“Under new management, and not for the better”
Review of Happy Day Diner - CLOSED

Happy Day Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 20, 2012

This used to be a Double T Diner, but now it has a big sign showing the new name: Happy Day Diner.

I was hoping it would be a change for the better, but--incredibly--it's actually worse. Honestly, during the entire meal I was thinking about that TV show, Restaurant Impossible. This is the Before scene, when Chef Robert Irvine orders one of everything, and it's truly horrible.

In our case, we ordered a Reuben, with fries. The "meat" in the Reuben was leathery and stringy. Really, if you found a package of that old dried out stuff in the back of your refrigerator at home, you wouldn't DREAM of serving it to your family. The fries were astonishingly tasteless--like they came from a package of frozen generic-brand fries from the Safeway ... that had been left out for a week too long.

We also ordered a specialty--the Chicken Chesapeake. Supposedly crab on top of chicken breast, with potatoes and broccoli on the side. The broccoli was *SO* frozen that when I took a bite, they GUSHED WATER into my mouth. But the lowlight of the meal was the chicken thing. It comes as a big baked mound--looks like it's been under the over broiler to give the mayonnaise some color. The top of the mound turns out to be some mayonnaise concoction glop that had a crab-kind of taste in it somewhere. The chicken that served as the "base" of the mound was in the form of an overcooked--beyond rubber--slab.

The service was actually quite friendly and personable. But the food would send Chef Robert screaming.

We, uh, won't be back. Well not until Chef Robert works his magic.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

I went here early one morning with some friends and the food upset my stomach. I should have expected it, as I've had bad experiences with Double T in the past.....

Reviewed March 4, 2012

This diner provides good food at a good price. It's roomy and has great, fast service. Huge menu.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Great food, great taste and good portions. I have visited most of the Double T Diners...... espefcially love the one in Annapolis.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Lots and lots of food to eat, for a very small price, food is Greek and excellent, you always need a box to take home food with.