“Hidden Basement Tresure”

Dining options: Late Night
New Jersey
“Hidden Basement Tresure”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

It is hard to find authentic Asian food in America unless you know who to ask and where to go. Talking to a local bartender, he led my friends and I to our new favorite, must stop place in Baltimore.

We visited the restaurant very late after a night out. Most people would walk away being dropped off in "the middle of no where" and having to walk down the stairs and ring a doorbell. Not us. It was worth the wait out in the cold.

There is not one thing on the menu that would disappoint you. The service on the other hand might. We were ignored and had to ring the doorbell for at least 20 mins just to be let in to find out that the place was basically empty. I don't know if that is standard all day or just late in the day, either way we had a blast.

If you like a little adventure and great food this is the place.

• Visited December 2013

Pensacola, Florida
“This is the place you've been looking for!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Nam Kang, is an unassuming basement restaurant that is exactly the home-cooked, authentic flavor Korean, Japanese, and Chinese spot you've been looking for. Forget about the generic "American" Asian restaurants that litter the Baltimore area and visit Nam Kang to get fresh flavors, homemade noodles, and a wonderful assortment of kimchi/banchan.
Here's what we ordered:
- Sae Woo Pa Jun (Shrimp Pancake)
- Banchan set
- Combi Udon
- Je Yuk Gui (Spicy Pork w/ rice, miso soup on the side)

Here's what you need to know about all of the food.... IT WAS RIDICULOUSLY GOOD!!! Seriously, if you're in the mood for Korean, Japanese, or Chinese... don't think about it... go there!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank J_H_918
Columbia, Maryland, United States
“exotic, very good Korean food”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This restaurant is on my list of favorites; prices are fair, and the food is very good. I like the lunch menu; my favorite dish is beef with vegetables on a hot stone pot. Very good chewy rice at the bottom of the pot. The service is average, sometimes English is limited depending on the server, but often prompt, and efficient. The soups can be spicy hot, but taste and good.

• Visited August 2013
Baltimore
“Eh... There's better options out there”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Nam Kang is a pretty average Korean restaurant, a little pricier than its competitors, but also less busy.

There's ample seating in the restaurant, but not sufficient parking outside.

The jajangmyun is decent. It can't compare to its Ellicott City/Catonsville counterparts, but it's certainly a win in Baltimore. The tangsooyook can be better. It's not as crispy or fresh as I've had in the past, but it's okay if you're craving it.

Refills for sides cost extra, so savor the first servings.

Visited July 2013
Charlottesville
“EAT HERE NOW! possibly the very best korean food i've ever had in my life”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I came here with a friend last week late night and had an amazing experience. It might have been the best korean restaurant I've been to in the U.S. - definitely right up there with all the korean places i've been to growing up in the north jersey/new york city area. We started with the dumplings, which were standard dumplings for any asian restaurant and were good, then also ordered the bulgogi, the seafood pancakes, and about 3 other meat dishes I wish I could remember the name of. Much to our surprise, the waitress brings over like 6 little mini bowls each filled with different tasty side dishes like kimchi, pickled spicy cucumber, some kind of beans, etc., and a big thing of white rice. Everything we had was terrific. We both agreed it was the best bulgogi we had ever had, and the seafood pancake really, really impressed us. It was a little greasier than I probably would have liked it, but it had that great tasty crispness to the edges, with the perfect soft tender middle part. My friend also ordered some really spicy meat dish which he liked a lot too. I've seen where a few people have said the kimchi is just so-so. I can understand since it's typically really spicy hot. Here it's more spicy flavorful and tasty, and only moderately spicy hot - which is exactly how i like it. I thought the kimchi was very good. (But they'll also provide some korean hot sauce which is really tasty too if you'd like your other dishes a little hotter.) Also, best part, they're open til 4 am. This place rocks and i'll definitely be coming back the next time I'm in Baltimore!!

• Visited February 2013