“A Touch of France in Fells”
Review of Bonaparte Breads - CLOSED

Bonaparte Breads
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Fine place for a tasty pastry and good coffee in historic Fells Point. Great place to warm up, relax, have coffee and a flaky french treat.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I were on a little getaway from DC and were told about this place. Since we were walking around in Fells Point and not quite ready for lunch, we decided to stop in and have a snack. The aroma was enticing as we approached (I'm a sucker for baked breads). We ordered croissants (my wife had the apple and I ordered the almond) - and we were by no means disappointed. The croissants were moist and flaky, deliciously flavored without being too sweet. Not to mention, they were very cheap for the high quality you received (about $3 each). We just had to take a few to go. It was not packed at all, probably because it was Saturday afternoon. However, there was a decent crowd there. People having lunch, students studying, and tourists dropping in. If you like bakeries, you have to stop here.

1  Thank Victor B
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The sandwiches are varied and the breads are wonderful. We always purchase extra to take home with us. Desserts are amazing!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

On my last morning in Baltimore's beautiful Inner Harbor I hit the streets early in search of only one thing - fresh baked breads. So I did a few searches online, plotted my route through Baltimore and - after 3 stops that didn't quite hit the mark - I arrived at Bonaparte Breads. As soon as I opened the door I smelled the aroma I was looking for.

There's something about the smell of warm, fresh, buttery breads, scones, quiches, croissants, tarts and pastries - that draws me into my comfort zone. I ordered two Croissants and a Cappuccino and sat in the window light watching the harbor.

The ambiance was French inspired with tall square columns, Provencal ceilings, and glass chandeliers. There were prints of Jacques-Louis David's version of Napoleon Crossing the Alps and even a letter to the owners from the French Consulate thanking them for catering an official diplomatic event for them.

With the harbor just outside I enjoyed the peace and quiet and the food as customers came in and out for lunch or to pick up their baked goods. My croissants - the largest I've seen - were tightly wound, moist inside and had a crisp flavorful crust that was laminated in butter.

An hour later I refilled my cappuccino and purchased the last 2 petit pains they had. They were served with rich butter (higher butterfat) and I enjoyed them from their soft center to their thick crust. Typically I don't pour on the carbs like that but I was on a mission and that's what my mind, body and spirit wanted on a rainy Baltimore morning. Sitting by the window I had a sense of hearth and home. I had what I was looking for - Atmosphere.

1  Thank Phantom Dine R
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We ducked in there on a cold miserable day for coffee and pastries. The food was delicious as was the coffee. The breads and other baked goods were tempting and they had a steady stream of patrons.