“Good Greek Food, Puzzling Service”
Review of Kali's Court - CLOSED

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Fells Point
Cross street: Broadway & Thames
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I enjoyed the food at Kali's very much, with a few reservations regarding the service. The place is trying to be very high end and will try to convince you that you need to order three or four "plates" to make a meal, but the portions are actually pretty generous and we were both fine with two plates and a drink. The salads are particularly generously sized, and the fatoush was delicious. I ordered the grape leaves/dolmades and received four and a nice side portion of tzatziki, and they were delicious even though I have never had rice dolmades served hot. We also liked the moussaka and pastitsio.

The strangest thing that happened during our meal involved our drink order. I first ordered a Riesling, but the waiter told me they were out of it, so I ordered another white wine. My companion ordered a Cabernet Sauvignon, and the waiter brought it and announced it as a Sauvignon--but it was white. We were both pretty strung out from a long day and the waiter was pretty absent during our meal, so my friend just went ahead and drank it. At the end of the meal when the waiter brought the check we asked him about the wine and apparently he must have written Sauvignon Blanc; he apologized, but made no move to check our bill to make sure it was correct. For a "nice" restaurant, I thought the service was just lacking a little bit.

2  Thank develbow
There are newer reviews for Kali's Court

Reviewed August 9, 2013

What brought us here was the allure of Greek Tapas. This place is amazing! We were so enthralled we came back everyday for 3 days straight until we tried most of the tapas on the menu! The wines were great also. Next time we're in Baltimore, we're definitely coming back, and hopefully we'll be able to pry ourselves away from this place and try something different. The staff was great also!!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Kali's Court is known for being one of the best restaurants in Baltimore. I had really high expectations before I went, but I came out of the dining experience feeling that it was just decent. First, I'm not a fan of dimly lit space, where I can barely see my date's face. And secondly, Kali's Court has a large selection of seafood entrees, all are actually pretty good, but for their prices I strongly believe I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere.

However, I must give ample praise to Kali's Court's selection of desserts and its attentive waiters. I believe this is one of its strongest areas. If their dessert maker/chef/baker/team were to leave and start their own dessert-only business, I would be a regular patron.

Final thoughts: Taking someone to Kali's Court would be a great way to impress him/her. Be prepared to squint to see your date. If you can afford to go to Kali's Court, you may have likely had better food for the price. Dessert is a must. Make sure you have room for it.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I think we have found our new "go to" special occasion restaurant. We decided to try some new places since this is Restaurant Week. We love Mediterranean cuisine and Kali's restaurant week menu offered more choices than most other restaurants we considered. The building itself is quite lovely and has a huge ornate wooden bar. Everyone from the valet to our server was friendly, professional, and efficient. Jonathan our server was very attentive and explained the dishes in detail. I started with the crab and artichoke phyllo crisps and had the turbot for my entree. The dessert plate was an offering of four different sweet treats. My husband had the tuna tartar and the Chilean sea bass -- both of which were also excellent! Another nice feature is the selection of half bottles of wine. We plan on going back soon since my birthday is coming up.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The maitre de was very nice, he was able to seat our party of 8 right away without a reservation, on a friday night at 8:30! it was 95 degrees outside, and close to 80 degrees inside where we were seated. food was very good, service was attentative. a little pricey but fair value.