“Unfortunately Good”

Cross street: Broadway
baltimore, md
“Unfortunately Good”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had eaten at Louisiana several years ago. As I recall it was very unexceptional. We decided to give it another try. We tried to make reservations over the weekend, but it was completely booked. Good sign, I thought...
We ended up going on a Tuesday. Upon walking in, you will see it is a beautiful space! The also have a tripadvisor best for "parties". Again all very positive signs. But we quickly realized that the two people at the front of house are the only two to handle the bar, calls, hostess, waiting, and busing. There were about six tables occupied for these two individuals.
Needless to say the wait was LONG. For the two of us with aps and entree it took an hour and a half. Not how I was expecting to spend my evening.
The food is unfortunately good. The type that if you only remember your meal would have you come back. The sauces and flavors are well done. Overall very satisfying and somewhat memorable.Kudos to the kitchen.
The food does not outweigh the experience though. I hope that the next time we think about visiting I reread my review. At that point I would select another restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank scottnr

Baltimore, Maryland
“Much better than it gets credit for”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

First of all, the interior of this restaurant is worth the time of going right off the bat. The amount of money, work and thought that went into the design and execution of that design I cannot even fathom. It is absolutely stunning inside, with intricate and beautiful details everywhere. I'm sure it is the perfect place to have an event and it is massive inside.

We were greeted promptly by the hostess/bartender/coat check/backup waitress. Service throughout the night was a bit slow - but that's because they had two servers and one bus boy handling the whole restaurant. The service itself was excellent, very friendly and helpful, but you can only expect so much from two people handling 12 tables. They need at least one more server and to let the hostess/bartender run her end of things up front.

That being said, we weren't in a rush and didn't mind too much taking our time. The food was excellent and came with very generous portions for the prices. The gumbo was very tasty with a great spice to it and a nice variety of seafood. The smoked duck salad was very good and had a very generous portion of duck. The catfish was truly excellent - not a lot of places know how to properly cook catfish but the knocked it out of the park.

All in all we would definitely go back and I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a nice night out.

• Visited March 2013
“SLOOOW”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently purchased three Groupons for Louisiana Restaurant. The first time we went, it took a very long time to get our meals and the couple next to us saw cockroaches. We gave the place the benefit of the doubt until I went back the other day with my family. My sister found hair in her shrimp and grits and on this visit I too noticed cockroaches crawling on the wall behind my sister's head. The restaurant had one waitress (Wednesday night) and it took a total of three hours to serve us food with hair in it. The food was the only thing that was good about this place. Service was very slow. I called groupon to get a refund for my unused coupon and they reimbursed me right away. I will not be returning.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank irongirl13
“Food is the only plus”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I went here for restaurant week. We pulled up to valet the car and no one was there. My husband had to sit outside in the car while I ran in to get someone. Stood at the front desk for well over 5 minutes before I was even acknowledged by a hostess. Valet shows up and parks car. Hostess says maybe 2 words as she seats us. We sat for over 10 minutes before a server even approached our table. Placed drink order. Waited 15 minutes for that. Our server had ZERO personality. Must be a requirement because no one looked happy to be working there. A couple that came in 20 minutes or so after us got their food before we did. Apps were good. I had the escargot and my husband had the caprese. I loved my main course which was the shrimp and grits. Husband got the salmon and wasn't super impressed by it. The bread pudding is excellent but the creme brûlée was average. Server did not approach the table in between courses at all. Then after 20 minutes sitting with empty plates in front of us we had to ask for our check. Horrible wait staff and zero personality will keep us away for good. Oh and if you valet you car, the keys all sit on a table in the front of the restaurant. Not cool. The only reason I gave this place 3 stars is because my food was good and the restaurant itself is impressive. If you want good service and a friendly staff, stay away.

• Visited January 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful Shrimp and Grits...”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Interesting decor on the inside of this deceivingly enormous restaurant. I didn't care for the caesar salad....everything else was impressive. The shrimp and grits was splendid and so was the bread pudding. Server was friendly... With cooking of this calibre, I was very surprised how empty the restaurant was... Will return for sure.

• Visited January 2013