“I didn't even poop in my pants afterwards”

Jong Kak Restaurant
Ranked #473 of 2,006 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Barbecue, Asian, Korean
Good for: Families with children
Baltimore, Maryland
“I didn't even poop in my pants afterwards”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

This place is awesome! I split a combo with 4 of my friends and it was more than enough for all of us. The food is great and its very easy to stuff yourself to the point of agony. I thought for sure I was gonna poop in my pants on the ride home but I made it home just in time. I've also been to a similar resturant, Honey Pig which is very good as well but I think the quality of meat is better at jong kak.

• Visited October 2013

Ringoes, New Jersey
“This restaurant is the same as Jong Kak”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Excellent authentic Korean BBQ with great side dishes.
Tripadvisor - Please combine the two listings.

Visited October 2013
Ringoes, New Jersey
“A Late Night Treasure - Great charcoal-grilled Korean BBQ”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

In a city that goes to bed fairly early, this is a restaurant that opens until 4 am every day.
The BBQ - We ordered Combo #1, which had brisket (bulgogi), sirloin (kalbi), spciy pork and spicy chicken. The 1/2 order, which is intended for 2-3 people, was large enough for 4 of us very hungry peope. It was cooked at our table on real wood charcoal by a single waitress, who served the entire restaurant very efficiently. She came by to watch the meats being grilled and removed the cooked meats promptly to avoid overcooking. Interestly, she adjusted the charcoal fire by blowing air into the grill from under the table with a hair-dryer. The meats were nicely marinated, not overly sweet like many places. The bulgogi was well-marbled, and the spicy pork and chicken had a nice kick to them.
The side dishes - A nice assorted of pickled and marinated veggies, including the usual napa cabbage kimchi, bean sprouts, carrots, broccoli, onion, but also eggplant and mung bean noodles. We also ordered cold buckwheat noodle soup to go with the hot BBQ, which really hit the spot. The noodles were done "al dente".
Service - as mentioned, a very efficient and attentive one-woman show. When one of my friends complained about the heat, a fan was promptly brought over.
The tab - $120 for 4, including many beers and tip.
The restaurant itself is plain, nothing much to write home about, except that the ventillation system is actually better than that in many Korean BBQ places, and you don't smell smoky coming out of there. The restaurant is located in the Station North neighbor, but don't let the neighbor hood deter you. A cab ride there cost $15.

• Visited October 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent Korean BBQ, best in Baltimore”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The Good: I have had Korean in various parts of the country and this place is great and very reasonably priced. A feast for four for $80 tip included.. I have been going here regularly for years with both my family for dinner and with business associates for lunch. Our meal is always excellent. We typically have the BBQ and the kids love the spicy pork and chicken. My wife loves the vegetarian bi bim bap. I saw a comment that they dont have vegetarian but I am not really sure if they noticed all items on the menu. Another thing that's novel about this place is that the BBQ is with actual wood/coals. I have never seen that before in a Korean BBQ

The Warning: this place is in a somewhat seedy feeling part of town and is a bit grimy. That doesn't really bother me as long as the food and service is good but you will likely have the feeling of "what are we doing here" when you park and walk in. Once the service and food comes that all melts away and you will have a great meal.

• Visited August 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Korean Food”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This place is essentially the same as the next-door Nak Won. The food at both places is really good, I just happen to always have gone to Nak Won in groups due to the excellent deal that is the Korean BBQ.
Joung Kak, however, has really good food if you want something from the menu that isn't BBQ, and has even more ridiculously late hours than Nak Won.
I came here on more than one occasion after hours.
Neighborhood is super sketchy, be careful.

• Visited June 2012