“Duff was wrong, in my opinion.”
Review of Cafe Zen

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cafe Zen
Ranked #620 of 2,028 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Chinese
Falls Church, Virginia
“Duff was wrong, in my opinion.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stopped at Cafe Zen based on a recommendation from Duff of Charm City Cakes on the Food Network "Best Thing I Ever Ate - With Chopsticks". We ordered what Duff recommended which is the Crispy Beef and several other things including the Curry Chicken, Mu Shu Chicken and Pad Thai. It was all very good but probably the weakest dish we tried was the Crispy Beef. It was certainly tasty but it was very sweet, almost cloyingly sweet with sauce that was very thick. As the dish cooled, it hardened on the plate so hard that we had to pry it off with a fork. Duff described it as sweet and spicy but ours wasn't spicy at all so perhaps it would better if it was and the beef was cooked so hard that was more crunchy than chewy, the thicker pieces were more enjoyable. We started calling beef toffee.

That said, the overall meal was excellent, the other three dishes were all very tasty, we would definitely go back but might not order the crispy beef, or perhaps we would just to see if it was different.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank John S

“Asian but Different”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Not your regular Chinese restaurant, more of a mix of Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, etc. A little of everything and a bright relaxing ambiance. Seating not so comfortable. Decorations a bit stale.

1 Thank Martha0107
“Very good”
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

My favorite place for Chinese in Baltimore. Love the garlic string beans

“My favorite place”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Ive been going here since I was a little kid, and I still order the exact same thing I did then: shrimp fried rice with no onions (the best fried rice I've ever had) and broccoli in gowbah (yup, I butchered that spelling. I know.). I've been given some trouble when ordering over the phone with the odd broccoli order, but they usually give in in the end. It's not a problem for Jo, the wonderful woman who runs the place; she places our order the moment we walk in the door. Excellent service, excellent food.

1 Thank sophfree
Baltimore
“Standard Chinese”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

The restaurant is pleasant with good service. The food and atmosphere are average, but the prices are unusually reasonable.