“Salty Chaos”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I really wanted to like this new restaurant, but the title of this review is really my entire impression after dining here on a recent Saturday night. We were there as a special occasion with someone who knows the owner, which makes it even more astounding that the service and food were so poor. When we entered the dining room, the hostess just kind of pointed us to a table that we had to wander over to on our own. We then waited 10 minutes for a waiter to stop at our table, and that was only because we flagged him down and asked for menus. Service throughout the meal required us to constantly ask for things, despite the waiter occasionally slowing down on his way past and asking "how's everything, guys?" To which we would reply, "Could we get some water?" and then 10 minutes later ""Excuse me, we asked for water?"

We needed constant refills of water because all of our meals were incredibly salty. I had the grilled salmon, which seemed to have spent a sad amount of time under a heat lamp causing it to be dried out and just warm. But the most startling moment was when I took my first bite and actually felt the salt granules on my tongue. I don't know if it was accidentally double-salted in the kitchen or if this is the usual recipe, but I could only eat a few bites -- each with a mouthful of salt. The Chilean Sea Bass was also way over-salted.

I really hope this was just an off night for them, but honestly I have spoken with other friends who have eaten here and their impressions are similar if not as profound. There are much better places to go in Baltimore for Italian food and for a pleasant dining experience.

The best part of the meal was the tiramisu, which we were told was not made on premises, but was delicious.

1  Thank PookyShoehorn

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I agree with all of the rave reviews for this new restaurant in Baltimore. Had dinner there last night with family to celebrate my husband's birthday. Everything was outstanding--service, menu options, food preparation, and atmosphere. Our waiter was very personable and had great recommendations for our dinner selections. Everyone at our table was extremely pleased with the appetizers and entrees. And the dessert menu listed a number of great options, and no one was disappointed with the delicious desserts---and the presentations were awesome! Definitely worth the trip -- easy to find and plenty of street parking. We'll definitely be returning to Marchiondas!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Went with a group and we all love to eat and are very picky when it comes to a good Restaurant. From the moment we got in the door we were all impressed. The restaurant location was well known as Angelina's which had crab cakes to die for but the owner Tony took over and made it into a wonderful fine dining Italian Restaurant. I had the Pork Shank. The desserts were awesome I gad a caramel cake which made me WoW service excellent and nice atmosphere. Check it out

Reviewed November 13, 2013

This place is a gem, the perfect neighborhood spot that's worth a drive if you don't live in the Hamilton/Parkville neighborhood. Marchiondas (located in the old Angelina's space, which has been totally updated) is amazing in every way. Our meal started with a complementary dish of polenta and olives and hot, homemade rolls. The pasta was homemade and the presentation was beautiful. Desserts were flawless and even the coffee was top-notch. Nice atmosphere for a date or a family dinner. Friendly staff, great service... welcome to the neighborhood, Marchionda’s! We can't wait to visit you again!

1  Thank blazegirl
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Despite the staff indicating they were open for lunch, no one was prepared for noon time diners on the day we visited. The service was TERRIBLE! Of course, we were told their one and only waitperson called out that day so I can only assume that person must be the glue to hold the staff together because no one else was functioning. We were given dinner menus. Oops, can't order from the dinner menu. New lunch menus had to be distributed. This is an Italian restaurant and there in not one Italian pasta lunch on the menu - hamburgers, salads, paninis. We did ask if pasta could be served for lunch and we were told yes. From the time we sat down until we got our food it was 75 minutes. IN that time, no bread was served. No drink refills offered. Heck, the person who took our orders pretty much disappeared. When other diners arrived, it was a vendor who went into the kitchen to let them know people were waiting to be seated. Now the food, the pasta with the chicken parm was very good but the chicken was black from being left in a broiler too long. It should not have been served. The fish sandwich was not served until about the 95 minute mark because the "kitchen was having a problem." The other two meals were Ok. The extremely late fish sandwich was deducted from the bill. I would say go only if there is a waiter working that day and you have 2-3 hours to give to lunch.