“Excellent food”
Review of The Black Olive

The Black Olive
Reserve with OpenTable
The Black Olive is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #201 of 2,026 Restaurants in Baltimore
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Cross street: Shakespeare
Description: A classic Greek Psarotaverna (fish tavern) set in the charming Fell's Point historic district since 1997. Serving world class seafood and Greek specialties using the finest organic ingredients. Specializing in whole fish filleted table side. Extensive wine list selections and private wine cellar dining to complement the bold flavors of Executive chef Pauline Spiliadis who bakes the best bread daily. You will be transformed from the cobblestone streets of one of America's first seaports to a a Greek island. The tender octopus and the grilled stuffed calamari have developed a cult like following. It is clear that the special relationships with the world of winemakers brings selections that are not found many places in the world. The first to introduce farm to table and organic ingredients to Baltimore. Serving lunch and dinner daily.
chicago
“Excellent food”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

No complaints. Food was excellent and the decor was very nice. As one who needs gluten free, they were very accommodating to make sure everything was very good

Towson, Maryland
“Very Good.....but”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Went here with our friends, one of whom was celebrating a birthday. To begin the review, nothing here was wrong; but yet throughout I felt something was missing. Service was competent but restrained. Salad was all right, but for $10 each, there should have been more here in both quality and quantity. We have had better and larger salads elsewhere for half the price. Seemed that the only reason for the price was that the restaurant is known to be "upscale". My main dish was fish, but the fish I selected they didn't have though it was a Saturday night. The rockfish (striped bass) that both my wife and I had was very nicely prepared and was of sufficient size to pass muster.
Veggie side dish was nondescript and the desserts we had were OK. Drinks too were OK.
So overall, to us, OK is fine, but not "upscale". The meal, overall, just didn't warrant the pricing.
Compliments though, on giving us a good table to celebrate the birthday. For us, though, either the pricing must come down or the quality and size of drinks, salads, and sides needs to be much improved.

“Charming Service”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Our young waiter bent over backwards with great service. He was practicing his bartending skills on us. My husband's martini was perfect. My Cosmo - not so much - but he made three in an effort to get it right. I fault the recipe - not his efforts. He did a great job of explaining the menu & suggesting things. Our Greek entrees were both potentially very good - but both, unfortunately, over-cooked. So the food was OK at best on a slow Wednesday night, but the excellent service would make us give them another try.

Visited August 2013
Devon, Pennsylvania
“what a wonderful restaurant.... thank you!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We love to eat fresh food in pleasant atmosphere and Stelios and Paulina provide this in their authentic greek restaurant the Black Olive.... we have been a fan for years living in Annapolis for 3 years we drove the over and hour roundtrip drive just to dine here often... recently we were flying out of Baltimore and stopped in for yet another wonderful experience. These people do it right!... also we stayed in the hotel for our first time and it too was wonderful.... thank you so much .... we are grateful.....

• Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Simply outstanding!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and went to the Black Olive on a week night, avoiding the usual weekend crowds in Fells Point. We could not have been more pleased! I was intrigued by an appetizer that featured each of the individual seafood appetizers, al of which was grilled. I had several mussels, clams, shrimp, pieces of octopus, stuffed calamari, scallops...I think I have them all. Each was grilled to perfection. My wife had grilled scallops and she thought them better than first rate. I also had a Greek salad as a side. The place was comfortably full, the service was attentive, but not intrusive. On-street parking was easily available - not being the weekend. We shared an apple tart with ice cream. I could not think of anything that could have been better!