“Great Mt. Vernon restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of George's-Mount Vernon Square

George's-Mount Vernon Square
Ranked #419 of 1,999 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mount Vernon
Ohio
“Great Mt. Vernon restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Every time I stay at the Wyndham Peabody Court hotel I am delighted that they have such a good restaurant on-site. The prices are very reasonable and they also offer reasonable prices for kids. Alicia is such a great part of the wait staff and we always look for her when we eat there. I enjoy their lighter fare salads with seafood. And the weekly comfort food specials (barbecue chicken!) are yummy. I looked around for other places to eat within walking distance of the hotel and the Peabody Institute, and always end up back at George's.

• Visited July 2013

Rockland, Maine
“A Hidden Treasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

During a crippling heat wave this past week, I went with three friends to have dinner at George's. We quick-stepped our way across the steaming asphalt from my friend's house at Mount Vernon Square to have a most wonderful dinner in a charming hotel dining room. Granted it was a night for salads and so we did...the Pittsburgh on greens with steak and a lump crab meat on greens. One in our party had the hamburger with a side of waffle "frites." The viniagrette with our salad was perfect, the greens crisp and refreshing and the steak done to perfection. No one else was drinking, but I had a very nice Cabernet with my Pittsburgh salad. Our server, Melody, was a whirlwind of efficiency as the dining room filled with guests from the hotel. In the event you want to try a little corner of the Square that's off the usual tourist track, I highly recommend George's. Its just a block up the street from the Walters. Ask for a window seat . I found everything on the menu (including the wines) to be very reasonably priced. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
“Great Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the hotel. The staff went out of their way to provide some toddler friendly options for our family. Thanks!

Visited May 2013
West Palm Beach, Florida
“A very unsatisfying dinner at George’s Restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Three of us went to George’s Restaurant in Mt. Vernon with anticipation. We really wanted to like it; unfortunately, we were disappointed on so many levels. We arrived there tonight, Saturday May 11, 2013, in a heavy rain to eat dinner before going to Center Stage. Our reservation was for 6:00, and we arrived at 5:45. When we arrived, although it was not at all crowded, we stood there for over five minutes before the bartender waved us to just sit anywhere. There was no host or hostess to seat anyone, and no one came up to us to tell us to seat ourselves. There were only five occupied tables, two of which were almost finished with their meals, yet it took our server another ten minutes before she came over and gave us menus. After another ten-minute wait, she took our drink orders, and we gave her our appetizer and entrée orders at the same time. We sat at our table without drinks, bread, and napkins for another ten minutes which meant that we had sat there with no food or drinks now for 30 minutes. She brought the beers, and my friend’s glass was chipped on the rim, so she asked for another glass. Although the beer was draft, and although the bar area was empty except for 5 people sitting at the bar, another 5 minutes passed before she got her beer. Our large potato chip appetizer with pico de gallo and blue cheese arrived in another few minutes, and it was the highlight of the dinner. The chips were fresh and were complimented by the tangy blue cheese. Our dinners arrived, and the server asked us if we wanted some rolls. Although it would have been nice during the ½ hour we sat at our table with nothing to munch on, it was unnecessary now because our dinners came with rice. My husband and my friend had each ordered the New York strip steak. What arrived weren’t New York strip steaks. We grill frequently at our home and buy prime meat. New York strips either have the long bone that separates the filet from the strip in a Porterhouse steak, or, if they are cut from the bone, they do not have a bone at all. These steaks were thin, about ½ inch, were not 12 oz. as advertised, and had a round bone in each of them. New York strip steaks do not have a round bone. These steaks were advertised as New York strip steaks, and they were not NY strips. They were also not tender. From my extensive experience cooking and serving steaks over many decades, I would identify these as round bone sirloins, a cheaper cut of meat. In addition, everything including the rice was terribly oversalted. Because of this, I could not finish my crabcake or filet. This was not the fine dining experience we expected. Because of the delay in getting our food, we didn’t complain but just ate some of our food and left. Unfortunately, because of this unsatisfying dining experience, we will not return to George’s.

• Visited May 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Flowers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great flower show during the spring .The houses leading to the square are spectacular to view. There is great entertainment all day long

Visited May 2013