“Only in a pinch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Only in a pinch”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'm New York born and raised and generally find Greg's to be a disappointment. Even though he's the closet place to my house where I can get something resembling bagels and lox, I almost never go there. His bagels are the right size, but even the traditional savory flavors (as opposed to the sweet abominations that no true bagel shop should carry) have a slightly sweet malt flavor that is a turn off. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that is more like the Montreal than New York style bagels. Whatever the origin, they don't compare to the bagels my Dad used to pick up on Sundays for our brunch, and there's no reason Greg couldn't equal those if he were so inclined. He does have the best selection of smoked salmon I've ever seen, and Greg is extremely knowledgable and passionate about the varieties he carries. The problem is that smoked salmon isn't lox. I like real lox (aka belly lox), and Greg refuses to carry it. He also won't carry smoked sturgeon, which is rightly considered the aristocrat of smoked fish. So all in all, if I want lox or sturgeon, I'll go to Edmart in Pikesville. If I want good bagels, I'll get them at Bagel Bistro on Joppa Road, which has the best and most authentic bagels (they're slightly undercooked but otherwise excellent), I've been able to get in Baltimore since Chesapeake Bagelry closed.

• Visited November 2011

Towson, MD
“Very Good Bagels - with great variety”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Best bagels in Towson easily. I like the different varieties
like Flax, Vidalia Onion and other whole grain types.

Bagels are excellent with cream cheese.
the few times I have had sandwiches they have
been ok but less than stellar - considering the quality
of the bagels.

Price is good. Greg is there. Lots of young people working.
Yes, Euros are accepted. If I were skinnier these days -
I would eat there more often.

• Visited September 2012
Glen Burnie, Maryland
“Greg's Bagels is habit forming, its cash only - US dollars or Euros are fine!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

It is rare anywhere else that you order a bagel and it is delivered to you warm. Not so at Greg's, it happens quite often. I buy six bagels (a $1 each) to bring home usually. Their selection of lox is among the best I have ever encountered. The bagels are smaller than at bagel chains, yet have a better consistency. They are authentic to what you would have found in NYC or Pittsburgh fifty years ago before bagels were trendy. If only they sold traditional salt bagels, which I have never seen there.

For many months they had a sign in the store stating that they were looking for Euros and would exchange at best rate available.

• Visited August 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good honest to goodness bagels”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I am not a bagel connoisseur and have not grown up eating them (am English) so the texture has always been alien to me (especially the dense chewiness). So I do not seek out bagels and in the 3 years that I have been living in the US have never purposefully ordered a bagel... I usually avoid them.

So today, I had a crew of contractors arrive to work on the house and as Greg's was the closest place I could think of to go get some bagels for their breakfast I went there. I ordered a mixed round of breakfast bagels and came home. I had overcalculated the number needed and there was one extra (sesame toasted bagel with egg and cheddar cheese) so I decided to have it for my breakfast.

Everything about it was perfect! From its size, to the tenderness of the dough to the filling hot and stretchy cheese. I was also very pleased to know that it is an independent bagel shop with the owner and his wife serving me. There is another mainstream chain bakery about 1 mile up the road, but I always like to frequent independently owned shops. In this economic age, these neighbourhood places are well worth supporting.

The location is great with free parking available, and the interior is very reminiscent of a traditional NY bagel shop (as I have witnessed on TV & movies) with black & white wall tiles, bakery in back and a conveyor of staff making up the orders.

I would come back and am very tempted to try their plain toasted bagel with unsalted normandy butter... a treat!

• Visited August 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best of baltimore (and beyond)”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This place has ruined all other bagels for me. They're really that good. Don't be afraid to try something new and ALWAYS take Greg and Kathy's recommendations.