“The only hotel I have ever turned around and walked out of”

Red Roof Inn Baltimore Northwest
Ranked #50 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Nashville, Tennessee
“The only hotel I have ever turned around and walked out of”
Reviewed August 9, 2008

I think the title of my review says it all. I booked this hotel due to its extreme proximity to Pimlico Racetrack, the site of a very popular yearly music festival. I did read the reviews here but as there weren't many, thought I'd take the chance. This particular part of town goes from very bad to really nice pretty quickly, and I wasn't sure on what side of the coin this hotel would be.

it's - seriously - the worst hotel I have ever seen, and I've stayed in some fairly dodgy places in spots like Lima and Mexico City. The paint is cracked and peeling. The pool, which has been filled with dirt, is similar to a vacant lot of the type I've seen in abandoned industrial parks.

There were folks who looked very like stereotypical drug dealers hanging around in the parking lot. There is no elevator (there's one on the property but it doesn't work, and is dented and decrepit.) The bathroom tile was atrocious. I was afraid to set my bag down on the carpet in the room, much less sleep there for the night.

So I hightailed it for whatever other hotel my GPS could find (there's a very nice Ramada and a Hilton barely three miles directly up Reisterstown Road from this joint.)

The best part? This hotel tried to charge me $130 per night. Seriously. Then when I tried to return the keys, nobody answered the bell at the front desk. I called to tell them I wouldn't be returning and was spoken to rudely. I won't be happy if the full charge for this reservation appears on my credit card.

The website for this hotel reveals nothing of its true sordid nature. No way would I recommend this place for a single traveler of either sex, or anyone who values the safety of his or her person or belongings. For some reason there's an Econolodge sign outside, and I think I'll call Choice Hotels when I get home to warn them they need to disassociate themselves with this property.

• Liked — Nothing. It's horrific.
  • Disliked — The location is close to a specific music festival.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank DivemistressofthDark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 22, 2008

Do not stay here. Run from this place. It should be condemned.

A pseudo-modern 1950's roadside motel that is so run-down and shabby it should not be licensed. The neighborhood can be described as 'bad part of town' or 'high crime area' or 'urban blighted area' or 'the Ghetto.' The street is where you put up your windows and lock the doors.

The room was filthy and depressing. Walls painted an awful "baby vomit green" or if you remember the movie The Exorcist: "Linda Blair green" ... who picked out the awful color sheme? The place smelled of mildew and mold. Broken tiles in the bathroom. No lamps anywhere in the room just a week flourescent bulb in a cheap ceiling fixture. Too dark to read except in the bathroom.

I am not a fussy person, if you read my other reviews I am charitable about places that others found wanting. I have stayed at Youth Hostels, college dorms, hotels in Third World countries as well 4 or 5 star accommodations in places like London, Paris, New York, Hong Kong and Bangkok.

This place was scary! The worst I ever stayed in!! I tried to get out of my reservation, but the management was unsympathetic. I stayed only one night and fled the next morning, forfeiting the amount I spent for two nights.

This motel caters to men who pick up the nastiest and cheapest streetwalkers and need the cheapest room they can find. Just as I was checking in - in a tiny room (no lobby) with the clerk behind a thick bullet-proof window, a guy with a disheveled mangy looking female checked in after me: it was sleazy and scary.

Oh yes! Where there was once a pool, the concrete rectangular hole was filled with dirt! Get this: after dinner when I got back to the grim cell-like room, there were a couple of ragged homeless men sitting outside my room!

Please, please run from this place! Do not consider staying here! The only people who use this place are raunchy dudes and the lowest strata of street prostitutes looking for the cheapest room for an hour!

• Liked — Nothing!!! This is one of the worst places to stay in the world!!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!! Cheap, faded, filthy, moldy, unsafe, broken ... a prison-like flop house!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank buddmar
PA
Reviewed June 3, 2008

We got a motel room for 1 night. The staff was very nice; I had booked the room for the wrong date but didn't realize it until we got there. She let me change our date and didn't charge extra (just make sure you save your receipt with the sales tax, they tried to randomly charge $10 for tax). Otherwise, the room was large and the bed was comfortable. The inside of the room was clean enough, but bring your own towels because theirs feel like sandpaper. The outside of the hotel, tho, is run-down and off of a very busy highway, downtown from Baltimore. The people were very nice and parking was easy. If you're just looking for a bed to sleep in for one or two nights, there's nothing wrong with it.

• Liked — Cheap rates, big room/bed
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable towels, no remote
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Nescopeck
Reviewed August 11, 2007

I booked the cheapest hotel available and did not expect much. The room was large, the bed clean and comfortable, the TV remote worked and the carpet did not make my socks dirty. The bath towels however, were a grungy color of white. I really wished that I had brought my own as they were just gross. There was lots of hot water and it did not change temperature as I showered like in some hotels, I just hated using that towel to dry off with.

• Liked — cheap price
  • Disliked — grungy bath towels
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2007

This was the apsolute worst hotel I ever tried to stay at! My friends and I tryed to check in about 10 mins after check in time and we were told our rooms would not be ready until the concert we were going to was over! So we think ok no big deal! Come to find out that the people gave away our rooms! We were stuck in the slums of baltimore with no where to go! Priceline did try to help us but than these people decided to start yelling and cursing at us, and saying things I will not repeat on this website! The place was discusting in more ways than one and I seriously suggest staying somewhere else! You will be sorry if you stay here!!

• Liked — It was close to the event I was going to!
  • Disliked — The people that owned the place were rude
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank jy1452
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baltimore
Mount Vernon
Mt. Washington
Mt. Washington Conference Center
Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys
#27 of 66 in Baltimore

Been to Red Roof Inn Baltimore Northwest? Share your experiences!