“Alsatian Wine Dinner”
Review of Petit Louis Bistro

Petit Louis Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Petit Louis Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 2,054 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Upland Street
Description: Tony Foreman and Cindy Wolf’s uptown eatery features classic French Bistro fare, an extensive, award winning French wine list & a lively Parisian atmosphere.
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I lived in Germany for 23 years and used to visit Alsace 2-3 times a month. It is one of my favorite places. So, when Petit Louis announced a 4 course Alsatian Wine Dinner, we had to go. First, I want to say that Pettit Louis is one of my favorite restaurants, but this dinner was not one of their finer moments. The only thing Alsatian about this dinner was the wine and their pairings were somewhat strange and non-traditional. The aperitif wine was a Cremant d’Alsace from Lucien Albrecht and Gruyere cheese gougeres. My first glass tasted cooked with a slightly sherry flavor. The second glass was fine. The gougeres were good, but a few came out too late and were cold. The first course was a onion tart (a traditional dish in France and Germany at this time of the year). The portion was huge. It was like getting a huge slice of pizza. However, the tart recipe was NOTHING like anything from Alsace or Germany. This dish usually consists of a pie pastry filled with carmelized onions, smoked bacon and a crème fresch custard. This one was the same color as pumpkin pie and tasted like it. Weird! They paired a sweet Chasselas and a dry Muscat from Zind-Humbrecht. Also strange. The Alsatians normally drink either a neuer wine or a Pinot Gris with this. The second course was Choucroute Garni with Pork Shoulder, small pieces of bacon that they incorrectly called lardons, boiled potatoes and German bratwurst and beef wurst. They brought it out in a huge paella pan (WTF!) and served it from there. Some of it arrived cold rather than hot. The cabbage was not Alsatian Choucroute. It was a mildly sour brown colored (braised in beer maybe?) German sauerkraut. Choucroute is supposed to be braised in either Riesling or Cremant and is very mild. The meats are normally a smoked pork chop on the bone, speck (thickly sliced smoked pork belly on the bone), potatoes and smoked sausages that are distinctly different those found in Germany. They served bowls of Dijon Mustard, which was more like a very mild Dijon Style. Their mustard was definitely not the authentic Dijon mustard. Dijon Mustard is very spicy. Too bad. Alsatians normally drink Riesling with this. One of the wines served was a Riesling and the other was a fat Pinot Gris, formerly called Tokay d’Alsace. Both were decanted for some unknown reason. Age should not have dictated any need for decanting. Neither paired well with the dish, since this was Sauerkraut not Choucroute! Beer was more appropriate. A large protion and lots of leftovers that few took home. The 3d course was an Alsatian Muenster cheese course, reportedly. Muenster is located west of Turckheim and produces some of the stinkiest cheese in the world. This one was so mild and too young, as well as being pasteurized. Big Disappointment! Miss the stink. A gewuerztraminer was served that paired well because the cheese was VERY mild. They served a Kugelhopf for dessert with coffee crème anglaise that was nice and relatively authentic. We drank a shot of Trimbach Mirabelle Brandy. The food was good, but definitely NOT Alsatian.

There are newer reviews for Petit Louis Bistro

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went to Petit Louis for a trip luncheon on a Friday midday. The restaurant was quiet. There were 8 in our party. As everyone did not arrive at the same time, There was no problem in seating us. I have been to other restaurants that will not seat you unless the entire party is there.
The waiter was very helpful and several tmes assisted our party with their orders.
However, this restaurant appears to have an older clientele. it is not the restaurant for a family with children or a young (20's or even 30"s) unless they are attending their grandparents dinner or lunch.
i was a little disappointed in my platter. I had ordered the ham and cheese. It came out as a ham and cheese grilled sandwich. Very greasy ( too much butter for my liking). The cheese was perfectly melted. However, from the descritption, I felt that this should have been a lighter pastry type bread with a filling of ham and cheese.

Overall, most of the elderly people in my party were extremely satisifed with their meals.
Would recommend for an older crowd.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were in Baltimore for my wife's 50 reunion and selected this restaurant for dinner. We had reservations for 4 at 7:00. The restaurant was very noisy. So loud that we had difficulity hearing the waitress and each other. I ordered a Jack Daniel's on the rocks. There was almost no Jack in the glass. I ordered a radish appetizers. It was about six radishes and cold butter. I also had the Lamb Steak special. the lamb was tough and not cooked to medium rare. Both dishes were well below my expectations. The only items someone really liked was the onion soup and Frites.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

At last a place where once can have a 6 people luncheon conversation without having to scream at each other across the table.
Very diverse food, leading towards "creative French" (a little heavy on salt on some dishes) with very fresh ingredients and original combinations thereof, extremely well prepared, served very professionally. Good wine selection.
Perfect for a luncheon meeting.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had an incredibly delish eggplant-tomato-chevre-pesto appetizer, also the quiche Lorraine with salad was wonderful, and the latter was a full plate for a mere $12. Husband loved his French onion soup, said it was the best onion soup ever, also his chicken paillard was great, but he wished for a bigger portion. I liked that I was able to taste the wine by the glass before I was poured a full glass, because I was able to change my mind. Also, they will serve a 3 ounce pour if that's all you want, just ask. It was very noisy, making it hard to talk at times, because they fit so many tables in the rooms, but that is actually authentic French (we had a woman from Paris with us, and she felt at home). Will go back soon!