“The place to go before deploying to/from Afghanistan”
Review of Chaps Pit Beef

Chaps Pit Beef
Ranked #32 of 2,064 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed November 30, 2012

For anyone like me who's transited through BWI and has ~24 hours in Baltimore before leaving for Afghanistan, this is an absolute must. Regardless of whether you're a fan of Man Vs. Food, Guy Fieri or Anthony Bourdain, or pay attention to titles like "Voted Best Sandwich in Baltimore," this is one of those idiosyncracies David Simon cites when praising the great city of Baltimore. Fresh, quality meat cooked with charcoal and served with the best sandwich sauces on the side. Yes, there was a line but it's worth the wait. I couldn't decide which sauce I wanted so I took a little of each and I wasn't disappointed. BBQ sauce? Check. Hot sauce? Check. Tiger sauce? Double check. Run, don't walk, and by no means should you be stingy on the tiger sauce.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Great atmosphere, Great Food. I've been quite a few times, just haven't made the trip lately. Love their pit chicken, AMAZING! ....... and it's in the parking lot of the Gold Club, hahaha, Gotta LOVE Baltimore!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My 50th Bday sandwich stop....YUM..... First let me say that issues about surroundings, scenery, or presentation don't go.....My wife wouldn't allow me to score a five for that. Yet the sandwiches were amazing....Take it from a Philly guy I know a good sandwich and quality meat. I had the pit beef with ham on a soft bun with onions, tiger sauce, and horseradish......OMG....it was sensual.......if I smoked I'd have a cigar afterwards.....The wife had the Raven...she enjoyed it but can you imagine she said it had too much meat....she's not from Philly :)
For the portions the price was right, service was friendly...just wish they had some kinda combo platter so I could try the different meats in one meal....Dreaming....A must go in Bmore...I'll be back...

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was my second visit here and the food was killer again! I went for The Big John this time (turkey, ham, corned beef, pit beef and Italian sausage). It was off the hook. There must be over a pound of meat on the sandwich. Their fixings bar lets you make it any way you want.

Donna was again fabulous and helpful taking orders. She can tell a regular from a newbie. She provides as much assistance as needed to the newbie and lets regulars order efficiently.

As noted in other reviews, it shares the parking lot with a "gentleman's club" but don't let that scare you away. My wife was wondering where I was taking the family, but she knew why we came after the first bite.

I can't tell you about the sides, because I've never messed around with sides. You come for the pit grilled meats not the french fries, etc...

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've been to Chaps Pit Beef 4 times now, and each time has been very satisfying. Take note ahead of time; you're not coming here for the atmosphere. It shares a parking lot with a "gentleman's club," and is right across the street from an adult video store. The interior of the place is also nothing special, but it serves its purpose. That purpose is to deliver stacks of delicious meat to the customer.

On three of my 4 visits, I've opted for the plain old medium rare pit beef sandwiches, and these have been fantastic each time. The beef was cooked to the requested temperature, had a good amount of smokiness, and was extremely tender. Throw some raw onions and the signature tiger sauce on that bad boy, and you're ready to go. On my 4th visit, I tried the "Adam Richwich," named for the host of Man vs. Food who has visited Chaps for the show. This sandwich included beef, turkey, and sausage. I was less impressed with this choice. IT just seemed to me that the sausage overwhelmed the flavor of everything else. Not a bad sandwich, but just not my thing, although the portion was HUGE. The fries have always been good, with or without cheese sauce. The menu has tons of different combinations to try, but I think I'll always drift back to the beef. It seems to be a winner every time.

Again, if you can look past the shady looks of the location and the simple interior of the place, you'll find some good eats worth coming back for.