“A great neighborhood place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gecko's - CLOSED

Gecko's
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canton
Vancouver, Canada
“A great neighborhood place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Have not been to Gecko's for some time but we still love it. Not fancy but in our experience always excellent (not gourmet as one expect of a neighborhood pub). The teriyaki salmon is a favorite and has never disappointed us. The crab quesidillas were the best ever according to my wife, a quesadilla aficionado. And finally the CC Mahattan's made by Nick have moved to my lifetime number 2 spot. Service friendly, not pushy. I would recommend Gecko's to those from out of town maybe at a meeting in Baltimore to try. This is where people congregate for good food, atmosphere and reasonable prices.

Ocean City, Maryland
“Very Very Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We live about three hours from Baltimore and were introduced to this very tasty eating establishment by our granddaughter - we were impressed. I love homemade soups - and on my first visit ordered the beef and borcht soup. When I knew we were driving to Baltimore I called and specifically requested this soup. The chef complied and served the soup himself. It was very good - could have used more beef. My husband and I then ordered coconut shrimp and chipolte bbq wings - which were very meaty and tasty. The offering of salsa and chips were so different and now cannot even think of going to a "mexican restaurant" that serves factory manufactured chips. The service was spot on, the atmosphere relaxed - treated as valued customers. Must be other good places in Baltimore to eat but I choose Geckos.

• Visited August 2012
Chester, NH, USA.
“Fair at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

There are certainly many fans of this establishment as indicated by the reviews. After eating there the other night, I can't say I'm one of them. I must say that I went there primarily after reading about the cozy and super-friendly atmosphere afforded in the restaurant. As far as Tex-Mex goes, it's usually a pretty safe bet - easy to prepare food, and typically quite filling.
The biggest issue was the very poor service. At approx. 7pm on a Friday night we were seated in the second-level dining room where there were two other parties dining - VERY QUIET. Roughly 8-9 tables in all on the floor. We sat for 6-7 minutes before anyone came over to inquire about beverages (or greet us, or anything else). During this time, tables right next to us were bussed and re-set without so much as a hello from anyone. It was really quite astonishing. We were made to feel as though we didn't exist. It then took 5 minutes to receive the drinks. 11 or so minutes is an incredibly long time from being seated to getting a drink - especially when the place was dead. We ordered nachos as an appetizer and at the same time we ordered our entrees. While waiting for our nachos is when we almost left. 21 minutes for a pile of chips with melted cheese. C'mon. Did I say it was DEAD! There were two girls who were serving. Only one of them apparently was responsible for us. After she took our beverage order, she walked back to her computer terminal - just across from us - and played on the computer and her phone. I assumed she was putting in the drink order, but when she just stayed there and kept working (or whatever else she was doing) on the computer, I couldn't help but wonder "why the heck isn't she getting our drinks"? The restaurant is very small. It should have taken no more than two minutes to get the drinks - the bar is immediately downstairs (five stairs). During this time, the other girl came back on the floor and proceeded to re-stock clean glasses on a shelf while also fully ignoring us. The lack of awareness and attentiveness was unbelievable.
As far as the food goes - chicken fajitas - standard Tex-Mex fare anywhere - were flavorless and dry. Really? Dry chicken? Haven't most restaurants figured that one out by now? The BBQ beef enchilada was prepared with a sort-of Caribbean/mango twist; the sauce was super sweet and fruity with little BBQ flavor at all. I suppose this was just the cooks creation and appeals to some, but I found the flavor combination of the beef and sweetness really odd and not good.
Many reviewers will write that "they are in the restaurant business themselves and......" Well, I too, have been in the restaurant business for a long time (17 years), and the reputation of the large chain concept I work for rests on the sense of urgency and awareness we impart upon our guests. We would be dead if we ignored customers like that....

• Visited July 2012
“If you like good food, excellent service in a inviting atmosphere, you need to make your way to Geckos!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

If you live in Maryland and you haven't been to Geckos, then you need to make tracks and get down to Southeast as quick as you can! Between the outstanding food or the kick a@$ service, this place can't be missed. You will immediately feel at home when you set foot inside this Baltimore landmark.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Canton's Very Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

Where to start?! Almost 2 years ago my boyfriend and I went to Geckos for a first date and have been going back ever since. I have been with friends, family, and of course the b/f. Whether it's been a Tuesday night for Sangria a weekend night out or a Sunday brunch, everyone we have taken has been beyond impressed!

The food is delicious and the staff is always so friendly! It's a great atmosphere and I couldn't find one negative thing to say about the place no matter how hard I tried.

• Visited January 2012