“OMG! Go stuff your face, loosen your belt and leave completely satisfied-this place rocks!”
Review of Blue Moon Cafe

Blue Moon Cafe
Ranked #11 of 2,055 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Whenever my husband and I go out of town, we are always in search of a standout place that would be something you may find on an episode of DDD. I ran across an online video of the DDD episode where Guy had eaten here; watching, I drooled over the unique creations. There was no doubt in our minds, that we would be conquering the menu at The Blue Moon Café during our trip to Baltimore. We arrived on a super cold, rainy Wednesday around 1230pm and found about eight other hungry customers outside under the awning trying to keep dry. Be sure to go inside to sign up on the wait list at the service counter. The place is so tightly packed with nine tables and four seats at the teensy bar, that there is hardly any room for waiting inside. We got very lucky as our wait was no more than 15 minutes; I heard the wait time can be very long on the weekends. When our name was called we were told to take a seat at the bar and that we did, but not easily; a tight squeeze and even tighter when two other patrons were seated beside us. Ordering was tough, as there were so many choices and one’s stomach is only so big. We knew for certain that their biggest seller, the Cap ‘n Crunch French toast, was a must along with the Red Velvet pancakes. We decided to order them as meals and add eggs and meat, along with a side of hash brown potatoes. After seeing Guy chow down on the Frito Pie, I had to add it to my bucket list of foods to try. My husband wanted no part of French toast with nacho toppings, even though he loves Mexican food. Waiting for our order to be prepared we eyed everyone else’s food passing by; it just made us want to add more to our already ridiculously large order for two. The food arrived beautifully presented, which was I was not expecting. The red velvet pancakes with a generous dollop of sweet cream cheese sauce were topped with fresh fruit and real homemade whipped cream; nothing from a tub or can. Picture yourself eating a red velvet cupcake in pancake form, with the bonus of fruit and whipped cream. The pancakes were the perfect texture, moist and the sweet cream cheese sauce pushed these over the top. The Cap ‘n Crunch French toast was almost too pretty to eat. Sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar, topped with that super delicious whipped cream and beautiful fruit, this was an absolute hit for me. Onto the Frito Pie…OMG! Who would have thought that French toast dipped in taco shell flavored batter, coated in crushed Fritos, grilled and then topped with better than average nacho goodies would be so deliciously out of this world good. My husband, who thought savory French toast sounded gross, couldn’t keep his fork away from this dish. It had a little bit of a kick to it and all flavors including the French toast, perfectly complimented each other. The sausage patties had the appearance of hand shaped and the bacon thick and chewy; definitely tasted like good quality stuff. The only disappointment were the hash browns; cooked to a perfect brown crispy coating, but very bland, almost tasting like real potatoes and instant potatoes mixed with no salt or pepper. We did our best to eat as much as we could and still walk out comfortably. We boxed up the remainders and were able to eat two more times. It’s best to eat the Frito Pie in house, as it wasn’t as great the next day, but the pancakes and French toast were almost as good as the initial sampling. Our waitress was friendly and attentive and easily answered our questions about menu items and ingredients. We found the prices very reasonable, all of the above for $48. My advice is to get in your car and drive, no matter how far, to The Blue Moon Café. If there’s a wait, don’t fret, the people are in and out. Our whole experience from arrival to departure was about an hour and 10 minutes. Stuff your face and enjoy every sinful bite, you may have to loosen your belt, but trust me you won’t be disappointed! We will be back!

2  Thank kribbean
There are newer reviews for Blue Moon Cafe

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and 8 month old son had breakfast here on a chilly Monday. We waited about 20 mins. They even had a high chair for my son which of course I appreciated instead of him sitting on my lap the entire time. My husband and I shared a cinnamon roll, the 2 specials captain cruch french toast, and sweet baby jesus. The french toast was delicious with fruit and whipped cream on top. Sweet baby jesus was huge with hash browns, eggs, lump crab meat, cheese, and hollandaise sauce. We were stuffed along with 2 cups of coffee. Everything came out to be $40.00. Completely worth it for an excellent delicious breakfast!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

es, it's a small space. Yes, there's a wait. and YES it's worth it ! Our party of 4 waited about an hour to be seated one brisk March Sunday morning to try the "Best Baltimore Breakfast".
The café is so small with little wait space inside, so we waited outside. It's even tricky to get in to put your name on the list. One by one, the hostess, called outside for the next group on the list. After an hour wait, the hot coffee hit the spot !!! The wait staff is very casual and engaging and we had great service that morning. The menu has lots of variety but they are known for the Captain Crunch French Toast. Why wait an hour for eggs, so my husband ordered the CC French Toast. It was delicious, topped with fresh fruit that perfectly balanced the "crunch". The omelet was wonderful, eggs perfectly cooked and very nice hash browns. The hot cinnamon roll was huge, delicious and a good "share" for our 4. It was unanimous : We had a delicious breakfast and enjoyed every bite!!! We won't wait for a blue moon to return..

Reviewed March 17, 2014

After we read reviews about Blue Moon we wanted to see what the hype was about. We put our name on the list around 9:15 on a Saturday Morning and our wait was 1 hour 45 minutes. It was a little chilly waiting outside but we talked to people and did people watching so the time went by fast. The actual wait time was about an hour since many people left. The hostess did a great job getting people seated and keeping us calm (from hunger and smelling the good food)! The place is exactly as it states a very small place with close tables and unique food. You have to shut the door when you come and go b/c of the cold and other diners. It has that busy rushing feel like you better move out of the way b/c food is always being delievered. If this is not for you then don't go you won't like it. People were annoyed to wait outside and insisted on being inside when clearly there isn't room and you were standing over others eating which I thought was rude because they waited long for their table and you should too or go some where else. It was something to try and I am really glad we did since the food was great and the place interesting. Would I wait that long next time since I've already been probably not but if you are visiting the area you should go to experience it but be prepared to WAIT!

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Friends from Baltimore showed us this tiny breakfast spot on an out-of-the-way street in Fells Point. We got there at 1:30 on a Sunday. The place holds maybe ten tables max and has no indoor area for waiting, so we did have to wait outside for an hour before a table became available. During some of that time we were able to walk around Fells Point, which is a bustling waterfront area with tons of shops, bars, and cobblestone streets.
Once we were seated at the bar inside Blue Moon Cafe, our server quickly got us coffees and waters and kept the refills coming during the meal. We ordered from the specials: homemade biscuit and raspberry jam (amazing), Irish whiskey pancakes, Cap'n Crunch French toast and "sweet baby Jesus," which is what I had. I ate about a third of this heavenly dish of hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, cheddar, lump crab, tomatoes, old bay, and hollandaise before I was too full to continue. I also tried the French toast, which was also amazing--it came piled with fruit and this homemade vanilla cream.
Our server was funny and attentive and I can't say enough about how good the food was. The only downside was the hour waiting outside. This place would make a killing if they moved to a larger space or added seating upstairs in the existing space. This place is a definite must do if you're ever in Baltimore.