“Spicy food upon request - yay!”
Review of Banthai Restaurant

Banthai Restaurant
Ranked #689 of 2,055 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I like some Thai dishes extremely spicy, but most restaurants won't make it this way even when we ask. (We're white, and I know the Caucasian-American and Asian definitions of "spicy" typically differ considerably, but it would be nice to get authentic food when I'm in the mood for it.) Not Ban Thai! They gave us a dish of different chili preparations with our meals so we could adjust the spice level accordingly - it turned out to be an amazing meal. Everything we ordered the three times we were there was wonderful, and if we still lived in the area we would be regulars. I remember it being pretty inexpensive, but the atmosphere is not as nice as other Mt. Vernon restaurants so it is priced accordingly. (That's okay - we were there for the food!)

There are newer reviews for Banthai Restaurant

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Judging from the number of Thai people stopping here also, it is popular and authentic. The Pad Thai I had was plentiful and delicious. Reasonable price as well. A nice place for dinner.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

The best Thai food you will ever eat. Authentic dishes prepared to your satisfaction. The menu is very broad. Service is good. Atmospher is quaint.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Located in the Mount Vernon Historic district in Baltimore, this restaurant offers excellent Thai food with authentic preparations in a relaxing atmosphere. The waitress was very helpful and provided suggestions on the options available. After studying the menu, I decided on shrimp dumplings and Guay Teow Kee Mao. Both were superb, nicely prepared, and delicious with ample portions. And the level of spiciness was apropriate and satisfying. The waitress even brought us a spice tray with four sauces for added condimentation. It was fun to explore the various taste and varieties. For dessert, I ordered mango ice cream, equally superb. I plan to return soon so that I can explore the other options on the menu. The prices were also very reasonable given the other restaurants in the area.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Randomly stopped in here for take-out on a trip to Baltimore, and I LOVED the red curry. The flavor was awesome, and it was the perfect level of spice. The server who helped me out was friendly, and the service was fast. While that's the only thing I can say, based on how good it was, I'd go back and try other things!