“Solid Place to eat and drink” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mama's on the Half Shell

Mama's on the Half Shell
Ranked #17 of 1,999 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canton
Description: In 2003, we opened Mama's on the Half Shell. Our opening day was the realization of five years of dreaming, discussing and collecting. As native "Baltimoreans," we felt Baltimore lacked a real seafood restaurant. Because of our love for the restaurant business, our favorite pastime is to dine out, but we struggled to find the real taste of Baltimore seafood. We missed the classics, the ones that we could count on as kids, such as Connely's & Hausner's, the one we would visit with friends from out of town who say "take us to a real Baltimore seafood house." We missed that and wanted to bring it back. That's why we created Mama's on the Half Shell. Our menu is the most important part of our restaurant, but we also want our guests to come in and feel comfortable for any occasion: bringing in a client, Sunday football, a birthday, anniversary or just some time out. It's a great place to visit after a day on the water and it's also remembered by some as the place where they got engaged. Our restaurant is a place that you could "bring it or bring it down." There is really no average age at Mama's on the Half Shell which leads us to believe this truly is a Baltimore classic for food and celebration. For a good start to a classic Baltimore meal at Mama's, order a fried crab cake with mustard and our famous Orange Crush. Have a seat at the raw bar and just drift back into your best Baltimore memory, hon! It is our hope that when you are with us you feel you are welcomed into our home with open arms.
Maryland, USA
“Solid Place to eat and drink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Casual and laid back serving up good food, good service, seafood is fresh, all around solid place any day of the week for a good meal, or great sandwich. Nice outdoor seating as well.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
“A wonderful spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I met long-time friends there for dinner that I hadn't seen in several years and although we spent a couple hours talking after we finished dinner, we were never hurried or made to feel guilty about staying longer.

The food was fantastic and the old building charming.

Reservations are definitely recommended. It was quite crowded when we arrived on a Thursday evening (we had reservations).

Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I HATED IT and will NEVER return again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'll make this short n sweet . We called earlier Saturday afternoon to let them know a party of 7 was coming at 6pm. They said if we arrived at 6pm we could be setted in 30mins. We get there and they say it'll be a 2 1/2 hr wait. We wait patiently at another bar til our time was up.when we went back we had to wait another 20 mins to Even check in with the hostess who then told us it'll be another 15-20 mins and we waited patiently we never have attitude or anything and the nastiness came about from the staff. 1st the waitress bumped into one of us repeatedly and never excused her self not once and we the person said " wow she could've said excuse me" the waitress left her station to get in that persons face and tell her " well this is my working space " and then walked off.WOW is all I could say . Then the bartender rudely walk up to 2 more of us and yelled "move away from the table " about 3x. They moved but I guess not enough because he then went behind one of the girls n push her away from the table. That was the last straw. We asked the hostess to speak with a manager and she ignored us the first time. We asked again she said ok ... We then went outside to wait for him to express or concerns and he came out with a nasty attitude as well. He pretty much had the attitude of who cares leave. We explained what happened and he never apologized for his staff or the wait not once then told us to leave. I've never been to a restaurant in my life where I was treated like this and the manager was ok with it. I would never recommend this place to my worst enemy EVER.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Shashawn
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Mama's has awesome crabcakes and the seafood melt is amazing. Try a cup of crab soup or the creamy seafood bisque. The prices are not bad for authentic Maryland seafood.

• Visited March 2013
Bradenton, Florida
“OK, my second review of this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

It is STILL great. Seriously, Canton is so cool and this place is the coolest place to eat in Canton. Service is great and friendly, the food is outstanding and the atmosphere varies between the hussle of the downstairs bar and eating area to the more quiet (not really on Friday and Saturday nights, always) area upstairs. Loved it, will return again when I visit Bmore again. One of my favorites in the country. The staff is lovely and pleasant.

• Visited March 2013