“Oh dear”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This great Baltimore institution with terrific Thai food and impeccable service lost out tonight because we had not one, but two roaches make an appearance on the ledge next to our table. The waiter graciously dispatched them, but the whole experience really brought down the evening.

There are newer reviews for Thai Restaurant

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This restaurant was the first Thai Restaurant in Baltimore and has been around for decades, hence the name. The original owner is there and is very nice. The specials of the weeknight sounded wonderful and included honey-roasted 1/2 dick and whole fish, but I eat vegetarian. For my first visit I tried one of the usual Thai restaurant standbys, drunken noodles (with tofu). It, of course, can be ordered with shrimp or chicken, although it is strictly a chicken dish back in Bangkok. It was done well and had a hint a that smokey flavor that characterizes good drunken noodles. It could have had a bit more,but the quality was definitely above average. It will definitely return to try other dishes. Service was very, very good and fast. The neighborhood was, as they say in Baltimore, 'dicey'. It is tempered somewhat by its proximity to The Johns Hopkins U. and the occasional student who is looking for a good meal.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

"Yes, I really DO want it that spicy!" My assertion often goes unheeded at restaurants, as the waitstaff patronizes me by reducing my "5" spice request to a "3" level - presumably to avoid complaints and regrets. Not so here. I receive my customary warning, then the Thai Restaurant delivers excellent food, wisely portioned, and spiced to perfection. On my last visit, my companion asked for "0" spice (oh, how sad!) and also received just that.

The Thai Restaurant would be bypassed by many, as it is located on a somewhat dicey strip of Greenmount Avenue that smacks of pawn shops, greasy carry-outs, and liquor stores. But go ahead - park that car! There's a small free lot in the rear, with a back entry. (Find it by turning before the library on 33rd Street.) Step inside to a warm and inviting environment with a small bar and more space than seems likely from looking at the front. Friendly and professional waitstaff will advise you on the menu, serve you solicitously, and encourage you to try the amazing desserts. After a wonderful meal ordered from a menu with plentiful vegetarian options, I didn't think I would say yes. But fried bananas captivated me - no, they are not like fried plantains - and when paired a la mode with pumpkin ice cream it was an incredible dessert! Go hungry and be willing to loosen your belt. So worth it!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Don't expect a thriving loud restaurant, chances are you won't meet many other patrons during your visit... but all the better for you!
We enjoyed a wonderful whole rock fish and beef curry. If the house made dumplings are available, they were great.

Our waiter was just fantastic, old school full service. Might be a few dollars more than other places, but truly worth it.
Parking is easy, the neighborhood a bit rough. The location is just odd for this fantastic restaurant.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I lived in Thailand for six months, and so am picky with my Thai food. That being said, Thai restaurant is a solid choice, though it does gall me a bit that it is definitely more pricey than the others (because it tries to be more fancy) and not quite as good as others, like Thai Arroy downtown. However, it's definitely not a bad choice.

The guy resisted my efforts to speak to him in Thai.