“Outdoor Middle Eastern Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Desert Cafe - CLOSED

Desert Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mt. Washington
Baltimore, Maryland
“Outdoor Middle Eastern Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

This is a very small restaurant with a charming porch and sidewalk dining weather permitting.
Lite fair and entrees mostly Middle Eastern with luscious desserts.

• Visited September 2011

MD
“Ok, but not racing back.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

It's a really cute spot in Mt. Washington, as long as you don't mind bumping elbows, backs of chairs, etc. with the other diners. If you're a fan of cafe, bistro table seating and people watching, it definitely has that in its favor.
We had the Salmon special a few weeks back. It had a sirachi ailoi and was very good. The rice it was served with though was way, way too salty. We couldn't finish it.
The Spanakopita was very good, but far from authentic, so if you're okay with the dainty puff pastry type, you'll really like it. If you want the individual phyllo dough layers, look elsewhere.
The gyro was truly disappointing. I almost wanted to ask for something else, but refrained. There was not one good component of it - meat, bread, and sauce were all lacking. The salad that was served with it was very good though. It basically saved the meal.
We decided to splurge on desert and were pretty happy with a seemingly homemade peanut butter pie. Not so happy when we saw the price of it on the receipt - double what we thought reasonable.
I'm not saying I will never go back, but I'm not planning a return trip anytime soon.

• Visited September 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
“Huge Fan of Desert Cafe! Great desserts, gyros, and more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2009

Great gyros, spanikopita, curried chicken salad, and more. The flavored hummus on the weekends (Peanut butter and Jelly hummus? No kidding... Snickers hummus... wild stuff) is amazing, and the proprietor Blake makes some of the best desserts. They are also great for weekend belly dancing! Now, to be clear, this is not upscale middle eastern - but you can't beat it for the price, and you can sit outside with your kids and people watch in Mt.Washington Village.

Highly recommended!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“we love this place, the...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2008

we love this place, the owners are so nice and the flavored hummus is amazing.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Baltimore, MD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

The wife and I decided to try this place after ready several favorable reviews over the years. As a person of middle eastern heritage and a fan of good ethnic food I can only say that this place leaves much to be desired. While none of the food was terrible/inedible the authenticity and execution was certainly lacking. Our stuffed grape leaves were advertised as hand made- which I mistakenly took for home-made but they were clearly straight from a can. The gyro sandwich I had was classic frozen gyro slices and for the price they charge was definately not worth it. My wife ordered the grilled chicken kabob which was both over seasoned with herbs and must have been grilled over an electric griddle or something- definately no charcoal flavor. As for the desserts- One of the reasons I wanted to try the restaurant was for its homemade offerings but perusing the case left me quite uninspired. Several versions of cheesecake, etc. but nothing to write home about.

I guess its location and the type local clientele it serves consider it to be a cute little place but I would not go out of my way for a visit nor would I recommend this place to anyone that is looking for an authentic experience.

BTW, the night we were there had a belly dancer and they really cranked up the music way to loud to the point of distraction.