“Still among the best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tio Pepe Restaurant

Tio Pepe Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 1,999 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Baltimore, Maryland
“Still among the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I have not been here in ages! But they still have all the old favorites. On a Saturday evening, the bar is crowded but we are soon shown to our table set for our party of 10. The dining room is definitely showing its age and the table is quite crowded. Patrons are really packed in! The classic shrimp in garlic sauce is great, but the shrimp are a little overdone for my taste. I really enjoyed the grouper in parchment, accompanied by shellfish in a tasty sauce. It is "off the menu"' as are many choices here. The tournedos seem a bit retro but again are excellent! Finished dinner off with the Pine Nut roll, another Tio Pepe classic done as good as ever. White and red Sangria as good as ever. I was very impressed that Tio's is still doing the same menu items as 30 (or more) years ago and they are still great! I need to come here more often!

1 Thank Knotoncall2

“ALWAYS A TREAT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Following an excellent Beethoven concert with the Baltimore Symphony we returned to one of our favorite restaurants. We ordered a half pitcher of red Sangria as our waiter brought the wonderful fresh bread, Having dined there countless times we knew of the size of the portions. So, we began by sharing a bowl of black bean soup, topped with rice and chopped onions. Then came one order of "fish in a bag" - a large filet of Chilean sea bass covered with fresh shrimp and cooked with a delicious sauce in parchment paper. When served with fresh green beans and sautéed squash and carrots there was still more than we could eat. By saving some food for take home we managed to have room for our favorite dessert - pine nut cake. Another dinner to remember.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Carolyn S
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great staff, Classy. Pretty normal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Tio Pepe's features an incredibly skilled, spanish-speaking wait staff. Super expensive though, and, in the face of a 30-dollar meal (with parents after my graduation - I could never afford such things), I found my college student's mind wishing that we could have had a more exotic meal somewhere for about half the price.
I lived in Thailand for 6 months, so I find European food pretty plain, but all the same it is good and solid.
That being said, this is definitely an extremely classy place - a lot of older folks come here after the symphony or theater or what have you. I love the low-key location as well.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Baltimore
“Classic, but just that, classic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The dishes were all amazingly tasty but I couldn't help but notice they all had butter or cheese on them. The food was really tasty and the prices were fair for the type of fare. Portions were very large and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. Just don't expect to find much on the menu that is healthy and delicious or innovative for that matter.

Visited June 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a good meal although a tad pricy. It's a basement place and some of the seating and the nooks and crannies are a bit odd---but I supose it makes it unique

Visited January 2012