“Don't be misled by the name”

Tio Pepe Restaurant
Ranked #65 of 2,064 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is one of the finest restaurants in North America. This is not a mexican restaurant. The menu is continental with a heavy emphasis on fresh fish and seafood. If you are visiting Baltimore, do yourself a favor and run to Tio Pepe. Last night, I had the shrimp & scallops in champaign sauce. My wife had grouper in an almondine sauce. Perfection! Service is impeccable.

1  Thank Judgedml

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was a weekly regular at Tio Pepe for years and loved every visit. On my last few visits it was sad to see a long time friend become so old and worn down. It still holds an emotional place in my heart but the food has lost it's appeal. Copious amounts of sauce top most fish entrees. The paella proved to be dry. The veal tenderloin with foie gras and truffle sauce, which used to be my favorite, has long lost it's finesse. Just globs of the cross-used menu item of champagne sauce dotted with what was supposed to be truffle pieces. I will return for memory's sake and order a pitcher of sangria, a special hot appetizer and a Spanish coffee. If you are not a "regular" be prepared to wait a long time for your table, especially on a Saturday night.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

...and ordered the wrong thing, but I expected so much more from this restaurant. Modt of the reviews were glowing, but the sucking pig was just okay, the seafood soup with pernod was too oily abd disgusting, the bread could have come from my local Giant grocery store, the white sangria was too strong ( the red was great though). The pine nut torte dessert saved the day though. Positives- great atmosphere, friendly servers, ALOT of food! Negatives- food just wasn't that great, place was packed and tables very close together. O would go again though- try oit the Parlla and maybe the whole roasted chicken. I just hate ordering chicken when I eat out, seems like a wasted opportunity.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had reservation for 9p tonight (Saturday) and we were seated at......950p....just as bad, the garage across the street closes at 11, so with only a main course we barely made it out ahead of the 11p witching hour. The food remains very good but what's the point of making a reservation if you wait nearly an additional hour??

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I made reservation for 2, months in advance for special occasion. A Sat night and very busy. I would not have been upset by half hour wait. I kept checking with staff, to be told over and over, just a few more minutes. Time went by and people just arriving were being seated. I would have left but I hated to spoil the big night. We only got a table after I became very insistent. Then the wait staff was surly and slow. Used to be my go to place for big occasions, but I do know plan to return. The food was quite good, but I hate eating that late.

1  Thank travelhoundMaryland