“Pleasant surprise”
Review of Roy's Baltimore

Roy's Baltimore
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's Baltimore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 2,108 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: President Street
Transit: MTA bus stop a half block away. Charm City Circulator stops across the street. We also offer our own complimentary shuttle to & from all city centers & hotels
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had reservations at 7:15 and were seated promptly. My husband ordered the Parmesan encrusted sea bass and said it was good. My daughter ordered two sushi rolls and they were excellent. I ordered the Roy's Trio (Butterfish, Salmon and Mahi Mahi. It was excellent. The mixed drinks were not watered down. We had the chocolate soufflé for dessert. The food was served quickly and the water glasses were kept full.

Our server was Mike. Very friendly and helpful.

Truthfully I was not expecting all that much from a chain restaurant, but it was convenient to our hotel. I was very pleasantly surprised. Would go back again.

Only problem is that it is VERY loud inside.

Bill not including tip was $111.00.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Roys is a chain, so you get what you expect--big drinks, "island" fare--nothing worth raving about. At the Baltimore location the decibel level is beyond the threshold of pain. If you're not willing to yell at your dinner companions, you might want to go native in an entirely different way and enjoy one of the lovely Italian restaurants just a few blocks awy.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

When searching for dining options in Harbor East for our weekend getaway we were pleased to see Roy's offered a gluten free menu. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. Our waiter was attentive and courteous. Where Roy's fell severely short was in the quality of the food and preparation. Here's where husband and wife disagree slightly, and why we ended up giving Roy's a rating of 3.

From the Mrs...I have a severe gluten allergy and was initially delighted by the options on the GF menu. I ordered the Citrus Salad as a starter, the Shellfish Sampler for dinner, and we split the Hot Chocolate Souffle for dessert. The salad was drowning in dressing and basically inedible. The lobster and shrimp were more than a little over-cooked and extremely rubbery, with the scallops being cooked marginally well, and served as the highlight of an otherwise horrible entree. The pesto risotto was tasteless and unmemorable at best. The much-hyped dessert was only average in reality. When I quietly mentioned my dissatisfaction with the food, it was simply taken away. As we ate, the manager made rounds to several tables, never reaching ours. For these reasons, I would give Roy's a 2 and cannot recommend to anyone.

From the Mr...I started with the salt and pepper crisped calimari. It was delicious and pretty close to best calimari I've ever had. The portion size of the starter was generous and the Malaysian Curry Aioli was fantastic. I had trouble making up my mind for the entree so I opted for Roy's trio which was offered small portions of the followning three dishes: Hibachi Salmon, Macadamia Nut
Crusted Mahi Mahi and Misoyaki Butterfish. The Mahi Mahi was delicious while the salmon was a little overcooked and tasted just average. The butterfish was drowning in and overpowered by the sweet ginger wasabi sauce and was not good at all. I did like the Melting Hot Chocolate Soufflé a little better than my wife did and thought it was pretty good.

Considering how excited my wife was for the gluten free options, the price we paid and inconsistency at this particular Roy's that night, I would have prefered to have gone elsewhere.

1  Thank Paul and Amanda L
Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roy's Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Paul and Amanda,

We know how challenging dining out with a severe gluten allergy is and we're sorry that your experience with us disappointed you. Your server should have alerted a manager when you mentioned your dissatisfaction.

Our managing partner would love to speak to you about both your experiences. My contact email is jlee@roysrestaurant.com. What is the best way to reach you?
Again, we are sorry for disappointing you both and look forward to speaking with you.

Best wishes, Jeannie Lee @ Roy's

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Roy's took special care to make a special occasion birthday dinner EXTRA SPECIAL. I've never been to a restaurant that went so above and beyond to help celebrate! Unfortunately, we didn't think to get reservations until the day of and the first available slot was 9 pm. Even though we showed up early (around 8:15), it was still over an hour before we were seated. Despite the long wait, I have to say the food is worth it (really liked the scallops) and the staff went above and beyond to make mom's birthday special. They gave her a special placard and ribbons on the table. The meal ended with a special dessert and a picture of us that fit into the placard. The staff at the bar helped us pass the time. Although the bar seemed too noisy for us to have our meal, the dining room is not as noisy and has a very nice atmosphere.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Roy's Baltimore has quickly become one of our favorite places to eat. More and more places are accommodating those of us who are gluten free, but few restaurants have done it as well and with as much diversity in the menu. Aside from this amazing achievement, Roy's offers a phenomenal menu and excellent service at fair prices. Remember to make a reservation to avoid having to wait during peak hours.