but a couple were bright red. The outlet underneath the desk had no faceplate on it, exposing wires. The carpet was ripped, showing the padding beneath it, and the chair had a crunchy stain on the seat. The deadbolt had been ripped off the door. Due to the fact that we were very tired, the hostility with which Keith had already treated us, as well as the sign above the front desk, I decided to let it go for the night and hope to speak with someone more helpful in the morning. We covered the stains on the bed with towels, threw the comforter on the floor, and slept under a sheet for the night. As other reviewers have noted, you cannot control the temperature - however, when it got too cold, I just stood up on the bed and shut the vent, which solved the problem.

The next morning, I spoke to the woman at the front desk - unfortunately, I can't remember her name. Though quite friendly, she was not much more helpful, but she did apologize and give me new sheets for the bed, as well as advice for sights to see in the area.

As someone who works in hotels, I am SHOCKED by our experience at Rodeway Inn Midtown. A housekeeping mistake is a housekeeping mistake - not the end of the world at all, and quite understandable. But the lack of effort to make it right, as well as the low standards in front desk staff are atrocious. I can't think of anyone to whom I could, in good faith, recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ariel L

The gst checked in and less than two minutes later they came to the FD to complain of pests and condoms. The FDC went to the room and was taken aback at the chaos he discovered in the room. The bedspread, blankets, sheets, mattress cover and pillows were thrown off the bed and flung all accross the room. The matress was complete off the bedspring and laying flipped over in the middle of the floor. The FDC was never shown a used condom. The complaint of pests was found to be lint. The FDC offered the guest another room and helped to move the luggage. Upon entering the second room the guest immediately started to ransack that room as they had done the first room. The FDC then informed the guest that if they felt unsafe with any of our accomations then they were free to search for other places, but he just coul not allow them to go from room to room ransacking it. We are on a monthly schedule for pest control and we have NO pest problem. I also have worked in hospitality for along time but I have never gone to another hotel and ransacked two rooms in such a manner