“Great potential”

Mama's on the Half Shell
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's on the Half Shell is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 2,105 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Neighborhood: Canton
Description: In 2003, we opened Mama's on the Half Shell. Our opening day was the realization of five years of dreaming, discussing and collecting. As native "Baltimoreans," we felt Baltimore lacked a real seafood restaurant. Because of our love for the restaurant business, our favorite pastime is to dine out, but we struggled to find the real taste of Baltimore seafood. We missed the classics, the ones that we could count on as kids, such as Connely's & Hausner's, the one we would visit with friends from out of town who say "take us to a real Baltimore seafood house." We missed that and wanted to bring it back. That's why we created Mama's on the Half Shell. Our menu is the most important part of our restaurant, but we also want our guests to come in and feel comfortable for any occasion: bringing in a client, Sunday football, a birthday, anniversary or just some time out. It's a great place to visit after a day on the water and it's also remembered by some as the place where they got engaged. Our restaurant is a place that you could "bring it or bring it down." There is really no average age at Mama's on the Half Shell which leads us to believe this truly is a Baltimore classic for food and celebration. For a good start to a classic Baltimore meal at Mama's, order a fried crab cake with mustard and our famous Orange Crush. Have a seat at the raw bar and just drift back into your best Baltimore memory, hon! It is our hope that when you are with us you feel you are welcomed into our home with open arms.
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I liked everything about this restaurant from the ceaser salad to the French onion soup. I ordered the crab cake and I got a stale roll so that ruined it for me. It is likely I'd go back and try something else on the menu-- looked like a lot of things worth trying... But how are you a Baltimore restaurant and you don't serve Natty Boh?!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The portions are huge - big enough to split between at least two people. The graham cracker coating really makes a difference. It's a MUST have.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Ended up not eating there the day we went. We were waiting for a friend who was parking her car - a challenge in that neighborhood. We asked if we could be seated - it was mid afternoon - plenty of seats available. They stated they could not as it was against their policy.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I heard Mama's was the real deal so I went there with my brother and sister in law and it was just a great time. I sat in the bar until they got there, the bartender was quick and friendly. The crowd was outgoing, got in to a conversation with several people about John Daly, drinking and the house special, the Orange Crush. The hostess was super sweet and worked with us since my brother was late. We got seated and Heather served us our beers in a jiffy. We ordered 2 dozen oysters, blue points, Rapahannocks and Chincoteagues and they were superb, slightly briney, with a delicious amount of liquor. We ordered cod cakes as another app and they were good as well. We all ordered the Classic combo with a crab cake, fried shrimp, fried oyster, fried fish and sides of mashed potatoes and a cuke/tomato salad. The crab cake was a bit small but it was delicious, very nice. The fried shrimp and oyster (singular) were good but could have used more. The fish was only ok, it was a trifle over cooked but not terribly so. The sides were all good, not great, but good.
The service was a bit hectic, but friendly. The place was rocking so I was ok with that. The bar is a classic, been there forever but it looks to be in pretty good shape.
Definitely a place I want to return to, soon!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is both down-to-earth, and state of the art. Great oysters. Feels homey, and sophisticated. I wanted something that felt like Baltimore, and we got advice to come here. It had great crabcakes, fresh oysters, and it was fantastic. This made us feel like we experienced a part of Baltimore that was unique to it.