“Slipping - Dirty table cloths, mediocre sushi, unpleasant waitress”
Review of San Sushi Too

San Sushi Too
Ranked #719 of 2,026 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Maryland
“Slipping - Dirty table cloths, mediocre sushi, unpleasant waitress”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We've been to Thai One on & San Shushi before. I always thought they had decent thai food, and fair sushi. When we saw a living social coupon we decided to go back. I'd read recent reviews and thought the food might have improved. I was wrong.

Entering the restaurant, a pleasant hostess seated us at a table. The tablecloth was stained, so we moved to another table. Before we sat down we realized this tablecloth was stained (soy sauce?) as well. Finally found a clean place to sit (restaurant was near empty on a Friday night) and looked through the menu. We like cooked sushi, and the choices were tired. But I remembered they had a chalkboard behind the Sushi bar, so we went up to find something that looked good. The Martin roll looked interesting, but the chalk board was smeared and difficult to read so we went back to our table and questioned the server about the roll. We told her we wanted to make sure all the sushi was cooked, and she assured us it was, and that this roll was interesting and favorable. We added an order of Chicken Satay and a Drunken Noodles.

The Sushi came out first - with a layer of raw scallops on top. When we questioned her about it, she said that the scallops were 'blanched" - Not exactly cooked, but not really raw. I tried it, found it rubbery and with a consistancy of raw scallops. My wife told her we specifically asked for everything on the roll to be cooked. Her response " OH, YOU CAN PICK IT OFF" and walked away. REALLY???????

The chicken satay was good and we enjoyed the peanut sauce that accompanied it. The Drunken noodles were also good. Neither were outstanding, but compared to the sushi that we should 'Pick off the semi-raw scallops", they were good.

When I did 'Pick off the scallops" I also lost the spicy mayo, so the roll had little taste. It was also soggy and separating each piece from its neighbor proved difficult.

Our waitress either quit during the meal or traded with another, because she didn;t make an appearance in our area for the rest of the meal. A very pleasant male waiter brought us our check and asked how we like our dinner. I told her we thought the sushi was sub-par, but like the satay and drunken noodles. His response? "I won't say anything to the Sushi Chef' REALLY? How about telling the owners.

We left very unsatisfied, and will NEVER go back.

• Visited October 2012

“Some Like it Spicy: Willing to Accommodate Special Requests”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were late night restaurant seekers on a Monday night, so we were happy to find Thai One On. Two in our party were vegetarian and two not, so this definitely was a great choice, too. Unlike many Thai restaurants, they were able to offer Pad Thai without fish sauce - hooray! Unfortunately, the request to add tofu resulted in huge chunks of deep fried tofu sitting on top, rather than strips of it integrated into the meal. Nevertheless, the food ws generous and we were hungry. The two of us who requested our meals spicy were not disappointed, and those who wanted no spice were happy, too. We had a 14 month old with us who was treated well by the staff, not looked upon as a messy pain, so that adds value!

• Visited September 2012
Towson, Maryland
“Fun place and great food!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We went here for New Years Eve. We had sushi and drinks, can I say EXCELLENT! We then went again to have dinner, still great food and wasn't disappointed. If you want truly hot, tell them you want it Thai hot, otherwise they will tone down the spices.

Visited June 2012
Bel Air, Maryland
“Great Every Time”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Every meal I've had here has been delicious. The drunken noodles are bursting with full thai flavors and the sushi is always fresh and meticoulously prepared. Pad Thai is fantastic as well. It is also the only place in Maryland I've found that has beef sukiyaki on the menu. The sukiyaki is served in a huge hot pot with perfectly balanced flavors. The prices are reasonable and the service is friendly and efficient.

• Visited June 2012
Maryland
“You'll find better sushi and Thai food elsewhere.”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I've been to this place several times over the past year, and the quality has just been going downhill.

Service is highly variable. There's one really good waiter who did an excellent job of accommodating a large group I brought in once, as well as my boyfriend and I when we go by ourselves. But when we don't get him as our waiter, service is bad to mediocre. Is it too much to ask for frequent water refills when I'm eating spicy Thai food?

Their Japanese food is mediocre. Their miso is overcooked consistently. On our last visit here, when I ordered Yaki Udon with chicken, the chicken was overcooked, dry, and barely edible. I don't recommend the sushi here, either. The fish just isn't that fresh. For similar prices you can get much better sushi at Yama Sushi in Hampden or Sushi Hana in Mt. Washington.

Some of their Thai appetizers, such as Larb Kai, are really good, but I wouldn't come here just for that. I'm disappointed because I used to really like this place, but I've found replacements for getting my fix of Japanese or Thai food.

• Visited March 2012