“Very Lovely Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 13 Baltimore B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very Lovely Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Excellent location, near light rail. Beautiful mansion. Large room and bath. Spotlessly clean! Lovely breakfast. Very interesting conversation with Guy, the innkeeper. Accommodated our request for early morning coffee. Would absolutely go back to the Wilson House, next time in Baltimore!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Guy T, Owner at Wilson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
That's just what we like to hear! Thank you so much for taking the time to recommend us. Hope all's well in Philadelphia!

Until next time,
Guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boynton Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This review comes out pretty late, we stayed at the Wilson house for a business/pleasure excursion with our two children, an 11 year old and a 9 month old, in June of 2012.
When I had made my reservations, I was told that the room on the main floor that I wanted was not available, and that we would be accommodated in a room that would suit our needs just fine. I was not told about the atrocious parking in the area, and had to circle the block in that AWFUL neighborhood a couple of times before I could find a place to park. I will say, however, the outside of the actual building was pretty gorgeous to look at. The flowers were in full bloom and smelled absolutely amazing. I was not told that my "accommodating" room (the master bedroom and suite) would be on the third floor of a building without an elevator, and that should have been something to mention to a person that has just told you they have an infant they are traveling with. After hiking the stairs of a pretty interesting staircase, I was let into a room that was so hot that I got a little bit sick, and had to lay down for a minute before I could venture downstairs to get the essentials that we needed from the car. The air conditioner took forever to cool the room. The beds were incredibly uncomfortable, I assume that the other reviewers that had great beds slept in other rooms.
After a couple of hours, the children and I left to retrieve my spouse from work, and when we arrived back at the Inn, it was absolutely pouring rain, like, a torrential downpour. There was no parking at all available for us, and I dropped my spouse and the children off at the front and parked about a block away. After wading through the rain (literally up to my thighs) I opened the door to a party scene inside of the main living room and dining room. I try to make my way through the crowd of what felt like 30 people and up the stairs and am stopped by a man who tells me that I cannot go upstairs. I explained that I am a guest and would like to go to my room and started to walk forward when he loudly says that I cannot go upstairs. I was drenched and carrying luggage, why else would I be here? I explain (a lot louder) that I am staying upstairs and stalk away. After getting to my room I discover that my spouse is absolutely livid, having walked in carrying a soaking wet, screaming infant and being laughed at by that very same man who did not want me to go to my room. He goes back down to get the rest of our luggage, and the same gentleman made a few more snide remarks about our plight, so when my spouse came back to our room, he explained to me that he wanted to leave the next morning, and I didn't disagree.
This party went on for hours. It was loud and frustrating. We all slept pretty poorly since the room was fairly warm and the beds were so uncomfortable.
When we awoke the next morning, my spouse went downstairs to talk to the proprietors. That gentleman from the night before was the owner. When my spouse explained that we were unhappy with our room and our treatment the night before, he was offered the room that I was told was unavailable when I made our reservations. Since our sleep was so poor, we had already decided to leave and had found another hotel to check into, we said no. We were told that the hotel policy was that if you left early, that you had to pay an additional nights' charge, since the room could have been rented out and wasn't because of our reservation. I suppose I understood it, but since we were so frustrated about our treatment and the entire rest of the inn was empty, they could have split the difference with us, but we said fine and dealt with the extra $180 to leave a night early. We sat down to breakfast since Clelia had made the food. It was pretty well cooked, but the conversation the owner decided to have with us was horrible. For some unknown reason he decided to start discussing abortion at the breakfast table with my 11 year old daughter sitting there with us. Despite the fact that I repeatedly and loudly said that this was not appropriate conversation and to please stop talking about it, he plunged on ahead until he made whatever point he was trying to make. I was disgusted. It was a great way to have to have that kind of conversation with my child for the first time afterwards. We ended our breakfast and left. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Bear in mind that we paid for ANOTHER night and STILL LEFT! Beware of this place!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Luz L
Cooperstown, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for one night when visiting my son who goes to MICA. Great location, as it was just 1/2 mile from my son's dorm. We were so impressed by this beautifully restored Victorian so lovingly decorated by the owners. Great mattress for sleeping and delightful and generous breakfast served in the elegant dining room. Our hosts were very kind to us!! We'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

fantastic hosts, wonderful food and company, easy access to baltimore attractions, gorgeous house, reasonable price for a nice overnight, interesting arts & crafts adorn every wall and horizontal space. can't recommend them highly enough. we'll be back!

Room Tip: the room we stayed in (purple) had some traffic noise from the highway, but it just became white noi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahwah, N.J.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We visited Baltimore with another couple for the weekend, and stayed two nights at Wilson House. The first afternoon, my wife fell off her bike and was badly bruised. Our hostess, Clelia, had several magic ointments and got down on her her knees to minister to my stricken wife. Clelia was also an excellent breakfast cook and a delightful person. Our talkative host Guy was also very helpful, furnishing wine, whiskey and playing cards. The only negative was that our room, the Wilson Room, faced Route 83 and was alive with car noise. Our friends room was quiet. We would definitely return to this charming B & B.

Room Tip: Don't face Route 83 if you mind traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rosedale, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I decided to do a weekend getaway and went to Wilson House. What a great experience that was! And, it was our first b&b! We love that historical house. From the time we got there, until the time we left we were treated extremely well. The Wilson room was soooo charming. The location was fantastic. It was only 10 minutes away from the Harbor, and close enough to anyplace else we wanted to go.

Guy was a darling. He was so knowledgable about the Baltimore area and t;s history. He was gracious enough to take us for a tour of his Reservoir Hill neighborhood because he realized we were interested in the properties in the area. Who else would do that! Clelia made us delicious breakfasts each morning consisting of fresh fruits, waffles, french toast and the like. And, to top it off, we were even served on China and crystal. What a treat!

We definitely recommend going to Wilson House if you plan to visit Baltimore. Staying there really topped off our mini vacation. We'll definitely go back.

Room Tip: The Wilson Room is spacious, and has its own bath.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed here for one evening for graduation from Johns Hopkins - it was beautiful! We stayed in the Purple Room and the Wilson Room - both were great with separate bathrooms. The location was ideal, it was just a few minutes from campus and just a few minutes from downtown Baltimore!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family