“NOT WHAT IT ONCE WAS, BUT STILL CONSISTENT”

Tio Pepe Restaurant
Ranked #70 of 2,075 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We first patronized Tio Pepe's in the 1980's. It was the "Toast of the Town;" you could not get a table without knowing somebody on the staff, it had consistently rave reviews, and once you were there you were treated to an evening of the finest Spanish culinary delights from the kitchen of Angel Sanz, a legend in his time. Thirty years later, we returned for what we hope was the grandeur of this establishment's illustrious history in Downtown Baltimore. We started with what he hoped would be a nostalgic experience with their famed shellfish appetizers. I regret to report, however, that they are sadly a thing of the past. The mussels in marinara sauce had an overly thick texture and were served cold; all of the chain restaurants today know how to serve a more delectable mussel dish. It's a shame that the Spaniards have dominated this expertise for so long, but now have been sadly left behind. The shrmp in garlic sauce is the same recipe of 30 years ago - good but hopelessly out-dated - besides, it never was a really authentic Spanish garlic-shrimp recipe, just something invented by the chef, and which should have passed away with him. The main courses were still very good, in particular the grouper; however, it should forget about doing anything with tilapia, since it's something akin to catfish, and does not really even belong on the menu of a Spanish restaurant.

1  Thank BRHS1970

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I went to this restaurant on my birthday, January 7th, 2013. The experience was wonderful, I love everything about this place. It is so private and the decor is surprisingly suitable for this basement restaurant. I had the oysters and crab meat in the champagne sauce for my appetizer. it was out of this world. Yummy. Main course was the rock fish stuffed with crab meat, need I say more? Absolutely Amazingly Delicious. Oh yeah and let me not forget the pitcher of sangria that was also refreshingly delicious. I cant wait to go back to this place!!!!

1  Thank Paulajillian
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been dining at Tio Pepe since it opened in the early 1970's. The food is excellent and consistently prepared. Never have to worry that the service is going to be off or that the quality and taste of the food is going to be less than outstanding. We go for dinner about 4 times a year and enjoy it immensely. Reservations are a must because the restaurant is always crowded (attesting to its high quality). Be prepared to spend about $120.00 per couple (includes a drink, sangria, appetizer, desert, and coffee as well as tip) and you'll most probably leave with a doggie bag with next day's lunch. My favorites are: red sangria; appetizers: snails in garlic sauce; Mediterranean Sea Food cocktail. Soup: Black bean soup. Main course: Medallions of veal; beef tournedos; rack of lamb; Tenderloin with Bearnaise sauce. Desert: Flan; pine nut cake. Everything else on the menu is just as excellent, but these are my personal favorites.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Sounds weird right? i know! But the desserts here are amazing. they have a coat and tie dress code, but they will bend if they think you will pay some money for the food...because it is EXPENSIVE! It's not on the menu, but I recommend the fish in a bag.

1  Thank breaksguy
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The paella was even better than some of that I had in Spain- not just rice, lots of seafood and other meats. The white sangria was delicious as well. I would definitely go back!