“Quirky place with excellent food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ethel's Creole Kitchen

Ethel's Creole Kitchen
Ranked #118 of 1,999 Restaurants in Baltimore
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mt. Washington
Description: We serve an innovative mix of Cajun / Creole cuisine and local Maryland fare that utilizes both Chesapeake Bay and New Orleans flavors. From sweet corn to blue crabs, rockfish, shrimp, crawdads and more, the delights of these two regions abound and the heritage of preparing the local fare runs deep in the culture of both regions. Just as summer in Baltimore would not be complete without a crab cake or picnic of steamed crabs smothered in Old Bay, neither would any trip to New Orleans be complete without a sampling of Gumbo, Jambalaya, or a Po'Boy. We have dubbed our food Maryland Creole Cuisine. Items such as Crab and Shrimp Gumbo, Blackened Rockfish, and Pan Fried Oysters with Remoulade are just a few samplings of how wonderfully the flavors of Maryland and Louisiana blend.
Providence, Rhode Island
“Quirky place with excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Ethel & Ramone's was chosen as the spot for the class dinner for my high school reunion. The group was about 15 on a Saturday night. We had a limited menu because of the size of the group. I chose mini-crab appetizer - which was a delicious crab meat blend in what I think was a purchased pastry shell. The shell was a disappointing complement to the crab, I should have just eaten the crab meat. The main course was a nicely presented and huge portion of crab and andouille sausage gumbo. The presentation included a medley of vegetables that added color and offset some of the heat of the gumbo. There was lots of sausage and less crab meat, but the entree was delicious, It was even good reheated a day later when I finished the meal at home. The service was very good for a large group (large for the size of the restaurant) and friendly. Beer and wine only, disappointing one of our alumnae who was hoping for a cosmo. I would go back here in a second to order the gumbo a second time and to try other dishes.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Chuck B

Baltimore, Maryland
“best fried oysters anywhere - a favorite go to spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Ed is my favorite cook in Baltimore. Not high end, but near flawless execution and unreal flavors. Geoff runs the front (and back) like his own house, and can make a mean pie! VERY casual spot for flavorful interesting food, amazing soups and salads and an always interesting soundtrack.

Also awesome lunch!!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank ted s
Baltimore, Maryland
“We passed up free food to pay to eat here.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were all hanging out at Mt. Washington tavern which at the time had free food for happy hour (don't know if they still do after the fire). It was good but the lines for it was long and annoying. Anyways we left hungry. We wandered around the area and found Ethel & Ramone's.

It was amazing. Some of the best crab dip I've ever had, some of the best dessert I've ever had, and the food was awesome. There was three of us and we all left very happy, even my picky, hard-to-please sister.

The place is small but you feel like you're in someone's kitchen which was nice.

I'd love to go back but I don't live nearby....

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank gomerk
Baltimore, Maryland
“You never forget your first time...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I decided to do a restaurant close to home, for Valentines Day... I must say that we were very pleased with Ethel & Ramone's. Quaint atmosphere in the Mt. Washington neighborhood.

Our appetizers: Spinach Crab Dip & Chipeppa... WOW! What a way to start a dinner. Big portions and absolutely DELICIOUS.

Entrees: We both had the Jambalaya... I did chicken and my wife had shrimp. The entrees were so big, neither of us finished them. We also had a glass of red wine, with dinner. I am eating my leftover Jambalaya, while writing this review.

Dessert: 4 huge chocolate covered strawberries.

The only downside of our visit was that we sat downstairs near the kitchen, so not only was it loud but everytime someone entered or left, we caught the cold air from outside. All in all, Ethel & ramone's get a thumbs up from us... We will be back!

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank JAD68
Tallahassee
“We loved this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

My daughter, son-in-law and I intended to have a Friday night dinner at a nearby, very well-known restaurant, but the wait was more than two hours, so we walked to Ethel & Ramone's. The food and the service could not have been better! We each started with soup -- my daughter had tomato and fennel, my son had cream of potato and I had French onion -- and we were each very happy with our choices. But the best was to come. We split a full rack of ribs and two crab cakes. Both were served with masked potatoes and steamed vegetables. The crab cakes were the best any of us had ever had -- jumbo lump crab meat with no filler! The ribs were fantastic. I'm from the South and we're very picky about our ribs - I've never had better. The potatoes were perfectly prepared, as were the veggies. And then the chocolate pie, made by the owner. Oh, my, gosh! If I had been alone, I might have licked the plate. As other reviewers have said, this is not a fancy place. It's in a quaint area in Mt. Washington, old building, etc. But the food was absolutely fantastic and we'll definitely be back!

• Visited December 2012