“Great rooms and *mostly* great service”

Residence Inn by Marriott Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great rooms and *mostly* great service”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel was totally worth it. For $145 we got a 1BR suite with separate kitchen, and a perfect view of the Baltimore marathon route (which is why we were there). They also accept pets and don't give any sort of hassles about it, or anything (such as additional deposits or size discrimination, etc., like other places), and the staff was mostly AMAZING. The bell/valet staff was literally a JOY, they were so nice, fast, considerate, and genuinely helpful, people-people, if you know what I mean. The only downside is I basically had to threaten that I was going to squat there to get a late checkout--and I was running the marathon, so it was physically impossible for me to check out. And, this was something I requested in advance, am a Gold Elite, and everything. They were busy, so I understand, but the woman at the front desk was so rude about it. So if you want that, make sure you confirm it up front! However, I realize this is a privilege, so I was ultimately grateful they gave it to me--it was just in how it was done seemed unnecessary. Bottomline though, is it was great service, great value, great location, and really a pleasant stay. I would totally go back and recommend to others.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank starryi
pminer, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your review.

On behalf of my staff, I am sorry you had a difficult time getting a late checkout and felt my staff could have been more accomodating. With the marathon and the Green Bay Packers vs. Baltimore game...the hotel was very busy. We do our best to accomodate everyone's request on a first come first serve basis.

I can certainly understand your need to go back to your room after running a marathon. I am glad it work out. Thanks for your patients.

Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
Pace, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My experience from check in to check out was amazing. Walking distance to the EXPO and Race start and finish was a blessing. I was on the 5th FLOOR and found it surprisingly quiet inside the hotel and no noise from any of the other guests. Bed was comfy and after the marathon chose to stay an additional night for recovery before returning home to FLORIDA. All restaurants were within walking distance (INNER HARBOR). DUNKIN Doughnuts and CVS were right next door.

One little flaw was the street noise and Baltimore tends to have sirens going 24 hours a day.

Breakfast on the day of checkout was awesome and hot.

Overall, super Stay and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
pminer, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for staying with us over the Baltimore Marathon. Please keep us in mind for 2014.
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed October 13, 2013

From the friendly greeting to the cleanliness of the rooms, this is still a great family hotel. Breakfast is busy, but they opened other rooms. Excellent downtown value. Fortunately we had free parking available as that might be an issue.

Room Tip: If you travel with children this is great as the suite had a fully equipped kitchenette. Better tha...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
pminer, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Residence Inn by Marriott-Baltimore Inner Harbor. I appreciate you feedback regarding the need to use your key in the elevator. I understand that your hands may not be free every time you get into the elevator. My staff tries to assist any guest that does not have a fee hand.

As a General Manager...I like this feature for two reasons. 1) If your keys get demagnitized because it was too close to your cell phone...you will find out in the elevator and not when you get all the way to your room. 2) It helps keep people out of the hotel who do not belong here.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times when I have visited Batimore. Very convenient location, within walking distance to the Inner Harbor, Camden Yards, and Raven Stadium. I was in town for the Marathon and walking to the starting line was very easy. Dunkin Donuts, CVS, and 7-Eleven are all next door. Valet parking is a bit pricey but convenient. The hotel is pet friendly and we have brought our dog on past visits. Kitchen has a dishwasher, microwave, and stove top. Full sized refrigerator. Street noise can be a bit loud on lower floors. Shower is nice, plenty of hot water. Bed is comfortable, and many rooms have sleeper/sofas. Free breakfast in the morning is tasty and the room it is served in is large. Wi-FI could be a bit stronger. Wish you didn't need to use your key every time you use the elevator!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Charles E
Thank you for your comment regarding the speed of our internet. We currently have a 10 meg, however, we will be getting a least 50 meg by the first of the year. Now that customers have 2-3 items that use the internet...we are finding that we need more bandwidth. Thank you for staying with us!

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Spent two nights here for the 2013 Baltimore Running Festival - ran the half-marathon. For the race, the Half Marathon, the hotel location is PERFECT (the start line is less than a 2 minute walk). For the full marathon and from the finish line area, it is about a .75 mile walk (took about 12min to walk back to the hotel. I cannot speak high enough of this hotel (as described below):

STAFF: The front desk staff on Friday the 11th unfortunately was not wearing name tags, otherwise I would have mentioned her by name - but, she was very customer service oriented, check-in was quick and I was offered my room, early, without even a hesitation.

HOUSEKEEPING: Again, perfect. I asked for extra towels - and got them immediately. Room upkeep was perfect and timely. The only shortfall was a 11:51pm wake-up with a knock at the door with a night housekeeper with 2 rolls of TP----I was dead asleep....but, the knocking persisted.....got a good laugh out of it in the morning.....just worth mentioning that the night staff needs to triple-check room numbers before knocking on doors that late (plus, after the 2nd knock, if I was expecting TP, I would have answered after the 1st knock...lol).

BREAKFAST: Hotel was sold-out for both days I was in the property (marathon, convention and Green Bay vs. Raven game) and they easily kept up with the morning demand. And, as a plus, there is soda available in the morning (wish more hotels did that). Plentiful hot items available.

PARKING: OK - see my picture below - and I hate to ruin the $32/day fee the hotel charges, BUT, park across the street (directly south of the 7-Eleven) at the 25 Charles St garage (yes, the entrance is off of Light St) - - - the weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) fee is only $10/day (yes---only $10 day). My picture has the parking fees. Even during the work-week, the fee is only $20/day - so, still a substantial savings. The valets are extremely friendly (all of them I engaged during my visit) - while not Marriott employees, they definately extended a customer service level that most valets do not. So, for my entire weekend - I spent $30 for parking - - no in-n-out, but, it didn't matter....you don't need a car in downtown Baltimore....you can walk everywhere.

ROOM: I was in Room 1503, with a nice north view. 2 Queen studio and as the pictures reveal, the room was huge. Room is well maintained, everything worked, plenty of space (with the exception of the bathroom----but, still do-able). HVAC worked perfectly - plenty of AC. Kitchen was well appointed and we utilized the appliances on several occasions. Beds were extremely comfortable.

INTERNET: It's free! Not that fast - but, fast enough.

ELEVATORS: OK - it's an older building - and only has -2- elevators - but, we never really ever had to wait for a ride.

17 Light St Bar: Very friendly bar on the ground floor - resonable "hotel" prices.

MARKETPLACE: OK, again, I hate to ruin the "money-making-marketplace" - but, there is a 7-Eleven literally directly across the street - and the 7-Eleven prices are a bargin, compared to the hotel prices (yes, I said that 7-eleven was a bargin....bet you never heard that before). There is also a CVS and a Royal Farms less than a 1 minute walk from the hotel. Also, McDonalds is 1 min away as well (but, that McDonalds is over-run with transients).

We were extremely happy with our stay, and this will be my home-away-from-home on all trips to Baltimore. Room rates are extremely competitive (and a value) for such a central Downtown location. Throw in the 2 free newspapers (USA Today and WSJ), free breakfast and free wi-fi and the roomy suites - and you just cannot beat this property.

Room Tip: If a South facing high floor is available, choose it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MARATHON-MCPO-USN
Thank you for the great review. Your tip for self parking is spot on! If you are not going to use your car...this garage is across the street. They also do monthly parking for around $200 per month if you are staying over two weeks.

Valet parking is a good value if you will be using your vehicle. The other nice thing about valet parking is you can leave your car with valet until 5pm the next day without an additonal charge.

See you next year!

Barnegat, New Jersey
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Our one night stay at this convient hotel was wonderful, stay was very helpful. Room was immactulate, and breakfast was a full breakfast, and great. Short walking distance to Inner Harbor and Camden Yards Baseball field.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank judithamato
pminer, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for the great review!

Chester, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Residence Inn hotels are nice because you have some room to move and each room has amenities to make you visit comfortable. Thi hotel was very nice. I think the rooms were a little out dated and could use updating. All of the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The evening front desk attendant was excellent. The door men were very war, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The hotel is very safe in that a key is needed for the elevator at all times. The free breakfast was very good and a great value. The food service workers were super kind and friendly. The restaurant and bar was very good. The bar tender was extremely forendly and helpful. The managers should be proud of all staff at this hotel because they all are very customer service oriented and did an excellent job.

Room Tip: I recommend a high floor in order to be furhter away from the sounds of the city. The rooms had exce...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Wayne M
Thank you for your feedback regarding the slamming of doors. I will let my engineers know because we can slow down the speed of the door closures.

Thanks for staying with Marriott