“Veggie options!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Baltimore, Maryland
“Veggie options!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I LOVE THIS PLACE! I am a vegetarian and was super pleased to find they have DELICIOUS veggie options. They do not do your run-of-the-mill grilled portabello mushroom sandwich crap most restaurants do as the veggie option. They have creative, and super tasty offerings and the atmosphere is awesome as well. They have meat for meat eaters, and most importantly BREAKFAST ALL DAY LONG!

Arvada, Co, Usa
“Why do people like this place?”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Came here with a group while in Baltimore on business. Service was slow and mildly rude. Waiter didn't know the menu well or much about what they had behind the bar. Seemed to feel it was an imposition when we had questions. Needs to get out of the service industry. He got our orders wrong and argued with us about how we were complicated and didn't know how to order. We had the guac, tots and brussels sprouts as appetizers. The guac ingredients were fresh, but uninspired. Find some cilantro, lime a little oregano and some jalapenos or serranos to go in there. Would like to have tried the tots with green chile like we ordered, but the waiter disagreed that we ordered it in a way he could understand and didn't correct. The chile-less tots rivaled what I can make in a toaster oven at work in 3 minutes-bleckh! The sprouts were fantastic and if you have the misfortune of being subjected to the service here, for sure get the sprouts. I ordered the Carne Polenta as an entre. The Carne is seasoned slow-cooked shredded beef. The waiter calls it 'sliced steak'. The dish was fine. Again very little creativity, but not bad. I hope they realize it is not illegal to season polenta. The salad was wilted (they were once nice greens, a few days agoe when they last saw water) and the balsamic dressing was run-of-the-mill (i think bottled). The only thing that was 'bad' were the tots. The only nice surprise were the brussels-sprouts. The service was unaccpetable. Oh, and the cake we ordered for dessert was stale...

1 Thank aghadden
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not much to affirm”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I worked half a mile from GWC for six years, and went several times with fellow staff. Unlike most places I have been, the service was better when the place was loud and crazy. When I went for a late lunch it was as if everyone was too bugged out to care.

Key West, Florida
“Great pint, great burrito”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Everything here was wonderful, from the brussel sprout appetizer (I know, but be brave and try it, totally worth it), to the aztec burrito (fried plantains). So many delicious sounding options on the menu I was really stumped when trying to pick a meal. The draft beer was skillfully poured.

1 Thank Cfirestone
Washington DC
“Fun and delicious!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

A friend and I were in Hampden to visit Lovely Yarns and asked for a lunch recommendation. (Yarn shop owners always know the places to go for good food!) We were directed to Golden West, which we had passed on our way to the shop. By the time we got there, the long line outside had evaporated but we still had a 20 minute wait, during which we shopped a bit. The wait was well worth it. Golden West reminded me of the some of the hip restaurants in Portland OR and had a similar vibe. There were plenty of tables of young folks as well as families. You can tell this is a neighborhood hot spot. On to the menu, much of it having a southwestern theme. We opted for brunch items, a great choice. The Hopi pancake was (I think), blue corn, blueberries(?) and topped with creme fraiche--absolutely yummy. One was enough for a single serving for us. We also enjoyed the breakfast polenta--a combo of chorizo (different choices available--tofu sausage, bacon etc.). salsa fresca, chili sauce, tortilla and fried eggs served with a firm polenta slice. Wow! A bit spicy and delicious. Service was friendly and efficient. The only down side--and it's minor--is that the noise level is a bit energetic, making it a bit difficult to hear our conversation. However that will not keep us from returning on our next trip to Hampden to explore more menu choices. This is my favorite type of restaurant experience, that is, when I go in not knowing what to expect and have a terrific meal with unusual food that I wouldn't cook at home.

1 Thank ReneeWashingtonDC