“Best Lunch Downtown”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Since I worked only a block away from Sascha's, it was only natural to initially drop by to sample the restaurant which had grown from a catering business that went ballistic. The restaurant is just as good with a real difference in styles between daytime and evening dining.

During the day, Sascha's serves cafeteria-style from a long curving buffet that offers fabulous sandwiches made from a lot of homemade ingredients (like an incredible spicy shrimp salad or a chicken salad with grapes and almonds) and even a daily list of paninis that are always inventive and juicy! One day there might be a Cuban-style panini complete with pickle inside, another day it could be a reuben or another day Danish ham with wonderful cheese and mustard, all of them on great bread!

There are the chopped salads with a plethora of choices for your own ingredients - you get to choose a meat and several other elements as well, as your own kind of dressing. It all goes into a large bowl where it is tossed and then dumped on a huge cutting board where a big curved knife chops it into bites of mixed goodness and delivers it into a large ceramic bowl to your table.

In addition, there is always a hot main lunch course as well where you can choose your own side dishes - this can vary from a curry to chicken and dumplings to a stew, or maybe an Asian dish or a chili. There is no end to the imagination of Sascha Wollhandler and her husband Steve who are often there to help with serving, making, anything that needs doing. And friendliness? Through the roof! The clientele is very eclectic with a lot of tourists from the art museum across the street and musicians from the conservatory a half block away. Always an interesting conversation on which to eavesdrop!!

In the evenings, Sacha's becomes a full service restaurant with flowers on the tables, an attentive wait staff and a menu that features the same variety as the daytime offerings, but of course with many more full entrees and small plates. You can go crazy with an Indian appetizer, an Italian salad an an Asian entree!!! The food is very well prepared under Sascha's constant supervision and diverse palate.

I have never walked out disappointed, whether it was a pre-concert dinner or a lunch with colleagues or clients. One of the bright stars in the firmament of Baltimore's best restaurants!!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I had a great lunch here on 4/2/12: the Angus sliders with fries, pickle and cole slaw. The sliders were done quite rare (they didn't ask me how I wanted them) but they were delicious, and surprisingly not that expensive given the high-quality beef. I can't really comment on the service, as it's more or less cafeteria-style for lunch. Everyone seemed friendly enough, though. The restaurant is beautiful inside and out, and is a lovely place to chill for a bit with some food and drink.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was the first place we ate after we arrived in the area - for lunch. So delicious and fresh. Loved the options they offer for salads, and the dressings were delicious. Perfect portion size and the restaurant holds a lot of people and has big tables for larger parties. Would definitely go back here!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Sascha's 527 Cafe is aways a pleasure to visit! Each time the menu is packed with enticing choices you can't pick just one! Thankfully, in addition to full entrees, they offer taste plates. Our group of 4 picked 2 or 3 each and shared so I was able to try many of the delightful dishes Sascha's offers. The shrimp and grits were amazing... creamy grits and spicy perfectly cooked shrimp! the Scallops were sweet and perfectly seared with an interesting pumpkin sauce. My husband had the bison and crab sliders both delicious! The short ribs were tender and succlent! We also enjoyed salads, calamari and the seared tuna. Nothing dissapointed! The atmosphere is warm and cozy decorated in a funky and eclectic fashion wtih local artwork and the charming details of an old baltimore row home. The owners, Steve and Sascha, made a visit to our table! Perhaps because our dining companion is also an employee. I think that says alot about a restaurant if employees want to return for dinner after working there all day! An excellent evening was had by all! We will return again and again!

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Sascha's is located in the historic Mt. Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore...an area of rustic urban charm. I've been to Sascha's a few times, and every time I go, I love the food. On my last visit, a friend and I ordered several of the appetizers along with a glass of wine. We decided not to order entrees, mainly because all of the appetizers sounded so good. Well, we ate and ate, and ended up taking one of the appetizers home because we were so full. My friend ordered the pan seared scallops and was thoroughly happy with her choice (hard woman to please). We also ordered calamari which was done very well, crab cake sliders...exceptional in taste, and the baja tacos with salmon...another unbelievably flavorful appetizer. Because we were so full, i took home the shrimp and grits, but before I went to bed, I had them as a late night snack. Bottom line, whenever I'm thinking of a nice little place to take friends for dinner, Sascha's is at the very top of the list.