“a charming b&b”

Wilson House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 12 Baltimore B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 31, 2008

We chose Wilson House B&B on the basis of price ($110 plus tax) and proximity to our daughter's apartment in Waverly. It was about 2 miles and a 10 minute drive away. It was also reasonably close to Centerstage and two excellent movie houses, The Senator and The Charles. While the house is adjacent to a interstate 83, the house itself was quiet. Having the highway at our doorstep was a major convenience.
We stayed in "the purple room", with clawfoot tub and european style shower. The water was really hot and easy to control. The bed was easily the most comfortable, that is firm, bed we have every shared in any hotel or b&b anywhere.
Breakfast was delicious. Clelie and Guy provide elegant serving pieces to complement the excellent breakfast, pictured below. A platter of fresh kiwi,banana, orange, apple, grapes and pineapple along with what seemed like either fresh-squeezed orange juice or indistinguishable from it. Next came omelettes because we prefer low carb choices and declined homemade pancakes, which i have heard were delicious. Guy told us that Clelie was new to cooking eggs, but you would never know it upon forking her omelet "baveuse" french for juicey Along with the omelet there was a perfect strawberry and hash browns, then coffee. We didn't help ourselves to yogurt because it was politically correct low fat, non fat or activia and we prefer plain 4% yogurt, hard to find, but really best.
in short, this is a wonderful choice for a b&b in Baltimore.

• Stayed: December 2008

Reviewed November 21, 2008

First off this place was extraordinary, absolutely beautiful, within walking distance to just about everything and it's in a gorgeous location. The hosts were very warm and welcoming, it was as if we were visiting family and that house was open to us to make ourselves at home. The rooms are gorgeous, the town is an artsy town and I would absolutely plan to stay here every time I am in Baltimore. I plan on telling all of my family and friends about the place too. This house has a lot of history behind it and it's very interesting to explore for yourself. Breakfast was a very homey kind of breakfast and it was very pleasant. The conversation with the hosts and guests is literally like being at a big table with your friends and family, it was very enjoyable.

You can pay a higher price for a room at a chain hotel where you are confined to your room or the hallway, have a bagel breakfast, hang out in the dull lobby area and watch where you go because you know you are not allowed to venture anywhere you want or you can pay less for a open house, beautiful scenery, a beautiful room, a leisurely specially made breakfast, tentative hosts, tea, wine and cheese tasting, and so much more.

I can see if you aren't into history and have no desire to even learn about the area or house itself why you may not like the place and then a mediocre hotel chain with horrible service, pricey small rooms, and zero entertainment value would be the right place for you but as for people with taste and a joy for life and history, this B&B is the best they come.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2008

The ambiance, the breakfast, and, most importantly, the owners are exquisite. This is a real historic house appointed with period furniture and a wonderful collection of unique art and treasures.
It is convenient to all of downtown Baltimore via the light rail train. It is also within walking distance of neat museums, boutiques, and restaurants. A real treat to hear the history from Guy and to taste the wonderfully-presented food of his wife, Clelia. Cozy areas for reading and listening to melodies. You will enjoy just touring the 12 bedrooms and all the little alcoves and crannys.
What a place. We enjoyed it so much.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mto4oo
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We traveled only 35 miles from home for a "tourist" weekend in Baltimore and picked the Wilson House on the basis of its location, history and value. We were not disappointed. The photos and description of the restoration don't do the work justice; the place is beautiful. The location was perfect, just minutes from the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Little Italy and the other places we visited. (There was also ample parking!) Our two breakfasts were substantial, well prepared and served in wonderful surroundings. The evening wine and cheese was an opportunity to meet other guests. The hosts had interesting stories and shared them freely. We will be returning to Baltimore to attend the "Trapeze School" we accidentally discovered at the Inner Harbor; we plan to return to the Wilson House at that time.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I have had the pleasure of staying twice at the Wilson House. Once with a group of seven from Italy and with my 2 friends from London. We all enjoyed very much staying at the Wilson House and I look forward to staying there again. The breakfasts were wonderful and the closeness of the Light Railway is a plus. Such nice hosts was an added bonus..

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I should say up front that we are fairly low-maintenance, undemanding people, so maybe our experience was colored by not being as constitutionally dour and negative as some other reviewers, but we had a great time at Wilson House. My friends and I took over the place for the weekend of my wedding, and we were in love with the insane decor and the somewhat insane owner. The room was much bigger than we expected from the website, and there was always something interesting to look at anywhere you went in the house. Breakfast was pretty unremarkable, and I'd probably eat somewhere else if I went back, but the place is cheap enough that I wouldn't mind. (It was pancakes for everyone, but they did accommodate a friend of mine with multiple allergies by making her a milk-free omelette.) Wilson House made a great home base -- we loved our room, enjoyed spending time in the common areas, and were able to come and go as we pleased (no feeling like you're sneaking into someone's home when you come in late). We didn't get a lot of personal attention (though we did get stories from Guy, which we thought were quite funny), but we didn't need it either.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2008

I'm a medical student going through rotations at Johns Hopkins and am actually a commuter from Virginia. Because of my crazy rotation schedule, I stay during the week in Baltimore at the Wilson House. I've been booking there since November of last year (2007). Trust me, I've been through some other B&Bs in Baltimore and was just having the worst time with OTHER properties. Luckily, I happened upon Guy and Clelia and the Wilson House. I can't say enough about their graciousness, hospitality and the comfort of their home. I have tried a number of their rooms and they are all wonderful. I do stay most times in the Aviary or Newport because I do have to watch my pennies. I'm in the same category as the "starving artist" and have to be very conservative in my spending. But I tell you that I AM NOT suffering, as a matter of fact, I still can't believe how spoiled and lucky I feel. My stay at the Wilson House is providing me with that home feel and comfort that is helping me survive through some very difficult days. When my rotation in this area ends in November, I'll be very sad to bid Guy and Clelia adieu, but will count them among my dearest friends.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)