“Spare ribs-n-beef”

Chaps Charcoal Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 2,006 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Seattle, Washington
“Spare ribs-n-beef”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Excellent spare ribs and beef sandwich. The hickory sauce is excellent. It is located in the parking lot of a strip club. We arrived about 20 minutes before sun down and felt safe the entire time.

Mattoon
“Great Pit Beef & Atmosphere”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This pit beef place is located in the parking lot of a strip club. I went during the day, so it was very safe. This place has been featured on TV.

I don't think you can go wrong with ordering anything from here.

Baltimore, Maryland
“huge portions, great prices, pure east Baltimore”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Chaps Pit Beef is for sure one of the best lunch spots in the city. Every sandwich hovers around $8-$9, but the amount of meat you get in each sandwich makes it seem like you should of paid $15-$16.

The restaurant is located next to a Gentlemen's Club but don't let that deter you. When you get there, a line will most likely be out the door. Do not leave the door open to the restaurant, for the cashier person will ask you to keep the door closed at all times. Wait until you can safely fit inside the door and then close it behind you.

The meat: WOW. So juicy, and tender, and just oozing with flavor. Instead of adding spices or anything to the meat, Chaps lets the different meats speak for themselves. Sandwiches usually include 2--3 (or 4!) different types of meat and cheese is optional. My favorite is the Pit Beef or the Corned Beef. Both are really juicy and tender.

The place also has a good selection of sauces. Tiger sauce is their creation: horseradish and mayonnaise. I personally don't like horseradish, but for those who do say it's awesome. They have multiple barbeque options and I usually opt for the House BBQ. I also highly recommend their pickles. Thick slices and they taste perfect in the sandwiches.

Also, there is always enough parking even when the line is long. The staff is friendly and the food comes out pretty fast.

One thing to watch out for: If you want to sit outside, that is great because they have tables outdoors, but don't leave your food unattended because local birds may swoop in and grab some meat from you.

“Average ”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We went there and got ribs, loaded up hotdog, potato salad, coleslaw and pulled pork. Being a Texas BBQ person I had expectations and they really weren't met. I would eat there again but change what I got. The ribs were well below my standards. Sauce was "store bought" in my opinion. Potato salad had to have been pre-made coleslaw was not to bad. The place was across from a gentleman's club which I found comical. Not much seating room but they had a crowd. I have it average because that's where they stand right now. Maybe the next visit will be better.

Annandale, Virginia
“Not quite up to the DDD reputation, but not bad either”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We had an event in Baltimore and decided to specifically seek out lunch here, after watching DDD. As many others have commented.. it's in a funky area, although I didn't feel the least bit unsafe. We stopped about 3pm on a Saturday and the line was out the door. It went quickly, and the woman who took our order was quick and efficient. The other staff in and around the restaurant were all friendly and helpful. We had to wait very little time for two pit beef sandwiches and fries with gravy. Most people seemed to be getting carry out, as there was plenty of table space both inside and out. We sat outside, and were right by the highway.. not as terribly as it sounds, however.

Now for the food... I'll start by saying that the fries with gravy were ok.. nothing to write home about. The gravy was not particularly unique (not that I really expected it to be). The pit beef on the sandwich was medium, as suggested by the woman who took our order. We both added white onion and horse radish to ours. The beef was VERY tender.. I mean really tender.. and it was very good, but it wasn't spectacular. It was just really tender beef.. no particular outstanding flavor, which we did expect given the raves on the show. The bun wasn't too big, which was a bonus.

Overall the restaurant is funky but just what I expect from a pit beef place. The beef was super tender and really was delicious.. just not spectacular. If I lived in Baltimore, I'm sure I'd be a semi frequent customer, but I'd want to try other things, and I'd definitely get other than the fries with gravy for a side.